- advertisement -

Signal Breakthrough: Islet Sheets Thrive in Pigs

Discussion in 'Research' started by Ellen, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

2. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

I really have hope for this one!

3. brokenheart

brokenheart Approved members

4. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I sent an email and asked if they would like to answer here.

5. Deal

Deal Approved members

I doubt it hurts as much as a tattoo and people volunteer for those. I think most T1's would jump at the chance to trade a bit of short term pain for a year or two of freedom from trying to be a pancreas 24/7. The potential health benefits from a lower A1C would be nice freeroll too.

6. brokenheart

That's very true. It'll certainly make me feel better if each sheet is less than 1 square centimeters. Also, after it's planted underneath our skin, does it bulge?

7. brokenheart

http://www.cercomed.com/type-1-diabetes-research/islet-sheet-project.html

8. Deal

Deal Approved members

A new worry for our kids would be about taking a hit to the islets, via a fall, punch, puck, baseball, etc. I imagine the sheet is a bit fragile and that you would want to protect the area from trauma. 6 4x6cm areas is quite a bit.

It''s hard to get excited about emerging technologies when dealing with the medical field due to all the roadblocks and hurdles. I would be happy to see ds give this a whirl in my lifetime.

9. carbz

carbz Banned

I've spoken to Scott on numerous occasions about the sheet. Though I wish them success I believe Viacyte will make it happen first. Unless they run into a safety issue that is. For one they will have an unlimited source of cells using their stem cell line. Their Encaptra device which is similar to the Sheet has virtually the same chance of success. They also are working with Glaxo who would potentially get the therapy commercialized. Check out this recent video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9phosi-C94

10. Senninha

Senninha Approved members

11. carbz

carbz Banned

That is really a shame but they are still scheduled and in position to start human trials by 2014. Its really amazing how much has to fall into place to give us a chance. It seems insurmountable yet these researches keep plugging away.