- advertisement -

Sickness and LOWS

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nancy in VA, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Ever since diagnosis, Emma has run high when she's sick. She doesn't get sick often, maybe a little cold / virus each year and that's it. But, I can usually tell she's getting sick because she starts running in the 300s for no reason - and then usually about 48 hours later, after I have pulled out my hair trying to diagnose the 300s, she has a fever, etc

She woke up middle of the night Sat night with the stomach bug. Is still fighting a fever in the 100-101 range, not eating much of anything, etc. But she's running low. She is barely in the 90s-100s and we are running 30-40% reduced basals. I know her basals are right, so its not from lack of food and basals that are too high - but we can't seem to get her above 120. She went to 150 last night once with a reduced basal and I was glad because she still had some ketones and I wanted to give her insulin, so I was happy she was a bit higher.

But, what would cause the LOWS instead of HIGHS with illness.

2. curediabetes14

curediabetes14 Approved members

After a stomach bug, their bodies do not absorb carbs thus their sugar drops. Our Endo actually told us that this is the bigger problem with stomach bugs is that their sugar drops and you can't get it back up. Three days after Kaitlyn had her last bug she dropped and it took three juice boxes to get her sugar to start to go back up then she had a hefty snack on top of that. Similar situations have happened each time she has had a stomach bug since diagnosis.

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Yes, exactly. During tummy bugs, food is not absorbed correctly (most comes out anyway), so you have to reduce insulin dosages, calm the nausea/vomitting/diarrhea and try to give carbs and dose for those conservatively, until you feel better.

4. ShelbysMom

ShelbysMom Approved members

We use peppermints during stomach bugs to keep some form of sugar going in, but not too much. DD seems to not mind these so much even when she doesn't want anything else

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I usually have to give Steven Culterelle during and after stomach bugs. He wont eat yogurt so the Culterelle helps to replace the good bacteria that can get wiped out during this bugs or when they take antibiotics. These are capsules that I find at Walmart, I break them open and they can be sprinkled in juice or mixed in applesauce and has no flavor.

6. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

This is how my son has reacted to illness since dx. Always low with illness- and ketones. We encourage him to drink full sugar sport drinks and sprite to get him up a little. Very hard to do- sometimes he will not go up enough. In Nov. He had iv's and they added glucose to try to elevate him....the highest was 180s. He was still in a strong honeymoon back then- which is starting to fade. I hope the lows with illness (and large ketones) are not the "norm" for him during illnss after the honeymoon completely ends.

7. selketine

selketine Approved members

William had a mild stomach bug (one throw up - no temp) but he went for TWO weeks not needing insulin - generally - for breakfast and lunch - and a lot less for dinner. We were able to keep his basals like normal though.

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Celiac. We ALWAYS have seen lows with any illness.. she never runs high with illness.. colds, flu, stomach bugs, you name it, it brings on the lows.

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Ian gets high with a cold but low with any sort of fever situation - even if it's not a tummy bug. On the few times he's just had rare fevers or ear infections he just always gets low. Bizarre.

10. Nancy in VA

Glad to hear its not just us. She had 10 carbs at lunch, and a negative correction for a low, and barely had any insulin - and still went low after lunch. We way under-dosed dinner and she went down to 35. Hubby keeps forgetting to run a lower temp basal, so I just went and set it, but we have been running a ton of those and still not in the 200s.

I guess the only good thing is this will really help counteract our higher A1C! :)

11. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We have no idea whats going on here but we are running crazy temp basals (0%-25%, 50%) and not bolusing for most of her food.. dinner tonight I bolused half her food in a squarewave, and had to suspend the pump to stop it and then do a temp basal for an hour. At lunch she had 70carbs, only bolused for 30, and a temp basal, and still went low..

This has been going on for days.. no illness..

12. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

We've had illnesses go both ways - highs and lows, and I'd take the highs almost any days. The lows, with ketones, are so hard to treat. My boys will sip full-sugar gingerale (with the bubbles stirred out), full-sugar popsiscles and hard candies. Seems like such a bunch of unhealthy food to feed a kid, but lows and ketones are very dangerous.

I think you are doing everything you're supposed to: reduce basal, reduce bolus, test often, test for ketones.

One thing I keep in mind, our endo said that if the choice is fluid or food, take the fluid, as dehydration is easy to bring on in these situations.

Hope things turn around for you soon, and I'd review the procedures for mini-doses of glucagon. Not to be an alarmist, but this is just what I do because I need to review things before I may need them, and the last time we had lows with vomiting, it was the thing that kept us out of the ER. Just saying :cwds:

13. Nancy in VA

Thankfully she hasn't vomitted in over 24 hours. She still isn't feeling well and stomach isn't great, so we are taking it easy on the food, but lows and low/moderate ketones still. We don't have ginger ale with sugar - we just have Diet, but I may need to go get some so she'll go up a little, although she can stomach some juice now that she couldn't two nights ago

14. joan

joan Approved members

My son needed 80 carbs a few nights ago to bring up a low. Earlier that day he said he had 20 glucose tabs in school. He has never had that many in a day. He has decreased his basal about 30% and bolus decreased about 50% and still going low the last few days. Tired and pale, no other symptoms. When he was young we would always think he was cured when he got sick because his insulin needs decreased so much. This is the first time in years he has had this happen.

15. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I don't know the exact why...I think it has to do with food absorption. BUT, stomach bugs are notorious for causing lows. Sorry your having to deal with it:(

16. Nancy in VA

Well, I had to juice her last night to get her above 100 so I could dose to clear ketones. She woke up high this morning with ketones still, so another mega dose to bring her down. Hubby, who doesn't always think, went and superbolused her breakfast (which we do with cereal or GF breads) and of course, 90 minutes later, she's 60. At least her basal is off right now, but I have no where to go but juice since I can't reduce the basal anymore.

These lows with ketones are a pain! Since food absorption isn't working right, the only way to really get her up is a combination of some carbs and reduced basal, but reduced basal just perpetuates the ketones.

But hey, first time I've used ketone strips in 18 months!