- advertisement -

Small basal needs and pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BittysMom, Jan 11, 2012.

1. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

Oops, thanks, need to get my decimals right! :eek:

2. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Brilliant! This would explain a lot of things! Now it all makes sense to me! :p

3. destea1

destea1 Approved members

I think the main draw for us on the omnipod is the 60-minute water resistance thing... having to take off the pump for baths or swimming etc, that sounds like a lot more pokes (unless - admittedly - I'm completely wrong and you don't have to completely take the pump site off to do these things with the other pumps?). She needs baths almost nightly and we live by the beach so it's tough to keep her out of the water in general. Am I totally misguided thinking we'd have to redo a set with the other pump options? If so that might change our mind! (I am reading up on this stuff but it gets confusing between brands and without knowing exactly how to physically use the pumps day to day - sorry if I sound like an idiot :) )

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

You don't have to take the whole thing off. :) The infusion set (the little sticker with the cannula attached) stays in, and the tubing just clips off of it. So for baths, swimming etc. you just "disconnect", leaving the cannula (or needle) in but taking the pump and tubing away. You don't sound like an idiot at all, I think that's something that a lot of people wonder about with the pump. But nope, I'm on a tubed pump and I only have to actually change the cannula every 3 days, despite taking the pump off daily to shower. :)

5. destea1

destea1 Approved members

Thank you Emma :) That definitely helps - might shift our choice a little, the pod does seem a little big for her little body...

6. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

we started my daughter on the pump at the age of 2. We put her on the MM 522 but have since upgraded tot he MM 523 (revel). the basal goes as low as .025 and the bolus also goes as low as that too!