- advertisement -

so sick of dexcom issues.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof2here, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

You say that you wish you could put it it in another spot. My guess is that his arms are not working any longer because of muscle, so you really need to try a different area. I would also eliminate the numbing cream. We put the Navigator on her arms but have only used abs for the Dex with great results. I was told that ??? are always the sensor. We are at 15 months on this system, so I was concerned that we may need a new one. We have seen ??? a few times with this sensor, but the numbers always come back within an hour or two.

2. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

3. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

I would push for them to replace your transmitter!! You are still under warranty. I seriously doubt it's a sensor issue. You have been doing this for this long without any problems. I would agree that they don't want to give you a whole new setup since your warranty is almost up. By the time they agree that it's a transmitter/receiver problem, your warranty will be up and you'll have to pay out of pocket! You shouldn't be experiencing problems like you are for this long! I hope they are at least replacing all your pulled sensors.
    Good luck!

I think with our first system, we had both the transmitter and the receiver replaced due to prolonged periods of ???. If I'm remembering correctly, they said if you have ??? often, the system is not communicating properly.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  4. emilyblake

emilyblake Approved members

how frustrating! I came back to read this thread to see if you had better luck.

I am only an expert at my own experience but if I was a betting woman I'd say maybe the arms aren't working b/c they are so lean or like you suggested there is some kind of malfunction.

When we got our new kit after the 1 year was up, i called dexcom customer service first and they said that b/c we get our supplies via Edgepark, they had to order the kit for me.

I called Edgepark and spoke to someone who basically just verified our info (after playing phone tag with me - mostly my fault). We had the new kit a few days later.

I really want to have faith in this for all of our sake.

i just had to call Dexcom tonight b/c we realized the receiver wasn't beeping (on the new one). they are sending a recplacement receiver (according to the support guy - we'll see).

It might sound stupid for us to not notice it but with the A/C being so loud at night we set alarms to wake up and check our daughter on schedule. When we went to FFL, and were all in the hotel room in close proximity, we realized it wasn't beeping!

5. swellman

swellman Approved members

Happened here once. We actually went through four receivers in 18 months. Admittedly one was replaced because pocket fuzz got into the unit and was partially obscuring the screen. We now put tape over the charge hole when not charging.

6. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

I am back with good news for the time being.... we haven't had ???'s for about 10 hours now and we have had readings. Some have been accurate and others, not. It has been wrong by about 30 points and it was not a time of eating or exercise or anything. I am just glad to see some numbers.

I am hoping it will work out - thanks again everyone! :)

My son is so sick of it, he is making sounds about not wearing a sensor anymore... that would be such a nightmare! His bg crashes by just blinking (okay, a lil' exaggeration). He really does drop easily, if anything changes in his routine.

I am hoping that this sensor will become more accurate and not give up and die... I can only hope!

7. swellman

Just keep in mind that 30 points is perfectly fine when actual BG is 300 and, for what it's worth, even at 100 a reading of 130 is perfectly acceptable when you have confidence in the trend of the graph - you can use that information very well.

My advice is not to get hung up on comparing the numbers but, instead, get used to watching the graph - not so much the arrows but the graph itself. Use it to learn spikes ( you can start to super-bolus with confidence ) and determine times when your basal might be off. I would never suggest to try to use it as a replacement for finger sticks but, instead, as a tool to better understand the intricacies of how foods, activities, etc., affect the body.

Knowledge is power and a working CGM is, in my opinion, king.

It can also cause a severe dependence ... so ... go with caution.

8. suz

suz Approved members

We've had similar problems the past couple of weeks. We had about 4 sensors in as many days. Just constant ???? and Sensor Error.

As we were on vacation at the time we haven't called them in, but plan to now we're home.

It's really frustrating, thankfully Dexcom are very good at replacing them else I'd be really peeved. But, like everyone else, we can't imagine life without Dex .....

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I don not officially overtape, but do somethime tape because of placement issues and the corners of the transmittter snag n clothing.

Yes I mean taking the transmitter off and cleaning the back of the transmitter, just like you should do before placing it in the sensor base.

10. swellman

I said sensor too and I meant transmitter as well. You can pull the clips carefully and remove the transmitter and clean it. I haven't tried to replace a transmitter on an attached sensor base so I can't say how easy it would be. I would imagine it would take a bit of pressure to get both clips to snap into place but that would be pressure at the opposite end of the sensor wire so, hopefully, it wouldn't cause discomfort. Just don't let the front pivot out away from the skin or the wire might come out. It might be a 2 person job.

11. Ken Gerhan

Ken Gerhan New Member

Dexcom Issues

I've had a Dexcom 7 since March, 2011. The system worked fairly good for the first three sensors, but hasn't been satisfactory since. The readings are sometimes more than 100% in error, many ???, very irratic readings (115 for one reading, five minutes later 225, five minutes later 170), and sensor error messages. We have had many conversations with Dexcom tech support - sometimes it takes two weeks for them to respond, if at all. Although a couple of the tech support folks have said it looks like a problem with the receiver or transmitter, none are willing to replace them. They are willing to replace sensors on occasion, but that doesn't solve the problem. The tech support folks have conflicting responses to similar problems. The training reps response is always to call tech support. It's just a big run around. It seems that tech supports main mission is to blow people off until the warranty is up, and then they can forget about the patient. When I purchased the Dexcom - no insurance to help with the purchase - I had the choice of either the Dexcom unit or the Minimed unit. Obviously I made the wrong decision.

12. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

Sorry that you too, Ken, are having these issues! A couple of weeks more and my warranty is up. I know Dexcom will have no trouble insisting that the whole unit must be replaced at that point. I have read it several other places that Dex, when out of warranty, will not send parts (i.e. a transmitter instead of both trans and receiver). It is all or none when you are out of warranty but really 'none' while you are in warranty.

I think the biggest hinderance to us getting proper replacement via dexcom is the ONE YEAR warranty! If dexcom had a four year warranty, for example, they would probably rather give us a new system when something is not right, instead of insisting every problem is related to sensors - it would certainly free up their customer service lines!

With this one year warranty, they know you will be up for a new system shortly and have absolutely no motivation to put you in a position with a working system too close to your warranty being up! Why,of course not!

13. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

All of this info will be very helpful! My son just started using dexcom a few days ago, I am taking notes!

14. peruvianpasohi

peruvianpasohi Approved members

I think you meant remove transmitter and clean posts?