- advertisement -

So upset and ANGRY!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BrokenPancreas, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Mel, it sounds like you were ambushed. :(:mad: Trust me, not all New Jerseyans are that ignorant. But I like to think that all New Jerseyans can be taught. :rolleyes: I agree, send them an email, maybe links to some other D websites and hopefully they will finally get it.

I like the sound of a great big CWD pool party -- pm me and I'll give you specific dates when I am not available and I promise to be flexible all other days. :D

And as far as school your DD is concerned, read up on this recently instituted law regarding CWD rights in New Jersey schools. Better (I think) than a 504 -- an IEP!

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I've been thinking about these 'ladies'..

They seem to me to be the 'committee type' :rolleyes: On their own and in a casual situation they're fine. Bring an occasion, group, social outing, school thing to their attention and they'll jump on it like fleas on a dog.
    They don't (I think) really mean (or know) what they're saying, but they are guessing what others might say and they want to beat them to the punch.. They would be horrified if another parent brought in-class testing to the attention of the school community so they're going to beat you down now... I've had a run in lately with one of 'those people' :(

I agree with the others, they are bullies (in their own way), don't waste your anger on them and keep coming here to vent... If it comes to a 504 you know the law is on your side.. :cwds::cwds:

3. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Well, I guess they flunked that lesson. Man I hate to think what they would do if my Nephew had a a major seizure with full loss of bodily function control with vomit and poop going everywhere. What do they think we bleed a bucketful everytime we test blood sugars or inject? You can tell those women from me to "Get a Life".

4. madde

madde Approved members

Shake it off....move on.....

You really don't have time for people like this in your life!:cwds:

5. CeeJay

CeeJay Approved members

This is a tuff one, but you will have to deal with it at some point, right? I would continue on, invite the girls over to play, etc. If the subject of D comes up with the moms, let them know firmly that until they educate themselves the subject of D is off the table and that they are not to discuss it with your child, either. If they seem remorseful or want to smooth things over, then maybe get to the root of the problem. What exactly are they afraid of? Do they think it is contagious? Do they think blood gets everywhere? Then offer to provide them with the documented information that will prove their fears are unfounded.

I have a sinking feeling, though, that these are people whose minds will not easily be changed. In that case, you may have to seek out other avenues for your daughter to make some friends in your new surroundings. There are so many good people out there that will not act as these two women did but will be willing to learn and love having your daughter as a friend to theirs. <3

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. It's hard enough making a move! Keep us posted and know we all support you!

6. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

I agree with this.

It sounds like the queen bees invited you into their nest, :( I know how you feel because it makes me so sad for you! and it reminds me of being setup three times myself when I thought I was just meeting with the school nurse, and walked into a trap. There were the school nurse, the district nurse, and the school principal. They were not nice. Do not meet with them alone, bring your husband, understanding friend or relative. It sounds like you did a great job of standing up for your daughter. Be glad that you never backed down.
    ((hug))

I'd say, let your daughter enjoy the friendships of the girls at your house, yard, if you still want that for her, but I wouldnt send my dd alone back into the queen's Beehive.:cwds:

It's only taken me a year to calm down.

7. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Thank you everyone for your kind posts, I'm still really upset, but I did talk to the school today, and thank you Barb for sending me the Bill for
    Jersey.

The law is on HER SIDE. They can gang up all they want, but my daughter can test IN CLASS if she so desires in New Jersey.
    If these two, or any other mothers decide to fight, the school is on L's side.

She's the only one in the school with D, so I guess I just have to hope for the best.

Again, thank you all for your support, you really have no idea how much I appreciate it.

8. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

I have no words to express my shock and anger.

Stupid ignorant people....

9. Mom2Michael

Mom2Michael Approved members

Oh I'd invite them over and tell them... "There is nothing to worry about with the diabetes but you might want to think twice before you sit down to pee, I'm not sure if this darn rash has cleared up yet"... and then scratch yourself down there... lmfaoooo. Sorry it's my sick sense of humor ;) Hopefully it made you laugh a bit.

10. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

I just about died laughing..everyone comes running to see if I am ok laughing!
    OMW thats hilairious!:D

11. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

Well that is a new one to me!
    I've had lots of confusion of type 1 with type II (You know the..... "well if she ate right and exercised she wouldn't need an injection" variety) but never concern about blood contamination.... that takes a case. Really weird people!

12. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

Everyone is nicer than NJ!! (apologies to Ro! You know you are the exception, not the rule!)

13. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Very good point! And I like that their forthrightness could lead to more teachable moments.

All EXCELLENTLY put.

To the OP, I'd put together a very calm response that lists all these way in which a D child is safer about blood-borne pathogens than most kids, and give it to them.

Make sure to talk to the school nurse about the situation as well, so that you can be a united front, and can provide education to the kids about D and insulin and shots....

14. Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom Approved members

First of all, let me say that I'm so sorry you have to deal with this situation.

You said you were new in the neighborhood . . . I'd take some time to get a 'lay of the land' before pursuing any further contact with these women, with the exception of compiling some print resources to give to them with the understanding that you will only speak to them again IF they carefully read through the resources you give them (choose the resources wisely ;)). If they do, and still don't get it, I'd say back off and just let them be boneheads amongst themselves :rolleyes:. Then make sure you get to the school officials with education about T1 before they do!

In the mean time, you might take some time to get to know some of the other folks in the neighborhood. You might, just in the course of conversation, let them know that you've gotten to know these women a bit (without telling about the confrontation you had), and just gauge the response you get from other folks in the neighborhood. Who knows, maybe you're just the 'fresh meat' on the block for these two women to pick on . . . Just take your time and choose your friends carefully. I'll pray that you and your daughter find some really great people to hang with :D.

As for the little girls playing together, I would under NO circumstances allow my child to be in the care of either of these women. Not in their yard, pool, or house. If their children wanted to come play under your supervision, fine. Keep things on your turf IF you decide that the children should be buddies.

Again, I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. Moving is hard enough. Hope it gets better real soon!

15. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Anyone who knows me knows that I am all about educating people on the facts of diabetes. However, some people are receptive to teaching, others are not. Everything you have said about these women lead me to believe they are not. Maybe I am just overtired and grumpy (dealing with lows till 3am), but I don't think you should waste another second of your emotions or time on these people. They have nothing to do with your school and have no say whatsoever in the management of your daughters diabetes at school or anywhere else. In my opinion, a better use of your time would be cultivating new friendships in the neighborhood. Just my two cents.

16. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Yes...we should..Barb is coming to my town...Broken Pancreas lives 5 minutes from me ...
    I feel so bad your neighbors are so rude and anal..Wow...how freaked out would 3 type 1 children make them...you just call me...:) those women upset you and well they are ignornant..feel sorry for them...they dont love L...they sound very phony...You got my number!!!

17. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

You got my number..I will be there...with bells on...and lots and lots of test strips...woo hoooo....Forget them ....they are not worth your friendship or L...friendship!!!!!!

18. MySweethearts

MySweethearts Approved members

:mad: WTH?????? Some people are so stupid!!!!!!!! I am so sorry you had to hear all of that nonsence they were spilling out of their mouths :mad: