- advertisement -

Ski school?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by njswede, Jan 25, 2016.

1. njswede

njswede Approved members

Has anyone here successfully enrolled their D child in ski school? I'm an avid skier myself and I'm trying to get the twins into it. But it's hard for me to train both at the same time and I'd like to have some of my own mountain time as well.

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

3. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Yes! Our dd took lessons the last 2 seasons at ages 3 and 4. That was fairly easy because the lessons were contained at the magic carpet and bunny hill and we could watch her the whole time. We had to sacrifice grown-up ski time but she got a lot of it, and turned into a ski maniac Incidentally, we were paranoid about lows but she always ran sky high.

I've been meaning to post your same question this season. We have a new dilemma now where she's good enough (blue level) to graduate to the next level. At our local mountain, that's either a lesson pack where the kids take several weeks of lessons together and ski the whole mountain, or a beginner club. The ski school has told us they don't think they can accommodate her in those options because there's no way to schedule bg checks and they dont want parents tagging along. The only alternative they'be offered is insanely expensive private lessons . If she were a little older, she could self manage to some degree and we could use walkie talkies to stay in touch. But at not quite 6 years old, with limited number recognition , she's not there yet. Even if we could schedule checks every hour, it feels too risky.

I think diabetes might win this round, and that we'll have to do our best to teach her parent-style for a couple of seasons.s I'm curious to hear how you work this out. Good luck!

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I work for ROI! I'm a Program Ambassador. It's a fantastic program for kids and their families with T1. The next one is actually Saturday at Camelback in PA. Then the next weekend is in MA at Wachussett. There are still spaces available for both! It teaches kids age 7+ how to deal with diabetes and skiing.

We managed ski lessons before Share. We made sure we had a basal plan going in, a plan for uncovered snacks and established a way for the instructors to contact us. It wasn't always perfect, but we did it. I would find out from the instructor where they would be and skied in the general area. I let them know that I'd pop over and test her. She always had sugar on her so she knew that when in doubt, just treat. We would fix later.

Now, we have 2 kids with d, they are 14 and independent skiers. They follow ROI protocol, which is, test or check CGM at the end of each run. If they are 100 or below, definite finger stick and treat. Definite reduced basal, we did 10 hours for Saturday, and they still went low at night, so we will go longer next time.

5. njswede

njswede Approved members

We're about 90 minutes from Camelback! Unfortunately, Noah is still pretty sick. I think he caught the adenovirus or something similar. 102 fever, sinus pain, ear pain and general misery. I may wait a couple of days and see if he improves and sign up if there are spots left.

6. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Teach him to snowboard! IMO, it's so much more exciting to surf snow than to slide through it on two long, narrow "feet" ...

7. njswede

njswede Approved members

If you're sliding on your skis, you're doing it wrong! :)

8. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

To be perfectly honest, I am skiing-impaired. I (used to be) quite athletic and coordinated, but after hours and hours of skiing lessons, my last ski instructor (by this time I had private instruction) said "Some people just can't ski", and refunded my money. I kid you not!

Several years of sitting in the lodge and sadly nursing buttered rums later, I got up on a snowboard for the first time for the sheer heck of it and surfed down the easy slopes like a pro. Go figure!

This is why I tell my daughters, whose feet have never touched skis, that REAL women surfboard!

9. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I was about a year older than your son my first ski season with diabetes. I had previously been on a ski team, I did private lessons that first season with my parents meeting up with me every few runs and then went back to the team the next season. This was pre CGM days but the general protocol was for me to test at the end of every run, eat enough carbs to get up to 150 (goal was 150-250 while skiing and post skiing) and then test before a run if I was not over 150 at the previous test. I really had no issues, actually lows during the evening after skiing were a bigger problem than lows while skiing. I don't know where you are in NJ but if you are close to belleayre in the Catskills (that is where I skiied growing up) send me a PM and I'll give you some pointers about their ski school and the medical staff there.

10. njswede

njswede Approved members

I think we're going to try to make the event in Camelback this weekend. It happens to be his first diaversary that day and this is a perfect celebration of a job well done by him. Hopefully I can nurse him back to health from that stupid virus by then.

11. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

I am so jealous! We're counting the seasons until our daughter is old enough for Riding on Insulin. :) I hope your son has a wonderful time!

Skiing is the only thing where I really feel diabetes is holding her back. The programs we've had to pass on this year are awesome, and she'd probably be ready for a team or club by next season, sigh. It's not the biggest sacrifice in the world, and my dd gets to do all sorts of sports and enrichment I didn't have the opportunity to do in my own childhood. But, still, I am jealous of some families we know with similar age kids who can send them all over the mountain with instructors -- it's a big part of socializing kids to snow where we live.

12. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I need Riding on Insulin for adults! I love skiing, but have never quite mastered the art of controlling my blood sugars while doing it. I'm either 30 or 300. And meters don't like 20 degree and below temps.

13. Beach bum

There is one this year! It is Sunday, February, 7 in Massachusetts. 18+

14. Beach bum

NJSwede...

Camp sign up cut off is Thursday afternoon as they need to get the final count in to the mountain for passes, rentals etc.

15. njswede

njswede Approved members

Thanks! I'll make a decision Thursday morning.

16. dpr

dpr Approved members

My daughter has been skiing for about 5 years now. She joined a ski team this year and had her first race last Sunday. She has her phone with Share and carries about 150 grams of carb (my wife likes redundancy and overkill). She tends to go low and we run a low temp basal.

For anyone within a couple hours of the Truckee/Soda Springs area of California, Truckee Parks and Rec has a great program that is incredibly cheap for the season and you don't have to be a Truckee resident. Soda Springs is their home base. It also gets the kids a season pass for Boreal for $45, which is over $100 off! Also if the parents help out they get a free pass for the rest of the day at whatever resort the team is at that day.

17. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Totally going to look into that!

18. Beach bum

Today is the cut off, so sign up this morning!