- advertisement -

So whos gotten their seasonal flu shot already?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Adinsmom, Oct 9, 2009.

?

Have you gotten seasonal flu shot yet

1. Yes

40 vote(s)
    54.1%
  2. No, dont plan to

17 vote(s)
    23.0%
  3. No, but will

15 vote(s)
    20.3%
  4. I like to vote or other (if other please explain)

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

I am hoping to get the family shot tonight. Last year the hospital had a booth set-up at the church carnival bazaar. The kid's didn't mind getting them so much cause of the promise of food/games/carnival rides afterwards. *crossing my fingers*

Anybody not going to get shot this year? Why?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  2. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

Myself, and both kids have gotten ours.

3. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

Tresston, my Dh, and myself got the shot....My youngest threw a fit and got the mist. This is our first year with one of us doing the mist...we will see how it goes.:cwds:

4. Mom_to_4_Princesses

Mom_to_4_Princesses Approved members

I got mine two days ago as did my daughter Bella. My husband got his yesterday. My other three children are going to get theirs next week.

5. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

Basically, just because we have never had our kids take them in the past for the seasonal flu. Some years some will get it, other years, we don't. In part, I've never been able to wrap my head around the idea of administering a vaccine for last years flu strain. This years will more than likely be different. The other part has just been my own observation (right or wrong I don't know). It seems to me that family members that generally do get their flu shots get the flu anyway. It's kind of an ongoing joke in our family, "Yup... that flu shoot worked real good... I certainly have the flu."

The H1N1 I am considering, but I not rushing to the Dr's office for it. One of our doctors comments made very good sense to me. The swine flu itself is not so terrible, it's that it will be so quickly and widely spread due to the fact that there are so few individuals that have ever been exposed to the strain that has health officials so concerned. So if there were 1 death per 1000 of people that had the normal OR swine flu, no one would be quite so concerned. What IS a concern, is that, say, in a population of 100,000, 10,000 people would have the normal flu and 100 people may die due to flu related complications. By comparison, in a population of 100,000 people, possibly 60,000 people might contract the swine flu, and 600 people might die.

A 600% increase in flu related deaths per capita 'does' become an issue. It's not necessarily that H1N1 itself is so much more potent.

6. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I got it at work about 2 weeks ago.

7. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

I got it at college about 3 weeks ago. I get the flu shot every year. Since I have D and asthma, the flu isn't something I or my doctors want to mess around with. We won't even mention how much my mom would freak out with me being away from home...

8. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

the boys got theirs last week. My doctor's office still doesn't have it. I'm still on the fence about the H1N1 shot.

9. Kayla and Ethan's Mom

Kayla and Ethan's Mom Approved members

My husband and I had ours a couple of weeks ago. Both kids got the mist last Wednesday. 1st time for the mist, so far so good!

10. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

The one and only time I got the seasonal flu shot I had a terrible reaction. Was told to never get it again.

11. wilf

wilf Approved members

none available here yet..

12. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

I got mine last week. They were doing them for all the teachers before school for no charge and will be back to do the swine flu one when its available and the high risk people are done.

Nobody else has gotten one, but I need to take Kylee to have hers. I promised the endo I would.

13. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I voted other - Ian's received his but the rest of us have not (none available).

14. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

Dh and I got the flu shot last night but kid doses aren't in yet. :( They are hoping to have them by the 20th in time for their drive thru clinc. Has anyone done a drive thru flu shot with their kids, can you order a side of fries with it? ;) Just joking, I am very happy about how cost effective (free), inventive and easy they are making it to get the flu shot.

15. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I still don't know.:( The kids and I have never gotten any, but this year I'm not so sure. DH has always gotten it and will also this year.

16. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

My family has never gotten flu shots or the flu but with Joseph being high risk now all five of us went in this year. When the ped wanted to give Joseph his he said only if I got one first so the nurse did me then him. He was really excited that the whole family was getting them , even his sister in college.

17. mollgirl

mollgirl Approved members

Jason and Emma got theirs. I haven't gotten 1 yet and last year hubby had a bad reaction to the flu shot so he probably won't get one.

18. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

All four in our family did it.

19. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

Kids did, but not me. There were so many sick kids waiting to be seen while we were there this morning to get the shot I totally wanted to run back out the door. YIKES!
    The hand sanitizer people must be making a killing this year.