- advertisement -

So, when is it time to change the sensor?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dqmomof3, Feb 3, 2009.

1. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Our sensor will soon be at the end of its second 72 hour cycle. Now, tell me if I am right on this one. When this sensor ends, in about six hours, if I want to leave the same one in, I have to take off the transmitter but try to keep the sensor in place. I need to recharge the transmitter (how long does that take, by the way?) and then reconnect, recover with Tegaderm, and tell the pump that there is a new sensor.

Is there any way to know if you've dislodged the sensor when you do all of this? This is one still pretty accurate, so I don't want to change it unless I need to, but I don't mind changing it if that's safer.

What shall I do? ;)

2. alismom

alismom Approved members

I don't know about the mm sensors but with dexcom, we don't take anything off. We simply press the buttons that tell us to discard the sensor, pretend we did, and press to start "new" sensor. For us, we never remove anything to restart.

3. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Don't remove the transmitter!!!

Just go to the CGM menu, and select "NEW SENSOR". It should ask for a new BG in around 15 minutes if the BG is stable. Do a BG check and recal at that time.
    2 hours later, it will ask for a 2nd cal. After that, you're back on the 3-day cycle.
    At the 7th day, the transmitter must be removed and recharged.

Note - you don't have to wait for the 72 hours to expire before doing a New Sensor. You can plan it when
    convenient within the 72-hour period, keeping in mid that another cal is needed 2 hours later.

Disclaimer - Everything above was explained to us by our Minimed rep when we were trained, so I assume it is OK to post it here.

4. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

Ye..that is how you do it.. It takes about 30 min to recharge the sensor.

I use alcohol wipes to help take the tape off. Just be careful not to move the sensor too much when getting the tape off.

Afte you reconnect and it finds the transmitter, you can look at the isig. It should be at least 10% of what her bg is (it wont ask for a bg for 2 hrs). As long as you have a good isig then it should be good.

5. momtojess

We usually just go ahead and recharge after the 6th day, instead of restarting for 1 day, then charging the next day. If we are having a crazy day on day 6 and I dont want to go without the cgm for a few hours, then we hold off the charge till day 7.

6. dqmomof3

Tammy, you said you go ahead and recharge on the sixth day. So do you change the sensor or just recharge the transmitter?

7. dqmomof3

Darryl, does "at the 7th day" mean the first hour of the seventh day, or at the end of the seventh day? In five hours we will be to the end of the second 72 hour period of the sensor. Are you saying that if I tell it new sensor now, it will give me 24 more hours before I have to recharge?

8. momtojess

We always try to recharge and use the same sensor. Maybe 1 out of 10 times we arent able to get good #s are we are forced to change the sensor.

It gives you a whole 24 hrs. When your second 72 hrs is up, if it isnt a good time for you to recharge, then just hit new sensor. You then have 24 hrs to get it recharged before it will just "lose sensor". If you do new sensor, then later disconnect to recharge, when you hook it back up, you do a find lost sensor instead of new sensor.

9. dqmomof3

Thanks, Tammy! How long does the recharge take?

10. Isabelle's Mom

Isabelle's Mom Approved members

It usually takes us about 20 minutes to recharge the transmitter. When it stops blinking green on the charger, then you can remove it from the charger, wait a minute or two, then place it back on the sensor.

Also, I don't remove the Tegaderm when I take off the transmitter. I just cut around the transmitter carefully with nail scissors. This also minimizes your chances of dislodging the sensor.

11. dqmomof3

Ah, good idea, Lucy!

12. jendean

jendean Approved members

My best advice is to asses the site!
    Aside from just looking and feeling and assessing for redness and swelling and such...

smell it. (yes, smell it) is it stinky? does it smell like someone had a band aid on it for three days? Does it smell like feet? or cheese, or old milk, or worse?

Have someone else smell it too.

Your nose is one of the best indicators of infection. You can smell infection far sooner than you can see it in many cases.

If it is moist, or it smells, change it.

Sensors are expensive, but not irreplacable. Your childs flesh is NOT replacable, and with D, an infection can turn into cellulitis quick.

:)

13. dqmomof3

Good advice! I don't think I'll leave one longer than seven days. Makes me too nervous. I think I'd like to be able to change that site once a week :).

14. pdxmom

pdxmom Approved members

I have a question about the smell issue. Whenever we take off a sensor, usually at the 7 day mark, it ALWAYS smells nasty, but we've never had an infection. I assumed it was just because she sweats with sports and such and that moisture is trapped in there and gets stinky.

Has anyone else experienced a stinky smell all the time w/o there being an infection?

Debbie

15. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah, Jack's usually kind of smells after 7 days too. I always figured it was because the tape is watertight, and it just stinks from that area not being washed in 7 days. We've never had an infection either.

16. Isabelle's Mom

Isabelle's Mom Approved members

Ours always smell, too, and I always thought it might be (at least partly) due to the chemical reaction that takes place within the sensor.

17. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

The transmitter will stop transmitting, without warning, at the end of the 7th 24-hour
    period from when it was first installed on the sensor. If you install it Sunday at 8 PM,
    it will stop transmitting the following Sunday at 8 PM, regardless of how you schedule
    your 3-day sensor restarts.

If you recharge the transmitter on day 6, you are essentially resetting the 7-day clock,
    and starting the whole process again.

You can choose the New Sensor times to suit your schedule any time within the 3-day
    windows, but no matter what you do with the New Sensor scheduling, it will not affect
    the 7th-day automatic shutdown.

18. Mom to S&S

Mom to S&S Approved members

OK, I'm a little confused on the 7 day rule. Why does it shut down on day seven? We just started the MiniLink Transmitter in the last month. We've been changing every Sunday so we haven't gone 24 hours past seven days so we haven't had one tell us it was shutting down. The reason I am confused is that in our user's manual it says that the MiniLink battery life for a fully charged battery is 14 days so why would it shut down on day seven if it is still good for another week? Is this something specific to the Guardian and not the MiniLink? I thought they were the same thing. :confused:

19. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

after the first 3 days you can hit 'new sensor'.. don't bother undoing it and recharging it.. once you hit new sensor it'll take about 5 minutes for it to ask for a bg reading.. after the second 3 days (6 days in all) if we aren't changing the sensor I disconnect and recharge, then hit new sensor.. it'll take 2 hours for it to ask for a bg.. then repeat:)

20. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

it needs to be recharged so it automatically will shut down.. I also disconnect on day 6,whether I'm recharging or changing the sensor... when its convienent for us.. instead of having to do it on day 7..