- advertisement -

Snacks less than 5 carbs?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dshull, Sep 24, 2012.

1. dshull

dshull Approved members

Hello,

My 7 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 just six weeks ago. It is still an emotional roller coaster and overall nightmare. I am trying to find suggestions for snacks for school - he is in second grade and has a snack in the morning and again in the afternoon in his after school program. He tells me he never wants to eat a cheese stick again.

Any suggestions? We have sent diabetic yogurt, sugar free jello (tasty but not filling), pepperoni, hard boiled eggs, and lunch meat. It is hard because he needs two snacks a day and he is bored with my repertoire. Especially because he gets to see all the snacks that the other kids have that he wishes he could have, too.

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks.

2. MelissaAL

MelissaAL Approved members

Have you tried the Carb Master yogurt at Kroger? They have 15+ flavors. DD has 2 that she likes, but that may be a way to get a little more variety. Another thing we've recently found is packs of cocoa roasted almonds from Emerald (I think) They are 4 carbs for a pack.

Does he have any planned snacks in his insulin regimen? DD is on Lantus in the morning and Novolog with meals, but she has an uncovered 15 g snack in the afternoon and also before bed. Thankfully, her school doesn't do morning snacks so we don't have to deal with that issue.

We are 6 months from diagnosis and one thing diabetes has really brought to my attention is how unhealthy most people eat( myself included) . All the fun snacks he may be seeing really aren't good for his classmates either.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

5g is really hard. The best I can do is a bag of smartfoods popcorn at 9g. Was the 5g free snack limit advised by your endo?

4. dshull

dshull Approved members

Yes, the endo was very clear that any free snacks must be less than 5 carbs. I have sometimes cheated and gone to 6 but I am really trying to do right by him.

We do not have Kroger near us - is it a Kroger brand yogurt??

5. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

5gram carbs is hard - we have a 15 carb limit for an afternoon snack at school. only the kindergarten class has snacks in the afternoon.

I have found that the little hugs barrel juices are only 2 grams of carbs per barrel....but that is juice not food

meat and cheese?
    what about sugar free jello mixed with whipped cream/cool whip
    different kinds of string cheese?
    veggies or carrots and dip?

most of the snack pack things we have found for Jarret, age 6, are all 13-17 carbs

good luck on your search

6. MelissaAL

Yes it is Kroger brand. I know Kroger has quite a few affilated stores. Not sure what area you are in.

One of the other posts made me remember- we used to mix a container of cool whip with a few tablespoons of peanut butter. Then portion it out into cups and freeze (or could eat at fridge temp) Depending on how big a portion is, that can be pretty low carb.

Would he do frozen or fresh veggies?

7. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I know this is all still very new for you, but have you discussed covering snacks with insulin? Five grams is really hard to stick to without getting bored or envious of others' snacks. I used to give my daughter string cheese, turkey pepperoni, sugar-free jello (can't remember the carbs), grape tomatoes.

8. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

My daughter loves slim jims and also a couple of TBS of Natural Peanut butter or cream cheese with celery would be good. Does he like berries. They are fairly low carb. He could have a few of those with cheese.

9. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

The usual suspects have been mentioned. My DD loves cucumbers, so that is our "go to" snack:

• Mini seedless cucumber or a few cucumber slices or spears(about 2-3 g.)
    • Cheese (sticks, string cheese, Baby Bel, etc.) (about 0-1 g.)
    • Carrot sticks/baby carrots (about the same carbs as a cucumber) (about 1-3 g.)
    • Nuts ? Emerald Cocoa almonds or other nuts (about 4-8 g.)
    • Dannon Lite ?n Fit Lo Carb Yogurt (3 g.)
    • Pickles (about 1-2 g.)
    • Deli meats (ham, turkey, salami), can be rolled around a cheese stick or pickle or wrapped in lettuce
    • Olives
    • Celery stick with peanut butter or cream cheese

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I second the suggestion of talking to your endo about how to cover snacks with insulin. Your son is not going to want to stick to 5g snacks for the rest of his life, and there's no time like the present to figure out how to dose him for those bigger snacks! :)

I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I know it's very hard at first, but life does get easier. :cwds::eek:

11. dshull

dshull Approved members

Thanks so much for the suggestions - I specially like the peanut butter mixed with cool whip. We could cover a snack with insulin, but it is complicated. His after school program cannot give insulin, so he needs to stick to 5 grams or less for snack. They help him check his sugar but can't give an injection.

Also he is still in the honeymoon phase, so his ratio is 1:35. Morning snack at school is quick and followed by recess. If he ate a bigger snack, it would have to be pretty big to get to 35 carbs, then he might not be hungry at lunch. Also I am trying so so hard to have him be just like all of the other kids. So if I sent in a bigger snack, it would mean ANOTHER trip to the nurse's office, an injection, and then waiting 15 minutes to eat the snack. Meanwhile the other kids are out on the playground running around and having fun.

I just have to accept that there aren't great snack options for less than 5 carbs. Just like I also have to accept that I may never sleep through the night again because I am up checking sugars.

12. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

beef jerky and pistacios are two of matts favs

sugar free popsicle if there is a freezer nearby

look at the carbs on the quaker rice cakes, they come in tiny rounds and in great choices like cheddar and carmel

13. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

We had to do this last year, too...not because the endo said to, but because that was the amount of morning snack that kept DD in a great range. If you do the math, you can figure out how much of anything is 5g carbs. Of course, some things are depressing when reduced down to 5g carbs...who really wants to only eat 1/2 of a double stuf Oreo? But it can help to relieve the boredom of only free or low-carb foods. You still get to have your favorites...just maybe (probably!) less than you would have had otherwise. Some of DD's favorites:

2 Nilla wafers
    13 goldfish crackers
    22 Target Brand cheese puff balls (cheeto-type)
    2-1/2 Ritz crackers

She also likes pretzel sticks, but we don't have any on hand, so I can't give you the info. Just do the math (divide total carbohydrate by number of pieces in a serving) to figure out how many carbs in 1 pretzel stick, then divide 5 by that number, and that will tell you how many he can have for 5 carbs. :cwds:

Math is not my strong suit, so I always have someone check my work the first time, and then I put a piece of masking tape on the box that tells however many pieces equals the number of carbs I am shooting for. When I get a new box, I transfer the tape to the new one. This saves me from having to do the math or remember how many she gets, each time.

Sometimes she had a bigger snack and then we just dosed for it. Your endo should be able to help you with this.

Good luck!

14. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

My 11 year old son is now into Beef Jerky. 1 cup Popcorn also.
    Hopefully your 5 gram snacks is short lived while his insulin and carb counts are worked out.
    It does get better....sorry for the diagnosis:(

15. MelissaAL

Dd's highest ratio has been 1:20 so this is not expert advice by any means, but with a ratio of 1;35, could he have say 7-10 carbs? Not sure if that would keep his blood sugar in line, but that would maybe give you a little more flexibility.

Ugh, sleeping through the night. It took us along time before we could stop mandatory checks. (They kept changing her lantus dose so we had to keep up the 12 am and 3 am checks) Now, even though the Dr doesn't necessarily want checks, we are still doing a 10pm and 2 am check most nights. I hate to say, but you just sort of get used to it. It is crazy what this disease does to your idea of "normal."

16. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

When my daughter was in elementary school, she did have to go to the nurse for everything, and it was kind of a pain. However, she was never made to wait 15 minutes to eat after dosing. Even now, it's just not practical given the short amount of time kids have to eat. How do you handle lunch?

Do you like to bake? I don't use sugar substitutes, but there's a nutrition section in the forums and you might find some low-carb snack ideas that you can make and send in. I don't know if you're at the point where you feel comfortable calculating carbs in homemade treats (it took me a while), but it's an alternative.

Hang in there, it gets better. :)

17. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Our 4th grade son was diagnosed in July, is honeymooning, and his carb ratio is 1:35. He eats lunch at 11am and snack at 2pm. His daily snack ranges from 30-70g. He goes to the nurse for an injection for snack but there is no waiting. BG is checked and the nurse calls either my wife or I to sign off on all injections and back to class he goes with no waiting. He takes a classmate with him for the trips to the nurses office.

Looking forward to the day when this feels normal. His D is the first thing I think of when I wake up and go to sleep (and of course at 2AM). And I get a little sad every time I see him. Less sad today then I was 4 weeks ago, but sad nonetheless. He still sings in the shower and that makes me happy.

18. tonnia

tonnia Approved members

This past weekend my T1dd was sitting her my 11 mo grandson as he ate his Gerber snacks. My DIL told her to try one, it looked like a white cheeto and tasted like maple syrup...Gerber snacks are low carb sweet or savory treats. those were something like 8 carbs for 20 cheeto looking pieces. There are other small cereal looking ones that are 5 carbs for about 70 pieces. I may have gotten those backwards. Look in the baby food aisle. Not something you would want him to see that they were "baby food" but it could break up the boredom of what he has right now.

19. dshull

dshull Approved members

David - oh the sadness. I,too, get so sad when I glimpse at my son and he doesn't know it. I can't look at pictures taken in the weeks leading up to his diagnosis because I feel like there was a demon inside him eating him alive and I, as his mother, had no idea. I just really wonder when the sadness will go away. I try to keep telling myself that it could be so so much worse. We live in a time where there is science and medicine that can help him. But I really can't shake the sadness.

20. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

He wouldn't have to eat a 35 carb snack for you to dose him. 17 carbs would be a half unit, and 9 carbs would be a quarter unit. My son was 3 when he was diagnosed, so I am well acquainted with drawing up tiny doses! Maybe if he had a bigger snack in the morning, he wouldn't mind the smaller snack in after care. I wouldn't worry about making him wait 15 minutes to eat the snack (or lunch, for that matter). Yeah, it's probably optimal to give the insulin a decent head start, but I don't know anyone who makes their kid wait to eat at school.