- advertisement -

So is Dexceom THE CGM to have?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sincity2003, Sep 27, 2013.

1. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

DS has started showing an interest and asking about CGMs and we're also interested, with him starting the pump, as well.
    So is Dexcom THE CGM to have? Are there others out there that work as well?
    We have an appointment next Thursday with our CDE for pump training, so I was going to bring it up then, but Dexcom is the only one I currently have heard of.
    Thanks in advance!

2. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

I hope so because I just started the process today. Our daughter is actually newly diagnosed and only on NPH, but we are trying to get a better handle on her trends to see if there is anything we can do to help her control until we start a different regimen.

I e-mailed the Dexcom rep. Within an hour he sent me the assignment of benefits form and e-mailed the medical necessity form to my doctor. In about an hour and a half the diabetes supply company called to tell me that we were 100% covered, they expected to get approval from BCBS within a couple of days and to ask me what color my daughter wanted. I guess she didn't anticipated any problems with the plan we have????

I was just going by the fact that everyone on here seems to have one.

3. sincity2003

I'm not sure what BCBS you have, but word of advice, stay on them for the approval. We were waiting for our pump approval and when I finally got through to Anthem BCBS they told us that Care Centrix coded the pump itself wrong and that was the hold up. I called CC and within 20 minutes, the pump was approved and Insulet called me to tell me that.
    I'm assuming we have to go through the same process with a Dex.

Hopefully your daughter likes it! Also we did NPH and R for the first 6.5 months, and while he was in his honeymoon, it worked great. Once his honeymoon ended, it wasn't so great, but I'm grateful our endo put us on NPH and R because it took a lot of the thinking out of the early days!

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We love the G4 - it's really great. Though you might not want to close the door on the minimed integrated pump/cgm given the news today that the new and supposedly improved sensor and Veo pump has just been approved by the FDA.

Right now we like having the cgm receiver as a stand alone but I would look hard at both if you are going for both a pump AND a cgm in the near future.

5. coeen

coeen Approved members

We have the Metronic pump and cgm. We love both. Never used the Dex so can't compare. We numb the back of his arm every Sunday and put in a new sensor. He never even flinches. Rarely do we have any failures. Reads pretty good for the most part. Nothing is perfect.
    Good Luck.

6. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

We used the MM for 6 years and the Dex G4 for the past 6 months. They're both good but overall I'd recommend the Dex because the needle is much smaller, it's accurate, slightly easier to use, and the sensor lasts up to 2 weeks if you re-tape the adhesive a few times. They're both great though. Just yesterday Minimed announced the Enlite (smaller needle) sensor and a new pump/CGM that cuts off insulin at low BG. I would definitely look into that as well.

7. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Since they are getting an Omnipod pump, yes, absolutely Dex.

8. sincity2003

Thanks everyone! (We were away all weekend, so sorry for the delayed response). We are doing the OmniPod and our insurance paid for it already, so another pump is out for 4 years at this point.
    I will definitely talk to the CDE this Thursday about Dex.

9. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

We have the BCBS federal employees plan and (knock on wood), we have never had any issues getting anything approved in a timely manner. My older daughter is disabled so we have had numerous durable medical equipment purchases over the years. We just got a new wheelchair after only three years and it took less than three months with no denial and no appeal, which is unheard of.

I wish I felt like NPH was working great, but we are all over the place with her numbers constantly. Last night a bedtime 437, this morning 78. I'm sure it may have had something to do with her meal, but it was a meal that she has had numerous times since diagnosis and she didn't spike like that. Situations like this are one of the reasons we want to do CGM now so we can better figure out what affect the different foods have on her. I do appreciate the ease of the NPH, but my husband is going to go over the edge if we can't get a better handle on things....it's only been 10 weeks so I know we need to calm down and take a breath, but he's like that. DD crying because it was so high is not helping.

10. Mish

Mish Approved members

Oh you'll really love it.

I think CGM, in general, is a game changer. Especially with the newest technology. You can't go wrong with the Dex g4. We never had much luck with MM but who knows what the newer MM sensor will bring. But if you're already going to do omnipod, then Dexcom is really the one you'll want.

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I actually think that Dexcom is your ONLY choice, since you're going with Omnipod. To my knowledge, MM is no longer selling a stand-alone system.