- advertisement -

So freakin' mad...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Charmed7, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

Ok, I know I don't post here often, but I lurk here and there and I really needed to get this out to people who understand.

My son was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder a year and half ago, and has been taking medications to keep him stable. About a month ago, he started to become unstable, and because medications can take 2-3 weeks to start working, and his pdoc decided to change his meds, we had to put him in a pediatric unit hospital to monitor him.

Can you guess why I'm mad? I gave them the crash course in diabetes care. Told him his carb ration is 1:15. Told them they need to check sugars during the night. And told them to call me with any questions, even if it's to count carbs or whatever. I GOT NOTHING - it all went out the window. These are the comments I have gotten from the staff after they showed me a log of high sugars with no times, not insulin amounts, and no carb counts:

me: How many carbs did he eat for dinner?
    Cute staff girl behind the desk: "We're not counting carbs"
    me: Then what are you doing?
    csgbtd: "He's on a 1800 calorie diet."
    me: And how are you deciding his insulin needs? (trying to remain calm and failing miserably)
    csgbtd: "He gets 4 units at every meal."
    me: And what did he eat for dinner today
    DS: Chicken, soy milk, and a green bean but I didn't like it. It was too soggy.
    me: So he ate about 20 carbs and you gave him 4 units????
    csgbtd: "We'll be checking his sugars in case he goes low."

IN CASE!! IN CASE??? Oh WTH! So I told her I had a sugar log in the car that I wanted her to use. It gave when to check sugars, and spots for carbs and units. To which she responds, "We have doctors orders, and I'm not sure we can check him more often than what the doctor said to do." I told her, well MY doctor requires me to check his sugars at certain times so she can make any necessary dosing changes, and the information you have there doesn't help. So you will be using this log, even if I have to have MY doctor call YOUR doctor to make him. She just shrugged. So on my way out that evening, I grabbed the log and gave it to another staff member and told him, "It will be a higher risk if you don't use this." He smiled and said he understood and would put it in his chart. I was so close to saying it would be a higher liability for the hospital if they didn't.

I don't need this ****. I'm stressed enough as it is with my son hospitalized for Christmas. I didn't even ask if they had glucagon on hand. I'm so freakin mad and exhausted. I just want to scream. :mad::mad:

Ok - I have to get some work. Thanks for listening.

Charmed

2. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

You need to have you son's endo call whichever doctor is writing orders while your son is in the hospital and explain to him how your son is managed. The staff people there cannot do something because you told them it's done that way if they have orders dictating how his insulin is done. Nothing will change unless you're getting on his endo to initiate this communication.

3. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

That's....hell, I can't even articulate it. Scary and frustrating probably don't cover it. Is it possible to have his doctor write out the orders? I'd like to say "I can't believe this," but sadly, I can.

4. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I understand your pain.

no matter how much you educate them, they probably won't get it. all they know is the old way. the 1800 cal diet

I work in the hosp and we have to call down for meals for patients. there's this one woman Janice she just doesn't get the carb thing. she thinks that a slice of bread is 1 carb. they were taught the exchange method. and she will not deviate.

I hope your son is able to get out soon

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

It's nice to see you back Charmed! Sorry it is so frustrating of a time! I would have your endo call them - any chance it is the same hospital?

6. Charmed7

They kept saying that too - like he's getting 4 carbs a meal, I'm like no he's not, he's getting 60. Call it "choices" if you want, but don't call it carbs.

No such luck...and thanks!

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I can only begin to imagine how scary, frustrating and just horrid it must feel to leave your child in the care of such callous people. :( Can you get through to the Dr who is writing the orders??? Can your endo?

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

Is there anyway you and hubby can swap turns watching over him?

9. Charmed7

Not at the hospital. It's inpatient, and there's only a few visiting hours. But we can't stay over night.

10. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

That is scary and frustrating on top of the stress you are already dealing with. :( Sorry you are having to deal with this. Thinking good thoughts for you and hoping you can find someone at the hospital with a clue. :cwds:

11. rare

rare Approved members

Ugh, they're incompetent. I wouldn't even trust them with psychiatric care let alone anything else. Unfortunately if they have doctors orders they're going to keep giving him "4 carbs" or 4 units or whatever. Call the endo today and demand to speak to someone. They need to get in touch and get the orders changed immediately.

12. samheis

samheis Approved members

:(:(:(
    That's just an awful situation. Hang in there.

13. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Sorry you are going through this. I would push back on this. Your son is only 10. And you clearly have amunition to make your case, they clearly are not caring for his diabetic needs. It is a dangerous situation. Don't accept their standard line about visiting hours. If it was my child I would be advocating very forcefully and loudly.

14. momma_fish2007

momma_fish2007 Approved members

That sounds sooo unrealistically STUPID!! Not counting carbs? What sense does that even make? I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. Like you said, it's hard enough to go through hospitalization for your baby, at Christmas and to think he's not getting the care taken of him that needs to be given.

15. Kayeecee

Kayeecee Approved members

Some advice from the legal world: put it in writing. Quickly. Make sure the highest level of management gets it. You need to identify your concerns, you need to tell them what has happened, when, etc. Suggest that there is a meeting with their supervisory board. Once they know that you are keeping notes (i.e., making an evidentiary record), things will likely change for you. You'll definitely get noticed. Hate to be heavy-handed, but with your child's care you just can't be nice.

16. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Ok - I have not had first hand experience with bi-polar disorder but I just can't understand how it is in your 10 year olds best interest to be hospitalized in an environment that is so obviously unable to meet even his most basic physical medical needs. :confused: Is this really the only way to transition him to new meds???

17. Lee

Lee Approved members

You ARE allowed to stay overnight with a minor - they cannot make you go home...I would push on this.

18. danismom79

Well that part makes sense, since 1 "carb choice" is approx. 15g of carb, but they should be adjusting it based on what he actually eats. It's insane that they're not even recording times and doses. I think his endo should be involved in coordinating his care. Can you get your hands on their policies and procedures?

19. Toni

Toni Banned

Yes, the endo can write the doctors orders and the nursing staff will have to follow them then. Hard, because you probably are not allowed to stay in the room overnight and may not be able to be there during the day too much either.

20. danismom79

Probably not, if he's in the psych unit.