- advertisement -

Social Anxiety

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Izzi, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Izzi

Izzi Approved members

Hi guys. I've been wondering how many of you (if you have d) or your child has a social anxiety? I know I experiance it a lot and sometimes wonder if its related to d or what. I am not good in social situations-- even with people I am really close to. I can't talk to my aunt without stumbling on my words, or getting sweaty palms.
    High school has been rough. Lunch is terrible for me. I hate being in such a big crowd. My high school is fairly big-- about 1600 students and the halls always create a panic for me. I get so nervous. And having my best friend move isnt helping either...while my other one doesn't care anymore. (Sorry, started complaining and carrying on :eek: )
    So do you have any experiance with social anxiety???

Thanks
    Izzi:)

2. Izzi

Izzi Approved members

Also-- I know 1600 kids isn't that big for some, but my elementary school had 100 kids, then the middle school about 350...so it was a big jump for me

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

In high school I had permission to be late to all of my classes because I was scared of the crowd in the hallways, but what I actually did was be ready when the bell rang and speedwalk to my next class fast enough that the students would just be coming out when I was ready to go in. I left high school partly because I was having panic attacks.
    I was later diagnosed with generalized anxiety, although the therapist said it wasn't really a perfect fit diagnosis.
    I was diagnosed with diabetes while I was in college.

4. mocha

mocha Approved members

I had issues well before being diagnosed with d, but I'm sure d didn't help.

Depression, symptoms of PTSD and OCD...yeah, high school wasn't super awesome.

My freshman year of highschool, I went to a school with 2400 students (also a huge jump for me...middle school was 30 kids tops per grade). The hallways were also overwhelming, especially at first. I think what helped me was treating it like a game--which routes are the quickest and avoiding trouble spots (like where the drunk/high kids would hang out, bottlenecks, etc.). The quicker my time, the less time I was in that terrible hallway system, and then I could compete against my times.

I'll be honest--that high school didn't work out after that year, and I only spent two years at the following high school (about 1000 students), and then spent my senior year at the local college.

College is nice. Even though there were many, many more students at my university (18,000 the place I went my senior year, about 40,000 where I went to real college), it was somehow less stressful. Not exactly sure why.