- advertisement -

So disappointed in pump insert set, advice?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by missmakaliasmomma, Jun 23, 2013.

1. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

We went to the pool today for the first time this summer. Since it was last minute, I didn't order the opsite flexifix yet since I was going to do that for the summer. Anyway, we used the contact detach set this morning and all was fine. Literally about 5 minutes into the water, the "detach" part came off (not the actual needle site but the other one when the tubes join, which- ok fine was not a big deal) But about 2 hours later, the actual set started to lift also. She wasn't in the water the whole time- we had lunch too. We had waterproof medical tape over it. (which sucks but I thought it would be better than nothing) I had to change it at the pool and although I don't mind, it could get pretty annoying if it happens alot.

Has this happened to anyone else? I thought this things were supposed to be a little more water resistant.

Any advice until we get the flexifix?

2. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

When I tried contact detaches the adhesive literally came off in my sleep and the needle cut up my leg and I woke up to bloody sheets. I don't like that adhesive too much. I use silhouettes now and they stick much better. Have you tried other sets? Or are you opening to other sets? The problem you'll have with the flexifit is getting it off without damaging the set as well. In the meantime, you may try adding a safety loop of extra tubing taped near the "detach" part to anchor it a bit better.

3. missmakaliasmomma

We normally use the inset 30s. The contact detach is something we have but don't use very often ( I got them mostly for when she starts school and to use on certain areas) I, for some reason, thought those would be better on her today. I haven't tried the inset 30s in the pool yet though, so i can't even say if those are any better. They're fine in the bath but that's quick. Are the silhouettes like the comfort? For some reason, I'm thinking they are. If that's the case, we won't use those anymore. That's what we used at first and my daughter would literally freak out every single time- kick, scream- you name it.

4. heypb

heypb Approved members

We had issues with the adhesive of the contact-detach last year during a beach vacation. The connector site stayed put, but the needle site came loose every day. We wound up reinforcing a tegaderm bandage over the site with waterproof band-aids. That worked very well for us for the rest of the trip.

This year we have been using skin tac liquid adhesive during site changes along with tegaderm bandages. We have had a couple of pool days so far with no site issues.

5. missmakaliasmomma

We used tegaderm a couple of times, not even for water and they just would not stay. Haven't tried the waterproof bandages though, we could give those a shot. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with issues

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We had to tape the heck out of the contact-detach sets in order to keep them on. The angled sets stay on better, in my opinion, but we need extra tape regardless. Opsite works the best for us.

7. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

The first time we used a sure-T site (I think that's the same thing) it came off the first day even without water. :confused: I was worried they wouldn't work well, but the next time it stayed on much better. Sometimes we need to cover the site with tape (we are trying out Hypafix for now) but sometimes it stays on just fine without anything. Sometimes we use skin tac before insertion, sometimes IV prep. The one thing besides that, it seems is how clean the skin is. Sometimes we do an extra alcohol wipe of the skin just to clean it better before the IV prep or skin tac.

Hope this helps!

8. mocha

mocha Approved members

I've noticed, no matter what type of set I use (inset, detach, etc) it will always fall off if I get it wet within 6 hours of insertion.

I now always put some hypafix over both parts of the detach sets (the needle part and the clip in part), on top of not getting it wet for many hours.

The tapes they use now are just not what they used to be.

9. funnygrl

Yep, silhouettes are like the comforts. They come in short and regular lengths. Even though I'm a heavy adult, I find the short version plenty sufficient, so I can't imagine who would need the regular length and imagine they would be very intimidating for a child. The Comfort 30's are very similar to the silhouettes but with a built in inserter. I would try these for the pool. Also, are you using IV Prep, as other people have asked?

10. missmakaliasmomma

I did change it only an hour or 2 before her going in. However, I thought this would make it MORE adhesive then less. Guess not lol. I'm gonna have to remember to order the tape. At least it will prolong the site coming off. Hopefully

11. missmakaliasmomma

Yes, we always use the IV prep. The comfort 30's still require a manual insertion right? Definitely can't do that anymore now that she's used to the easy ones. I would think they'd work very similar to the inset 30s though. Flexible cannula, angled.. Am I correct?

12. funnygrl

Yeah, very similar to the Inset 30's. the Medtronic silhouettes have an inserter, but I don't think it's compatible with the generic comforts. I find the inserter more trouble than it's worth.

13. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

My DD has absolutely no problem keeping Insets on in the water UNLESS she swims within an hour or two of a new insertion. Then it will fall right off. She tries not to even bath right after inserting.

14. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yes, this will make a difference. We try not to get a new site wet for at least 6 hours.

15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We also avoid putting in a new infusion set or sensor within the first few hours of showering or swimming. Skin that looks and feels dry isn't always so.

16. coeen

coeen Approved members

4 days at the beach, about 4-5 hours playing at the beach and in the ocean. We used hypafix over his site and not one problem. We use sure-t sets, I put one piece over the site and one skinny piece to anchor some of the tubing. He was always in the water when we were there. He was boogy boarding and rolling around in the ocean. I also had it over his sensor which is on his arm, then I wrapped that with vet wrap (thanks to advice from this site for that one) and it worked fine.