- advertisement -

Sleepovers

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Junosmom, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Junosmom

Junosmom Approved members

Advice about how to manage sleepovers for a 12 year old boy?
    My son is planning a sleepover at his best friend's house as we, the parents, spend one night away (30 minutes away) celebrating our 25th Anniversary. He was diagnosed last September, just on the cusp of more independence. We had hoped for a week or weekend cruise, but then D happened. He is on the edge of puberty, and frankly, don't know anyone with whom I'd leave him for days because of exercise and nights, but he is taking on a lot himself and learning all the time. Maybe I'm just not ready - and he had an unaware low last night not caught by G4.

He is on Omnipod/G4 and generally has good results. I have worked on the basals to the point that I'm usually comfortable with the night routine given our parameters (that's another post) and I think I can set his program so that I wouldn't have to worry about a night low.

Here is what I'm considering:
    1. For this first run, asking them not to engage in strenuous exercise (to prevent night delayed low) Should not be a problem, if allowed would stay on xBox all night :)
    2. Running the basal a little lower and setting the target bedtime a little higher
    3. Ask son and the friend's mom to both check that the G4 is on hypo repeat (he will be two floors away from the mom, I think, in basement)
    4. Ask for a pre-bedtime text on BG/IOB.
    5. He will, of course, have snacks, glucose tabs, candy, etc with him

I want it to be a good time for them, and for me, to not be preoccupied and focus on my husband. Son is at age where "you have to trust me" yet I can hardly wake him if he is low and it is a struggle to treat at night (luckily, not happening much right now but did last night. He doesn't wake himself for a low.

Other suggestions?
    BTW, do not have other family in town. This friend has basic knowledge of T1D in that she has asked me many questions because her daughter dates 18 yo with T1D (though she is obviously not involved in bf's decision making and he isn't on CGM).

I know at camp they had protocols that helped prevent night-time lows. Do you have any protocols for overnights? Should I ask the mom to do a nighttime check (son will not wake up to do it).
    Thank you!

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I would maybe add in a middle of the night alarm for him to get up and check the dex and text you. If you don't think he will hear the Dex alarms, it will give him one more thing that maybe will penetrate the teen fog of sleep. Can your friends set a middle of the night alarm to check the Dex and make sure he doesn't need to wake up and poke. My daughter is 9 and wants more independence but she doesn't hear and respond to the low alarms either. She spent the night with my parents one night over spring break and they had basic information and are awake enough in the middle of the night to go push a button and see if they need to wake her up, but that's about it.

3. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Raising your nighttime target for sleepovers seems reasonable. I would definitely check out CGM in the Cloud on Facebook or go the Nightscout site. https://github.com/nightscout. This Dex remote monitoring set-up is PERFECT for situations like this.

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I'm sure your son will be just fine with what you set up. I asked my daughter about camp and they all had a covered bedtime snack like ice cream that would keep bgs up overnight, but that is camp life with tons of exercise during the day.

5. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

The only suggestion I would add is maybe to have a sleep over before the weekend when you are going away so that you can try things out. Then if something goes wrong you are available to help, and you might be able to relax and enjoy yourself more when you go away know he has done this before.

6. Junosmom

Junosmom Approved members

Thanks to all for your reassurances. We actually had asked the family for a trial run and they were open to that. They only live a mile away. I will add "covered bedtime snack" to our preparations. Thank you!