- advertisement -

Smiths Medical Announces Intent to Stop Selling Deltec Cozmo(R) Insulin Pumps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ellen, Mar 25, 2009.

1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

That is very sweet.

I cried the day the meter we got at the hospital stopped working, so I can't imagine how you must feel about "losing" Ian's pump. :(

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

oh. I cried when our 'first' meter went dead too! LOL

Luckily, we will be able to keep it until the warranty runs out. that's the good thing. But after that - unless something really new comes along it's always going to be our 2nd choice.

3. jbryan

jbryan New Member

I will miss my Cozmo. I went to Smiths because of MM's poor customer service!:cwds:

4. RosebudMama

RosebudMama Approved members

I've been doing some homework...I'm not an expert or anything. Just a simple mom of a CWD...

I, personally, think Abbott is about to release the Aviator and the timing of this announcement is strategically planned to provide them with a piece of the "market share" pie. Cozmo customers will have no choice but to consider other pump alternatives...what better time to roll out something new?

I won't be surprised AT ALL if the features of the Aviator are strikingly similar to those of Cozmo -- PLUS it will offer a remote feature and a future combo pump with the Navigator.

Cozmo has had a longstanding relationship with Abbott through the Freestyle strips. I remember a rumor I heard awhile back that the Freestyle Flash strips were no longer going to be manufactured....kind of makes sense now since they stopped producing the Freestyle Flash meter and the Aviator will be using Freestyle Lite.

Now Smiths wants to exit the diabetes industry...no doubt they're tired of paying MM a royalty for every Cozmo sold!

So MM will lose money due to Smiths exit...Abbott gains a customer base right off the bat...and the consumer gets a pump with lots of bells and whistles.

Hmmm...

5. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Okay, I have an additional concern. Smith's sells Navigator sensors at a steeply discounted price to those who pay cash. Abbott does not sell directly to the public. Other companies I have contacted charge much more. This is going to really hurt.

Chuck

6. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

OUCH Chuck. Have you contacted anyone at Abbott about it?

7. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

sounds good to me !!!

8. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

The Cozmonitor uses Freestyle Flash strips so they will have to continue manufacturing them for the next 5 years if they adhere to there statement of supplying supplies for the Cozmo

9. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

The Navigator also uses Freestyle Flash strips. (not lite)

10. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

I spoke to an Abbott rep at a local diabetes event recently and asked about the Cozmonitor and Navigator requiring Freestyle coded strips while the Freestyle Lite meter is being pushed. She told me Abbott is currently working on developing a strip than can be used for both the coded and non-coded meters. We'll see. :rolleyes: