- advertisement -

So Jacob is doing a 6 day Revel trial with the CGM

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jacob'sDad, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

...and it's going very well! The CGM is quite accurate and has been since it first was calibrated. This is even though it only got the first calibration BG and then no other calibrations for quite awhile because his BG went nuts, and we were told not to calibrate if BG wasn't very stable.

First he went low and stayed low for awhile and I think it was because he still had residual basal coming in from his Animas pump site even though it was removed. I think there must have still been a pool of insulin there. After the low was OVER treated and then guessing badly at the dinner carbs, he went sky high and then stayed high most of the night even with corrections.

Today has been better but there have still been highs and lows but it's no fault of the pump or CGM. It's just been a bad day of eating. He's already been to two Halloween parties and there is some candy involved.:rolleyes: Today he figured out how to do a temp basal and stopped a climbing BG in its tracks. Then dropped too far. Then ate pizza and forgot to ever bolus for it. Now he's got two arrows up and another temp basal going.

But he loves the pump and CGM! He says "Dad we have to buy this!"
    The insertion of the Sure T and the CGM site were not painful for him at all. The CGM site is on his butt. They used numbing cream.

Anyway, without going into detail, the pump is just pretty dang cool with many great features. Unless something changes I think we will be making the switch to Medtronic very soon.

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I hope this works for you! We have no allergy problems with this one for my younger compared with the Dex.

I will be interested to hear if you get pressure issues on the sensor at night.

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm happy to hear he's liking it!

I'd keep using numbing cream, if you can. I don't use it, but insertions can be quite painful without.

4. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

Glad it's working for you! Please keep updating, I am really wanting to get Will the CGM when we switch to the Revel in April. I'm having a hard time convincing him to have two sites though...can't say I blame him though.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Glad to hear it's going well!

Are the features you like mostly CGM features? I've always had the feeling that the pumps themselves are pretty similar, but I know that the MM CGM has more bells and whistles than Dex.

6. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

That's great!!! So nice when a kid recognizes the benefits of the CGM/pump combo. Good luck and I hope it works out.

7. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

that is what Isaac uses, I truly believe for us that it allows me to have the ability to crank up the basals when necessary and quickly be able to back them back down so that more time is spent in a healthy BG range rather than fighting those highs and lows so often. I'm glad it is working so well for you guys.

8. Jacob'sDad

Thanks for all the positive encouragement!

The sensor is now on day four and is still reading quite well. Last night the low alarm went off. It would be nice if I could HEAR it better. The CGM said 77. I did a finger poke. Finger poke said 145. Uh-oh. Cleaned another finger and did a recheck. Recheck was 76! So a couple of glucose tabs and he was pretty much flat-lined around 90 the rest of the night.

Actually, I think when I finally heard the alarm it was still showing a low PREDICTED, but by that point he was down to 77. I think that's right anyway. So he was dropping at the time which is why the glucose tabs only moved him about 15-20 points. If we had this thing all the time I probably would have done a temp basal as well.

9. selketine

selketine Approved members

That 's 99% of it right there - that they love it. I hope this continues to be a success. With the irritation issues you had with the Dex I'm sure this has to be much more comfortable.

So far the Dex hasn't caused the allergic reaction that the Nav caused for William - keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way.

10. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Perfect example of why so many endo's tell their patients that CGM's aren't accurate ;)

So Dave, I told Leah about this and she wants to do a demo of the Revel. I think she's beginning to think about how a tube pump might be easier to hide beneath clothing. Now we just have to see if insurance will cover it being that they just paid for a new Guardian two months ago...

11. mph

mph Approved members

Glad to hear that Jacob is pleased!:)

Are the Revel's predictor alarms as handy as they sound????????

We are considering an upgrade. The CGM combo is just too good to switch to another company :D.

Blessings!!!!!!

12. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

Glad to hear it is going well! Did you get any grief about having two sensors attached to him? Matt just got the MM 523 but we haven't cracked open the CGM yet. I figured one thing at a time. Of course, being a bit of a tech geek at heart, I am dying to give it a shot.

13. Jacob'sDad

Later today I will post a review of our six day trial. I will let you all know what the good things were and what problems we saw. I will make a list that compares Animas and Dexcom to the Revel in various categories. There may be problems that I found with the Revel that aren't really problems at all after those familiar with the Revel tell me how we could deal with those issues.

14. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

If you go with the revel and cgm, don't forget to order the gardian!!! Do not just order the cgm and then they ship you the paradigm kit. Ask for the gardian specifically. The gardian unit looks just like the revel without the tube and will receive the signal too so you can leave it on a night stand and actually hear it.

15. Jacob'sDad

OK, so here's my review.

Here are the positives with the Revel that I can think of right now. There are probably more good things that I am either unaware of, because we only had it six days, or just am not thinking of right now.

1) The CGM is integrated with the pump. This is a HUGE plus. I have waited YEARS for Animas to integrate with Dexcom and it still hasn't happened in the U.S.

2) The CGM was accurate right away after the first calibration.

3) The CGM site is smaller that the Dexcom and it stayed stuck with IV3000 over the top.

4) I like the way you fill the cartridge and I like that the cartridge holds 300u. Animas only holds 200u. I like the way the cartridge locks into the pump.

5) The CGM has predictive alarms that can predict lows or highs. It correctly predicted a low for Jacob more than once.

6) You can scroll back on the graph and see what BG was in the past.

7) You don't have to dial up the dose like you do with Animas. If you agree with the dose you just hit ACT and it delivers.

8) There are many cool features and software that I never really explored but I know that there is a ton of info that can help with making good adjustments which will help keep BG more steady and lower A1c.

9) The insertion of the CGM site was not painful for Jacob. We did use numbing cream.

OK now the not so good:

1) Jacob used the Sure T infusion set and he also uses Apidra. BG went way up on the third day of the site. This occurred twice; on day 3 and day 6 of the trial. Jacob gets three good days now with the Rapid D.

2) I can't hear the alarms. It's just not loud enough. He could be low at night and I wouldn't hear the alarm.

3) The pump screen is small and my eyesight isn't the greatest. Without turning on the background light I can't read it. I found myself doing an awful lot of scrolling because everything doesn't fit on the screen.

4) Insulin delivery is very slow compared to Animas. This is only bad because we usually lock the pump right after a bolus and with Animas the wait is very short. Jacob says that the delivery never hurts with the Revel but sometimes does with Animas. So the delivery rate is a plus and a minus.

5) It takes a few steps to lock the Revel. With Animas it takes one second to lock the pump.

6) The Revel uses a AAA alkaline battery. Animas uses a AA Lithium. The revel dropped down to one bar in the six days we had it. The battery may have been low to begin with, but it just seems like Animas is going to have more power and require less battery changing.

7) The CGM site failed on day 5. It started reading bad on day 5 with false lows. Then it got a calibration error and I never got it to start working again. We tried to restart it but it was a no-go.

8) The pump is not waterproof like Animas. That being said, we never submerge the Animas pump anyway.

So which do I prefer? Animas or the Revel? Well, since Jacob has the Dex allergy that puts one BG plus on the Medtronic side. He did not react to the Revel CGM site. I can't even tell where it was. Hopefully that would continue over time.

If it wasn't for the Dex allergy AND if I knew that Animas/Dexcom integration was coming VERY SOON, I would STILL prefer ANIMAS. Perhaps it is because we have been with Animas so long. I just really like the Animas pump.

Jacob says he likes them both the same. We need to make a choice VERY soon. I will give one or two more tries to use the Dexcom without his skin breaking out.

16. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

We love the Revel and the predictive alarms give me great peace of mind when she is out with friends and at school! as well at night. :)

Regarding, getting 5 days ... I noticed that you had some wide fluctuations early on with Halloween parties ... when we have a week with wide fluctuations, this can reduce the "life" of our sensor to 5 days as well. But I still love it for the 5 days. The alarms we don't hear at night either so we have "wired" to go through a "boom box" in our bedroom and it works great.

It was interesting to your list of pros and cons ... glad you posted it.

Lisa

17. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

The Revel will not accept a battery that was low to start with.