advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social Security (SSI) for Children with Diabetes?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Melinda26, May 7, 2010.

1. Melinda26

Melinda26 Approved members

I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried to get their child on disabilty from Social Security (SSI) because their child has diabetes. If anyone has if you don't mind telling me how did your case turn out? I was told to try and put my son on it because he's very young and has Type 1 diabetes and sometimes they consider that a disability even though it's a life disease. It's just taking them a really long time to come to a descion. Just wondering if any of tried this before.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Never even thought about it....

3. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

I never thought about it either, because I never considered Reann disabled.

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

Type 1 diabetes is not eligible for SSI...

5. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

To have type 1 and get SSI is very difficult. Also just because a person has what is considered a disability under the American With Disabilities Act doesn't mean they will qualify for SSI. Also with children they also look at the parents income.
    Here are the medical qualifications for SSI if your child has diabetes.
    109.08 Juvenile Diabetes Mellitus (as documented in 109.00C) requiring parenteral insulin. And one of the following, despite prescribed therapy:

A. Recent, recurrent hospitalizations with acidosis; or

B. Recent, recurrent episodes of hypoglycemia; or

C. Growth retardation as described under the criteria in 100.02.A or B; or

D. Impaired renal function as described under the criteria in 106.00ff.

Here is the link if you want to read more.

http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/109.00-Endocrine-Childhood.htm#109.08 Juvenile Diabetes Mellitis

The requirements are very strict and while you might think your child would qualify they most likely would not.

6. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

This question does come up a lot..I think Deafmack has the best answer when it comes to answering this...If your child is having severe difficulties with his type 1 then yes you should consider applying for SSI..(and I hope your child is not having the complications listed)....I personally would not apply for SSI in my daughters case...she is doing well..and no complications, etc..
    Your endo can probably help you through this the best...only you and he/she know your childs medical conditions/type 1 best..

7. Melinda26

Thanks everyone. I don't consider his diabeties to be a disability either that's why I wasn't. It's just that lpts of people keep telling me he could qualify even his Endo told me maybe and that I could try. I just wasn't sure what to do before I go through all that work and all that for trouble for nothing. Thanks for the advice I don't think I'll waste my time then.

8. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I don't consider it a disability and want Sam to see that it is just one of many challenges he may face in life. He plays sports, goes to friends houses, sleeps over, does everything and more that kids his age are doing:D

I sure don't want to try to "make" him disabled to qualify for social security. Did you know that if you are considered disabled that you cannot qualify for traditional insurance? Our kids are eligible in a little over 100 days, don't want to jeopardize that.

rgcainmd likes this.
  9. Melinda26

I totally agree. To me he's perfectly normal, but just requires a little bit more than other kids. I want him to feel normal and act like normal kids. To me he's no different than any other child really. we even check his bllod sugar and give his shots in public and doesn't even care. When people he just I have diabetes no big deal. So mature and better accepting for a child his age I think. My oldest son is Autistic so he thinks he has something like his brother sometimes. So I'm trying to teach him that he isn't like his brother just a normal kid and that all kids are different in their own special way. He's beginning to understand now. He really loves for me to read books made for kids about diabetes ti him. Those are his favorite books. I think that helps a lot. I was only asking because people keep asking me if I've considered that for him. I actually don't know why I even would consider it. Thanks everyone you all seem to feel pretty much the same as I do.:)

10. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

I met a young adult with type 1 D and is receiving SS, she is legally blind and in kidney failure. When she was diagnosed at age 13, she rebelled against insulin therapy and her parents. She drank, ate what she wanted without insulin coverage.

she is having diabetic complication. :(

11. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I think the important thing to remember is even if a child with diabetes qualifies for SSI because of diabetes and its related problems they may not qualify due to the financial income of the parents.
    My Nephew would automatically qualify on the basis of being blind, developmentally delayed and having a life-threatening seizure disorder, but doesn't qualify because of his parents' income.

12. MomColbert

MomColbert New Member

SSI Benefits for T1D in children

My son is nine and was diagnosed on the fifth of last month. At the time of his admittance we did not have traditional heath insurance coverage because his tribal bloodline covered his basic healthcare needs and I did not believe we qualified for supplemental state coverage. (We live in Oklahoma). Long story short when I visited the department of human services the social worker I met recommended I apply for SSI on his behalf. Not necessarily because he is disabled or should be viewed that way, but because if he were to have complications or problems with employers as he gets older, it would be to his benefit to havefunds built up. Made sense to me so we applied at the end of last month. I was told it will be between 4-6 months before I will hear anything at all from social security. I will post the outcome as soon as I hear.

13. tmjenkins

tmjenkins New Member

We are being told that in order to obtain MA from the State, we must apply for SSI and if we dont get it, we have to appeal and try again. If we get it, I will post to let you know.

14. Tomdiorio

Tomdiorio Approved members

When my son was dxed, the hospital staff told us of a Pennsylvania "loop hole" to get MA. But first you have to go through SSI. We were denied SSI because of income. I believe your income had to be at the "poverty" line to receive SSI. We were denied, then we could apply for state MA. Which we were approved regardless of income due to diabetes being considered a disability. I agree, I don't see it as a disability but the state does, as does the ADA. Which is a good thing because we would be shelling out approximately $1000 a month for supplies.
    I am not sure what other states have programs like PA, but I am very glad PA does.

15. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Certain states have Medical Assistance. Like you, I live in Pennsylvania, and we have this program. In order to begin the process, you must first apply for SSI, knowing that you'll be denied. Then you apply for MA. (We went through Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia - "CHOP" -- and they had an office who helped walk us through the whole process.)

While I don't consider my child disabled, I was unable to afford the cost of an insulin pump. Getting MA allowed us to get the assistance we needed to get him an insulin pump, which radically improved his blood sugars and lowered his A1C. In addition, when my husband suddenly lost his job and we had no insurance, MA took over and my son was able to seamlessly get the care he needed.

16. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

We are in PA and was told at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh that any child with diabetes is eligible for MA, but not SSI. I never had to apply for SSI. Thank goodness for MA covering everything. We would be doing mail order if we didn't get it because the cost at pharmacies is soooo high! We also have a program that pays for a portion of your employer health insurance to save costs on MA. That depends on the cost of your insurance. I don't consider my son disabled because of his diabetes.

17. Ashleysue32

Ashleysue32 New Member

Hi my daughter is a Type 1 we she started getting sick at 16months old she was just a baby has had epilepsy seizures,Ciliac disease, and we tryed to get her disability at 2 they denied us and I then tryed again and started getting benefits when my daughter was 6years old and then 2 years ago they said nothing was wrong with her and we no longer get SIS for her we r still fighting she has been in the PICU in Akron Children's hospital 3 times for DKA since they stoped her payments its very stressful for my daughter and myself and if a drunk can get SIS then yes UR Child should get it as well

18. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I don't understand what them stopping her payments has to do with her being in the PICU 3 times since they stopped?