- advertisement -

So are you a cat person or a dog person?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Beach bum, Feb 7, 2012.

?

Cat or dog?

Poll closed Feb 12, 2012.
  1. Cat

24 vote(s)
    38.7%
  2. Dog

40 vote(s)
    64.5%
  3. Other

4 vote(s)
    6.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

The other thread about dog adoption got me thinking about what kind of pet people we are.

I'm definitely a cat person, though would like at some point to get a dog.
    Currently, we have a 10 year old Maine Coon/tiger that we got from our local shelter. Her only quirk is that she won't drink out of a bowl, but out of the sink:D

2. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Well I'm allergic but I'm definitely not a cat person. It's odd how kittens are totally cute but cats way aren't. It's like they are practically different animals.

3. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

dd has something to say:
    dogs are good,cats are okay:p

4. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Totally dog; kittens don't make me sneeze but grown cats make me wheeze, sneeze, and cry; also have bettas.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm allergic to both but I'm a dog person through and through. I like looking at cats, but I don't really get them. And kittens? Really, who can resist a kitten?:p

6. valerie-k

valerie-k Approved members

I adore all animals. However, I would take a cat hands down before a dog. You own dog, a cat, owns YOU. ;) A dog wants to please you, a cat expects you to please it.

I have had cats of all temperments. My current favorite, is such a *B* its not even funny. I love her attitude. Kitty kitty kitty... snarl hiss scratch scratch scratch. Currently, I have 5. each, different in thier own way. There is something that just warms my heart about being owned by my tiny fur companions. Thier tiny paws just melt my heart. :D

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

My cat is beautiful. And CUTE. :p

I'm a 'both' person. I find dogs more challenging and interesting, my dogs enjoy my attention more and give more back. The cats are lovely and beautiful, but tend to either be outside killing small animals or lying around being cute. Right now I'd choose a cat, because I know I couldn't look after a dog, but if I could look after a dog then I would choose a dog. (For the record, the animals talked about above all live at home with my family. No animals in university halls. :()

My cat actually behaves like a dog, though. He sleeps in a bed with our dog, he tries to follow the dogs on walks (although he sometimes struggles to keep up over long distances) and tries to play with other dogs (who aren't always happy about it). I think it's because we rescued him when he was only 6 weeks old, and our dog really looked after him, however weird that sounds. :p

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  8. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I only had a dog, which was a high strung puppy for a short while. Other than that, I've never had a dog. I trained the puppy and even took her to obedience classes but ultimately it was just too much work for me at this time in my life. Everybody in the family just wasn't really on board with caring for a puppy. Maybe sometime in the future I will get a dog again.

I have always been a cat person. Cats and I tend to get along well. My cat Grady is very cool. He loves to ride in the car and will run and jump in like a dog. I have to be careful because he has snuck into the car when I was working on it and I didn't find him until the next day. He very distinctively says "out" when he wants out. He also crawls under the blankets in bed and sticks just his head out like a person.

The cat across the street moved out of his house and into ours. His owner has dogs and Rusty doesn't like the dogs. So he just hung out at our house more and more and eventually just never left.

9. manda81

manda81 Approved members

I would say I'm just an animal person, in general, but I voted cat (since I had to pick.)

I grew up on a farm, so we always had a lot of pets, cats are definitely my favorite, but we love our dog!

10. Mish

Mish Approved members

take that, swap it around. :D

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

lol :p

ok...

I'm allergic to both but I'm a cat person through and through. I like looking at dogs, but I don't really get them. And puppies? Really, who can resist a puppy?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  12. Lee

Lee Approved members

I think Mish is converting!

Dog person all the way. Why? Cats make my eyes and throat itch and I have to clean poo.

13. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Cats here.. we have a large maine coon, that is prissy and proper and snooty.. she looks at you like she owns US. she still loves to play, but if she catch her playing she stops and walks away like she couldn't be bothered to play with a toy, lol. We have a little tiger that is completely sweet. And a big dumb orange cat named Pumpkin.. He's about 17lbs, not fat, just a really large cat. Very odd personality and not much upstairs, lol.

14. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

LOL, I hope the dog poo is taken care of as well:p

On a different note, I voted other because I am equally a cat and dog person. My dogs are high energy, fun animals that make sure we all get our exercise.My cats wait for us to calm down so they can snuggle with a warm body.

15. emilyandkevsmom

emilyandkevsmom Approved members

Cats! I would be a crazy cat lady but I am only allowed to have 1 in my apartment (we had to fight to be allowed to have him so he is spoiled rotten) I like dogs also but I think I love cats so much because I wasn't allowed to have one as a child.

16. purplewowies

purplewowies Approved members

I voted cat, if only because I trained my aunt's cat to do acrobatics with a hamper (that was awhile ago, so I wonder if he can still do it). Her dogs scare/annoy me.

I would've voted other (for fish), but I've never had a fish of my own and my mom's fish always commit suicide: the most memorable story is that she fed them, put the lid back on, and when she got home from work, they were all on the floor dead.

17. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

I like anything that's furry and cute...except spiders.

18. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I'm allergic to both and love my cats and dog. It's worth getting the allergy shots and taking antihistamines. One of my cats is the biggest mush - if anyone is feeling blue, he's right there with his "arm" around them, purring in their face and not taking no for an answer. He's there for giving and getting " lovin' ". Can't even imagine a nicer cat although I'm sure they are out there too. My dog is more aloof than that cat which I think is strange, but she is adored and treasured and kissed more than she wants to be haha. My other cat is just happy to be fed - that's all he asks for. And he likes to drink from the pool or the toilet. He's gorgeous with blue eyes, partially visually impaired, and sweet. All our animals are rescued.

19. Lee

Lee Approved members

Well - the rain takes care of the poo outside! And for some odd reason, my poodles do 90% of their pooing in the woods out back :D - best thing about those poodles ever!

I mean - look at this shaggy beast:
    View attachment 2658

20. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

She's adorable, Becky. Looks very happy, Even though its a picture, I can see that tail wagging.