- advertisement -

Snack / high BG...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by TheTestingMom, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Traci

Traci Approved members

No, no, no. Time for a talk. If you are able to go talk with them today, I'd pop in for a chat about how you want your son to be as "normal" as possible with this disease and unless he's over X amount, he's ok to eat the snack you provided with a correction. Unfortunately, a 246 is part of type 1. You want him to know how to treat it and move on with his day and not develop food guilt that turns into an eating disorder. I'd also tell them to NEVER make him feel bad over a number!

For us, I always say that it's like brushing your teeth...not really fun, but just part of what we must do everyday. It's routine. There is no good or bad. There is no punishment (which as a kid, he'd probably felt punished for not getting a snack), there is no fussing, there is no guilt...especially from people who will not be therre in five or ten years to deal with the fallout of their actions!

2. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

I don't know the answer, lol We haven't started doing carb snacks yet unless they are 'free' before exercise. But I wanted to let you know I noticed when my DD is above 180, even if she just finished eating, she will say she is starving. If we find she recently ate and the number is high we don't do snacks (meaning carb-free since we haven't started the others yet). I just tell her she just ate and she is hungry because her sugar is off. She usually grabs her water at this point and seems to feel better just drinking. If the number comes down on its own she forgets about being hungry. If it stays higher she nags every half hour or so and repeats the process, lol

3. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

I'd let Connor eat the snack and cover the carbs with insulin and a correction. If lunch was soon after snack time, I'd check have him check his blood sugar again (just to make sure he's not low), and then just cover the carbs consumed without a correction. I think it's very important that Connor is included in all class activities, and I'd figure out a way to make it work. Even if that means less-than-ideal numbers that day.

4. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

As long as it's covered, I'd say yes. You can also correct if no correction has been given in the last 3+ hours?

5. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I try not to withhold snacks unless she's in the mid-300s - but most times that she's hungry and I give the snack and the insulin regardless

I'm a firm believer in not being run by the #s. We aren't big snackers in this family so telling them not to have a snack is no big deal, but there are times they need snacks because of our schedule the rest of the day, so a snack and a dose comes no different than if it were a meal (I wouldn't withhold a meal because she was high, so why would I specifically withhold a snack)

6. Susanne

Susanne Approved members

Yes, we give the snack. My daughter has snack every morning in school at 10 (2 1/2 hours after breakfast). Some days she is lowish by then, others she is in the mid 200s. But she would be pretty upset if she were excluded from snack time (and she is not going for the carb free options...). They bolus and correct when needed. If the weather is not bad the class will go outside right after. That helps a lot and by noon, she is in perfect range for lunch.

7. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Yes with insulin & a correction.

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'd eat a snack at 246, with a 30 minute prebolus for the correction and the snack insulin (I'd do similarly if I was eating a meal at 246). I'd also choose a lower carb snack if possible.

9. Corinne Masur

Corinne Masur Approved members

Yes. Correct. Bolus for the snack. Enjoy.

That's the beauty of the pump.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

At home? Probably not. I'd do one of the following: (1) Suggest a low/free snack; (2) Distract him with a shiny object; (3) Do a hefty correction and prebolus the heck out of the snack (at least 30 minutes).

At school? Yeah, I'd probably just let him have it, and grumble about school snack times. At my son's school, they did away with snack about two months into kindergarten, and that was a happy, happy day for me. The problem with letting him just eat the snack is that for us, Jack becomes insulin resistant when he eats above 150 or so. I'd probably have to double the insulin for the snack if he ate it in the mid-200s, but I don't really trust a school nurse to make that calculation with all the other variables involved. So he'd eat the snack, and then be high pretty much all day.

11. carbz

carbz Banned

I wouldn't put a crumb in mouth if my sugar was in excess of 80mgdl. Even If I am 100 the insulin is first. Unless I feel low and eat without testing I basically don't eat unless my sugar is low or I'll pay the price bigtime. Aggravating an already elevated sugar for is like pouring poison down my throat.

12. emm142

emm142 Approved members

If I only ate when below 80, there would be days when I just couldn't eat at all... Not eating for a long period of time makes me insulin resistant as well, so that certainly wouldn't help with getting highs down.

13. Traci

Traci Approved members

As an adult, that's your choice, but that's not the things work with a child. :cwds: We can't starve a child every time he's over 80.

14. Ashti

Ashti Approved members

Very good point. On the one hand, we know the best thing to do in terms of restoring blood sugar.

On the other hand, we have to be pragmatic to make sure our kids do not HATE this unlikeable disease and completely rebel.

We have to keep working together, and at times that involves cajoling, commiserating, and compromising.

The goal being that we make it through puberty together, and see them on their way to becoming well functioning adults who have the discipline to do what is needed to keep their blood sugar in the healthiest range possible.

It is a long road!:cwds:

15. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

If my dd is over 250 then the clinical aide will ask her if she will eat a low carb snack and take the class snack home, I would say 90% of the time she will. But if she says nothen we correct and bolus and move on. it is her choice.

16. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

actually, like someone else said, for us, we find the highs come down better when the food also goes in at the same time. Don't know why...just happens.

17. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

Wow, thanks for all the great responses. The school called me, I said yes - let him have his snack, cover and correct.
    I talked with the nurse, she was aware of the comments and was going to have a talk with the teacher / student teacher.

18. Cassidi's mom

Cassidi's mom Approved members

We are dealing with the same thing with our endo as well. They insist on a 15gram snack at bedtime to counteract the bedtime levimir. Well, she skyrockets and is in the 200s or 300s all night long. They also don't want us correcting unless it is over 250 during day and over 300 at night. I don't feel that it is okay to just let her be that high all night long. Have your numbers been any better? We sometimes try a .5 CHO snack, but then she is starving....can't wait to get a pump so she can essentially have whatever she wants for a snack and cover it.

19. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

I am surprised so many of us have a different regimen for treating night time numbers. Even our nurse and endo's visits gave us different things to work off of.

We were doing 150 for exercise and 130 for night numbers before we were to give a snack. Endo had us go with 120 for exercise and 100 for nighttime. We correct after 200 for nighttime, and after 160 for daytime.

20. wilf

wilf Approved members

You know you sound like you badly need help of a kind that we're not able to give here..