- advertisement -

Skin Cancer- "Dear 16 year old me"

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Megnyc, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

With summer starting I thought this video about melanoma would be great to post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4jgUcxMezM

I met 2 girls under 25 last week diagnosed with melanoma. They are going through chemo right now but it is very unlikely they will survive to 30. My parents emailed me this video awhile ago and it made a big impression so I figured I would post it. Cancer sucks but there are things that can be done to reduce the risk of melanoma and catch it as early as possible!

2. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

I saw this on FB I keep telling myself I need to go in for a mole check. I have had several sunburns as a kid

3. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

Great video. Need to see the derm - was a bad girl and did the baby oil tan!:eek:

4. Lightly Salted

Lightly Salted Approved members

Yep! One bad burn as a teen, and I had pre-melanoma removed at 28. Annual checks from now on.

5. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

It's so interesting the culture of sun-worship. I am a pasty (basically transparent) Irish girl... I'm white as you can get... I'm fine with it... I have never felt the need or desire to bake and be darker than I am naturally. I don't avoid the sun, but I also don't seek out opportunities to tan, go tanning, fake bake, etc. but I moved to northern Indianapolis, IN this past summer. There are SO MANY NURSES and medical people I work with that pride themselves on always looking tan... they go to tanning salons,bake in the sun, oil up to get a better fry... it's disgusting how dark and wrinkled some of these 20- and 30-something year old women look!
    In Illinois and Wisconsin, I don't think there is nearly as prominent of a tanning culture... maybe because it's colder longer throughout the year? I'm not sure why it's so different only 4 - 6 hours away from where I grew up. I find it very odd.