- advertisement -

Sites and Swimming

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashtensmom, Jan 10, 2012.

1. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

DD will be swimming for the first time since pump start after school today, and I am worried about the site coming off.

Would like to hear from others whether this has ever been an issue. The pool that she is going to, I believe has 'salt' water, not sure if it would have chlorine as well. She is using the inset II today. Will the chlorine/salt from the pool cause the site to come off? At times, even without swimming, we find the adhesive peels up around the edges. They seem to still stay on but just looks like it's about to come off. I have heard the IV3000 is not useful in the pool. Any tips?

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Personally, I've never, ever had a site come off whilst swimming (even with 5+ hours in the pool). But you should bring a spare site just in case. If it does fall off, just put a new one in. I hope she has a great time!

3. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I use IV3000 to cover sites at the beach to prevent sand and salt water from getting in, and it always worked really well. I really don't use it to prevent the site from coming off, though...never had a problem with that...and he's been 2 summers at the pool with the pump. We used IVPrep to swab the skin before site insertion, and that always provided a little extra stickiness. For LOTS of stickiness, SkinTac is like GLUE for us...so much so that we are going back to IVPrep. SkinTac makes it really hard to peel the site off. If you want extra reassurance in the pool next time she swims, I think that's the way to go.

My son does wear a "patch" that provides medication for his ADHD (like those stop smoking patches. I do put an IV3000 over that patch to keep it from coming off while swimming...and it's never peeled off.

Good luck! Hope she has a great time!

4. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

We use half a strip of Tegaderm or Opsite Flexifix taped over the bottom half of the site leaving the part where you clip in free so that you can connect and disconnect without removing the tape - that has kept his site on for several days when he's been in the pool for hours on end. For just an hour in the pool she will probably get away without tape.

5. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

We use IV3000 over the site while swimming. It usually will stay on just fine. We disconnect from the pump.

6. ashtensmom

Thanks everyone. We will just go 'as is' today and see what happens. As always, I will have an extra inset with me. It's not so much 'during' swimming that I am worried about, but the day or so after, as we just put the site on yesterday and wonder if the swimming would cause it to come off in the next day or so (especially tomorrow and while in school, KWIM). I would like to get away with not using 'skin tac' if it is like glue as she is sooo sensitive to removal of any kind of adhesive (even with using "remove").

We plan to give her a light snack and bolus for 1/2 the carbs and then unhook her for the swimming. Hope that works out because I know from previous swim classes, the kids sit on the egde of the pool for at least 2/3 of the swim class :mad:

7. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

My ds has never lost a site due to swimming, he has gone to waterparks for an entire day and spent hour upon hour in the pool in the summer and hasn't had a site fall off due to prolonged exposure to water.

8. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

We use IVprep and otherwise apply the set as usual during the summer swimming season. My son is a water bug and we don't have any real problems. If anything happens at all, the site starts to peel up around the edges.

9. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

During the summer with lots of swimming we use skin tac before applying the site. The best thing we have found is vet wrap. It's a bandage that only sticks to itself ( almost like an ace bandage ) we do pump sites on the back of his arms s before getting in the pool we disconnect and wrap the top of his arm with the wrap. This stuff is great it won't budge and the site will hardly even be wet.

10. Jakethesnakesmom

Jakethesnakesmom Approved members

When we've been swimming in the pool or ocean, a large water-proof band-aid over the site has always worked for us.

Stephanie, Mom to Jacob age 9
    Dx since 2005, Pumping with MM

11. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Wow. We must be the only ones that have an issue with swimming. My son went back on shots over the summer because it was to the point that he couldn't even take a really quick shower without his site failing. I will have to order some skintac and see if that helps. I want him to take some swimming lessons but it's such a pain.

12. ashtensmom

Update: Well DD went to her lesson yesterday and the site stayed on without any extra taping. I was worried as I was watching her swim and she kept tugging at her swim suit to adjust it and since swim suit material is so snug on the skin I thought it would peel the site. Also the shower in the change room was super strong and she said she thought it would peel the site off from the water pressure. Anyway, through all this, it stayed on and she's not due for a site change till tomorrow, so knock on wood.

13. Style mom

Style mom Approved members

No, we have issues with swimming too. Sometimes Opsite tape helps keep the site on, but sometimes it doesn't. It's a real pain.

14. hipp4acure

hipp4acure New Member

My son has always had trouble with sites staying on in the water. When we apply his site we use the IV prep wipe and then spray mastisol. This strong adhesive keeps his site on even in water. Hope it helps!

15. theflynns

theflynns New Member

Just something we have found helpful...

When we do a site change (our dtr is on the Paradigm Minimed and QuikSets), we do not uses IV Prep, but tincture of benzoin. It's what we always used in the hospital when we needed something to "stay stuck" (ie: EKG leads, steristrips, etc). We then use adhesive remover (medical grade of course!) with great results...Our dtr swims often, does Irish step dancing and is very active and we have very few problems! :)

16. britbabi84

britbabi84 Approved members

OK we just started on the pump and I know summer is a way off, but how do you deal with swimming and waterparks, etc..
    I mean I know the pump is advertsied as waterproof, does anyone actually wear it in the pool?! And if you take it off and you are at a waterpark for 5 hours how do you keep numbers stable as they arent getting their basal rate? It just seems like it will be really hard to keep numbers in control. Do they usually drop low from the activity?

17. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

We disconnect. He always runs low so we check often and feed him snacks throughout. I noticed that once we reconnected his BG would spike through the roof from all the missed basal - so I would give a bolus after reconnecting. Rather than doing this, Gary Schreiner recommends reconnecting every 60 minutes and giving half the missed basal. I'm going to give this a try this summer and see if it works better for us.

18. coconne3

coconne3 Approved members

We change to lantus for the summer and she's off the pump while swimming (without having to get out and replace basal) and hooks up when she eats.

19. manda81

manda81 Approved members

When we apply a new site and know swimming is in the plans we use SkinTac wipes under the site.

But just in general, we haven't seen a ton of issues with losing a site due to swimming, unless it was applied right before going. In that case, we also wrap it with vet wrap.