- advertisement -

Skateboarding...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lil'Man'sMom, Oct 2, 2011.

1. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

is Manning's newest craze. When he is not at school or football, he is skateboarding. He even talked his Dad into setting his ramps up in the basement for the winter. While we still get some wacky Bg's with his team sports, most days we manage his numbers. Skateboarding is throwing us for a loop.

Any other skateboarders with advice on Bg's. He looks at the board and drops.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  2. Jakethesnakesmom

Jakethesnakesmom Approved members

My son Jacob, age 9 has just gotten back into skateboarding big time - we live about a minute away from a skateboard park. It seems like it's even more exertion than team sports by far! I haven't really seen his BG's dipping any lower than with other activities but I'm taking the same precautions: test beforehand; if below 100 I will give a "free" 10 grams of carbs. Since Jacob tends to skateboard later in the afternoon, I'm careful about the bedtime BG and test again at midnight.

If your sons tending to go really low, maybe do a lower temp basal for a few hours? Also, maybe give a bit less bolus for meals after the activity? It may help to keep a record of when the lows occur (is it during the activity, or hours after?) to determine the best solution.

Good luck!

Stephanie, Mom to Jacob, age 9
    Dx since 2005, pumping with MM

3. momof3sons

momof3sons Approved members

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

Wanda - I know you already probably do this - but I can't preach it enough - MAKE SURE HE WEARS A HELMET!!!! All the time! One of Coco's friend's just suffered a major head injury just skateboarding down the road - they say he is lucky to be alive! But he is still out of school and tends to be violent from a head injury - I honestly probably would never have thought of a helmet, but this was a bright kid who is now looking at life-long problems :eek:!

As for the lows, have you tried something high in fat or protein to get a long-lasting bs boost?

5. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Wanda....our boys are so much alike :D

Tyler has set up a mini skatepark on the basketball court/street hockey rink in our backyard with ramps, grind rails etc....

If he is below 150, Tyler will go low when using his bike or skateboard doing tricks etc...150ish he tends to only drop into the 80's....he also brings powerade out with him, so when he stops to drink he will get a few carbs.

6. Jakethesnakesmom

Jakethesnakesmom Approved members

7. lil'Man'sMom

8. lil'Man'sMom

How very tragic...

The fat/protein may help. I was thinking that I would always have G2 on hand too. Make the rule: NO HELMET, NO G2, NO SKATEBOARD.

9. lil'Man'sMom

They are Jenn...

We should get them together someday... :)

10. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

I wonder whether adrenaline plays a role (more so than than with a typical team sport)? Seems like the rush of going down a ramp would cause adrenaline to kick in.

11. lil'Man'sMom

Could be... he usually goes high with adrenaline. If we don't have a good number going into football, a snack, and a little (1/2) insulin he spikes then pulments hours later. If we do the same with skateboarding he drops right away, we treat, bring back to a good number and give more snack and he still drops. Once he stops boarding he stays pretty stable through the night, no pulments.

He sure sweats when he is skateboarding, more so than with any other activity. He was so smelly tonight that I made him shower before dinner.

12. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Wanda...Tom is a crazy skateboarder and ALWAYS goes low in the midst if he has any active insulin running. He always covers food at half the normal ratio and usualy keeps Gatorade on hand throughout. And I've never seen an adrenaline spike with skateboarding.

He spent a week at skateboard camp and used no fast acting for four days (and kept his BG under 150 that whole time).

Just watch the activity level to see if there are any indicators of lows.