- advertisement -

snacks for teens

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by joan, Dec 13, 2010.

1. joan

joan Approved members

I am so over the food situation. I never have anything to eat in my house. We have good well balanced meals but I never have any snacks. I find that if I get some snack food it disappears in 5 minutes. What type of quick snacks do your teens eat? My son is playing hockey and usually very hungry so I will give him sandwiches or frozen pizzas for snack but what else??

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My teen eats chips and salsa (lots of these), popcorn, ice cream, chex mix, gardettos, and pumpkin bread. Snacks are what makes or break the weight gain. When I drop these, my teen loses weight. When he eats lots of snacks, he maintains or even gains a little.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Smoothies, fruit, cheese, crackers, soup, yogurt, chips and salsa ... I guess it depends on the season and if she's doing sports after. Pretty normal snack stuff, I think.

4. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Kayla eats a lot of cheese and turkey bolonga (gross, I know). Also a lot of cheese balls and popcorn.

5. joan

joan Approved members

Thanks for the responses. I think I am just fried thinking about food and keeping him fed. Now that its hockey season his practices are all hours. Tonight he will be home at 11pm after practice and starving. I usually make him pancakes or eggs and toast. I have no other ideas. I think I am just bored with food and I guess somewhat still a bit over concerned when it comes feeding him.

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

You could introduce some relatively healthy and tasty low carb options:
    - raw veggies like celery (goes great with Cheese Whiz) and carrots;
    - fresh fruit like apples, pears, oranges, grapefruit;
    - yoghurt and frozen yoghurt;
    - cheese strings and pepperettes;
    - pickles and pickled onions and pickled eggs;
    - nuts of all varieties, salted and plain.

7. joan

joan Approved members

Thanks Wilf. He eats all those things but when it comes to eating after a 11/2 hour of hockey practice he really needs the carbs. Some days he also has off- ice with 11/2 hour of cardio and lifting so he needs hugh snacks or meals otherwise he will lose weight and probably need no insulin. Its just been the same things for a long time and we are both bored with the choices.

8. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

After sports my son prefers protein bars, that sort of thing, something with carbs but also with a strong protein base to it. He also typically would make a protein shake, he likes protein powder, milk with extra protein in it (local grocery store brand), then adds in either fruit or a hot chocolate packet and tosses in the blender with ice.

edited to add that I'm clearly a mean mom! I saw your most recent reply about him getting home at 11....I make my son get his own post sports snack/meal when he gets home after a meal!! That's how the shakes started, he can do those quickly and easily and they really fill him up. So I'd work on something he can do on his own quickly and easily like that.

9. joan

joan Approved members

edited to add that I'm clearly a mean mom! I saw your most recent reply about him getting home at 11....I make my son get his own post sports snack/meal when he gets home after a meal!! That's how the shakes started, he can do those quickly and easily and they really fill him up. So I'd work on something he can do on his own quickly and easily like that.[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it. the last thing I want to do at 11pm is cook another meal. The thing here is that once he gets home he has about 2 hours of homework so I want him to get started as soon as he gets in. He has had d for so long he has in the past had microalbumin in his urine. Always clear on first am samples but endo put him on ace inhibitors a few years back and said stay away from the high protein supplements. My older son lived on those protein shakes. That is why we are having a tough time. Those would be perfect.

10. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

My favorite snack is yogurt and granola, it fills me up and is very yummy also you can get many different types to mix things up=) actually I started this in the hospital at diagnosis, I was so hungry everything they gave me tasted good lol

11. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

I was going to suggest yogurt and granola too. Toss in some dried fruit if he likes it.
    Also, what about oatmeal? Good and filling, and easy to make.