- advertisement -

Side by Side Pics of Pod / Medingo Solo

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by maddiesdad, Aug 27, 2009.

1. maddiesdad

maddiesdad Approved members

My wife -- "MissMadisonsMom" took pics of the Medingo Solo next to the omnipod. We ordered the free kit out of curiosity.

I'm really not feeling like there is much advantage over the pod. Seems like more to go wrong and size is about the same...Maddie doesn't like it.

I have the "Computer Hacking Skills" as my children says, so check out the album...

CLICK PHOTO GALLERY

Also, check out my daughter pitching in a recent softball game while you're over there. I'm her proud daddy and coach. We've found 140-180 is a good zone to pitch in -- anything less and I fear for the batter.

SLAM! -vs- Comets Highlights

2. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

That's the pod now right? Not the new smaller one? Why don't you put your hacker skills to work and get us a pic of the new one :p:D lol

3. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I agree. I was really hoping it was significantly smaller :( I have to say, if I wanted a tubeless pump, I'd go with the OmniPod over the Solo, because its an established pump company with lots of people using it. I would not want a pump brand new to the market unless it had a significant advantage over everything else so it'd be worth the risk.

4. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I don't see an advantage aside from being able to disconnect, but you wouldn't want to do that for too long anyway. Plus, there's a piece that has to be replaced every few months, right?

5. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

Thanks for the photos. We are happy with the pod and this product doesn't give us enough of a reason to change. We are also looking forward to the new smaller pods.

6. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Thanks for the pics!

Nobody HAS the new pods yet so nobody can take a pic. I assure you the first time anyone gets one there will be a pic posted very quickly. This is why I'm not holding my breath... they don't exist until someone has one!

7. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

a couple of advantages :
    -you can remove the reservoir and put in a new one without removing the whole site... this is good for my son, who uses over 100U a day... one of the reasons why he wont try the omnipod...
    - with the solo pump... you can bolus directly from the pod, in case you misplace the remote....

stacey

8. Mermaid

Mermaid Approved members

That "piece" is the pump part of the device. The Omnipod has to be replaced every 3 days or so. The Solo "pump" part of the pod only has to be replaced every 90 days. A potential significant savings.

Being able to disconnect would eliminate the necessity for all the adhesive used to make sure the pod doesn't fall off while swimming, sweating with hard evercise, etc..

Being able to bolus independently is a safety that would make me feel more comfortable.

In a fair comparison the Solo IS smaller and weighs less. Let's keep an open mind. Omnipod was once the small start up company. Solo is getting a bunch of bad rap right from the start. It will be interesting to see what happens when it is released in 2010.

9. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I thought you'd still have to replace the cannula part every few days, like a regular pod/infusion set. I wouldn't want the cannula staying in my daughter's body for 3 months.

Is it? I hadn't heard anything bad yet, just that people don't see the advantages over what's already out.

10. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

That is the advantage we actually like. My son NEEDS to disconnect when he does sports. He goes low everytime, even with reduced basals. I guess it is a YDMV.

11. maddiesdad

maddiesdad Approved members

Pod Weights....

Omnipod 35 grams
    Solo 24.

12. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

I am still intrigued by it. :cwds: I would be willing to have Adin do a trial to compare it if addresses his insulin sensitive needs.

I like that it is less tall, weighs less, and you can easily see the insulin reservoir. I also appreciate the fact that you can disconnect even if it is just to check out the cannula area and inspect the other part.

Is the adhesive a different type? Adin is allergic to the Omnipod's adhesive.

Could you take a picture of it seperated?

13. Pavlos

Pavlos Approved members

The Solo is a beauty. Makes even me, an avowed pump sceptic, almost drool.

Let's hope it proves to be reliable and bug-free. And for us here Europeans, lets hope Medingo seeks EU approval ASAP :)

14. khannen

khannen Approved members

I've read this from many people, but I just don't quite get it. Isn't suspending the same thing? Can't all pumps just be suspended? Is it because of a maximum time length of suspend perhaps? How does it make a difference if basal has been stopped because of disconnecting vs. suspending?

Also Mermaid said "Being able to disconnect would eliminate the necessity for all the adhesive used to make sure the pod doesn't fall off while swimming, sweating with hard evercise, etc.." That makes sense to me because the extra weight of the pod/insulin cartridge is removed, but isn't there still the issue of losing the plate that IS attached to your skin. Sweat/moisture is still an issue... how does the Solo concept eliminate the need for extra adhesive?

I'm looking forward to it's' release and will be watching it's development closely.

15. taximom

taximom Approved members

That's the part I don't understand. How can the "cradle" (or whatever that part is that stays on the skin) stay on for 3 months :confused:? Especially for people that are having trouble keeping a pod on for 3 days. It can't be good for the skin, right??

16. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

I hear some people prefer to disconnect than set a zero basal -- they leave pump running to avoid clogs.

17. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It doesn't. It only stays on the traditional 2-4 days. It's the part that disconnects that lasts for 3 months.

18. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Any ideas how you get to bolus direct from the 'pump' part? doesn't look like any buttons on there :confused: Is there a way from the inside of the patch??

19. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

My son uses the Cozmo now with the Cozmoniter, so it has some weight to it. It is easier and more comfortable for him to just take it off than to suspend, keep it on and then run with it.

We looked at the pods when we first started pumping and he said he did not like the lump and the size of the pod attached to his body. He rather have the tubing. Next year he is due for a new pump, I like the Solo, but the choice is up to him.

20. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Pavlos, did you see the NiliMedix patch pump received EU CE Mark?