- advertisement -

skin tac question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by frizzyrazzy, Jun 5, 2008.

1. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

So when exactly do you apply the skin tac? Before an alcohol wipe or after an alcohol wipe (or iv prep)? And do you insert a site directly through the skin tac and is that sterile?? Or do you apply the site and then put the skin tac around the edges of the adhesive itself?? I ask because Ian is doing more belly shots and I'm finding that he needs a little extra stick on his belly ...

2. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

We shower, wipe with alcohol then apply skin tac until tacky but only on the area where the cannula will NOT sit. We do not go through the cannula site.
    Allene

3. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

We apply the alcohol wipe, and let it air dry. Then we apply the skin tac. I use a q-tip and make a solid circle, let it air dry, and put the site in. We haven't had a site infection, or a problem yet. I don't see any problem with doing a circle with a hollow center for the site.
    We do it the other way, but I don't see a problem with either.

4. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

We swab the whole area, after IV prep. Then let it mostly dry before inserting the set. Those of you who avoid where the cannula goes in -- is there a reason why you do that? It is sterile...

5. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Alcohol will actually clean off skin tac, so we apply the alcohol first, let it air dry, and then apply the skin tac. I use alcohol to wipe my fingers clean if I get skin tac on them.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  6. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

We use alcohol, then iv prep, then skin tac. If I do not use the IV prep under the skin tac, Tori's skin breaks out. We insert through it all.

7. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

We do alcohol, skin tac, then site... We do the site right through were we did skin tac, and havent had any problems.

8. frizzyrazzy

okey dokey then.

I also use alcohol then iv prep rigth now and we love that, but on his stomach, I've been having trouble and he hates when any part of the site is peeling off. lol

9. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Those who use alcohol and IV prep both -- can I ask why the alcohol first? IV prep has a lot of alcohol in it ?

10. frizzyrazzy

I find that it just sticks better (on his bum) when we do both. The iv prep has a bit of sticky stuff too it, and so the alcohol cleans and the the iv prep adds another layer of sticky.

11. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I've never used skin tac so I asked A+ Medical to send me some and they sent wipes. Those are pretty much worthless aren't they? How am I supposed to use a wipe without getting the stuff all over my fingers? I'm not sure I even understand the concept of a skin tac wipe.:confused:

12. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

We use the wipes. I just make sure I have the spray bottle of Desolve it nearby so I can take it off my fingers. We tried the liquid and I just made a mess of it :eek:

13. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

We do it exactly the same way:D So far, we never had an issue with the site.

14. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Dave~ I hope you give Skin Tac another shot this summer. Here is where you can get a free trial, you don't even have to pay postage. TRY THE LIQUID! http://www.torbot.com/category/1017/?PHPSESSID=404a40d832638310c692a0a9f611726f You can apply it with a q-tip and your hands don't get sticky:D. It really helps with swimming and sweating in the summer if you have trouble with Sites or Pods coming loose.

15. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

I LOVE the wipes and hate the liquid. If I get any on my skin, I just use the alcohol swab that I used to clean her site to clean off my fingers, it's very easy and cleanup is simple. The liquid, in our case, dribbles everywhere. The skin tac wipes dry faster, and leave a more uniform patch. IMO I would rather have the wipes.:)

Her site never comes off, whether she's playing in the sprinkler all day long, or in bath.

16. frizzyrazzy

thanks everyone for your help. I still the small sample bottle of skin tac that I got last year and so I'll try that for a while and then probably get the wipes..maybe. I like the liquid for when just an edge is peeling up, I can just swab some on, but doing the whole site it might work better with the wipes.

and just so you all know, even with a site on his bum and swimming, we never lost one at all last year. It's just his belly - maybe because he's moving and stretching more?? But since he does now like his belly I'm not going to discourage it by losing sites.

17. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

skin tac has alcohol in it.
    we've never used alcohol before site change.
    zero infections in almost 2 years of pumping.:)

just wipe with skin tac. sometimes she'll let layer dry and reapply 2nd layer for extra stickyness