- advertisement -

Smiths Medical Announces Intent to Stop Selling Deltec Cozmo(R) Insulin Pumps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ellen, Mar 25, 2009.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We get our sensors thru Edgepark.

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I would love to be a fly on the wall at the Cozmo, Minimed, and Animas offices right now....
    :rolleyes:

3. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I vote Abbott.

4. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I doubt the rep has any idea. Always buy based on current features. The future is never guaranteed.

I'm just hoping my Cozmo stays functioning for a loooonnnnggg time. I'll miss it.

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

It all just stinks to high heaven.

6. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I wonder if this is why Abbott has never gone forward with their own pump, which was approved by the FDA?? maybe they are planning on buying the cozmo from Smiths? and if so, then maybe they WILL still be integrating it with the navigator......

that would be the ultimate good luck. lets all think positively LOL.

7. *Shannon

*Shannon Approved members

The reps may not have known, or known how drastic this announcement was going to be. It's not unusual for companies to dump stuff like this on employees with no notice. I wouldn't want to be a Cozmo rep today, not for all the money in the world.

8. *Shannon

*Shannon Approved members

Michelle, I hope you are right.
    I really do.

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I just posted about this in the other thread, but I think Abbott almost has to do something like this, or develop their own pump. Otherwise, the other major pump manufacturers are all going to have their own integrated CGMS, and most people will just default to using the CGM that came with their pump.

I think there is hope for you Cozmo users yet!

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I hope that they some how continue on with the pump so that those that use the cozmo and want to stick with it have that choice, I know I'd be awefully bummed out if MM stopped making their pump..

I was starting to wonder when we'd hear something new from cozmo --although I thought it would be in the way of a new and improved pump, not an announcement like this!

11. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I don't doubt that the reps were clueless about this announcement. I'm sure they had no idea it was coming. What bothers me is that I was so heavily recruited to stick with the Cozmo pump. I had lots and lots of calls from Smith's medical making sure I was going to renew my warranty. Can you tell I just really don't want to pay my bill??? ;)

Part of me is really glad I got the renewal in the nick of time. We did renew the warranty based on the current features -- we really love the pump. At least we have 4 more years with it!

12. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

We have been very pleased with the Cozmo - so much so that we got another one after our warranty was up. The features are fabulous. I also like the Cozmo people I've dealt with, met at CWD FFL etc. They have never pushed us into choosing their pump, they were always professional, didn't put down the competition. I wish their marketing was better so they could have stayed in business.

As for Abbott, I wonder if they'll ever release their Aviator pump which has been FDA approved for more than a year or two, and they recently received FDA approval for the Aviator with a remote (like the ping).

13. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

So, I guess Smiths will not be at the FFL, right.

14. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

SO glad I didn't like the Cozmo!! :)

15. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I know it is just an Expo. But I did notice at the Denver Expo the other pump companies(including Roche Diagnostics) were there, but not the Cozmo. I was actually dissapointed as the Rep was not able to get to my house in time, but I still really wanted to take a look at the pump again.

16. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

You have a month to decide if you want to keep DME, usually. So you can probably still return it if you want to go with a different pump company. You will just have to check it out.

17. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

It won't change anything, but I am going to write to Smiths and tell them how pleased our family continues to be with the Cozmo pump, with the reps, with the customer service and that I am hugely disappointed about this biz decision.

http://www.smiths-medical.com/

18. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Well, did Smiths Medical stock go down or up today?

19. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

Just checked ---DOWN

20. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

good idea Ellen. Just sent them a note.