- advertisement -

Sick child, need ideas please!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by chelsedin, Sep 3, 2012.

1. chelsedin

chelsedin Approved members

Haven't posted on here in a while, hoping some of you make have some great ideas for me right now....
    My DD has a stomach bug (pretty sure from a playmate who was sick) and has gotten sick a few times over the past couple of days. She normally has the issue of BG spikes while sick, but this time is is BG lows. This is the 3rd time since yesterday.. and giving her the usual BG boosters (marshmallows, fruit snacks, etc.) just isn't appetizing to her right now since it makes her feel nausea all over again. Any suggestions on what I can give her to bring up the BG quick?
    Any ideas much appreciated, thanks!

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

Try popsicles or honey in tea.

And if she has a gastrointestinal bug (vomiting and/or diarrhea) then you'll likely need to reduce her basals significantly for a few days.

Good luck.:cwds:

3. sooz

sooz Approved members

How about some flat non diet 7 up?

4. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

You can give apple juice concentrate by the spoonful. Full sugar popcicles and flat soda. My Endo suggests keeping a piece of hard candy to suck on constantly if they can't keep anything at all down. It can be absorbed through the cheek when they aren't digesting in the stomach well. Saltines and pretzels are also surprisingly fast for bringing up bg and are sometimes easier on the stomach than sugar. Depends on how low bg is for us.

5. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

Jello Jigglers are a favorite sick day food here. You can make them with juice instead of water to pack a few more carbs in.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Dial back the basal, get some popsicles, lollipops, and if she gets really low and persistently low you might read up on mini-glucagon just in case.

Good luck!

7. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Non-diet Gingerale. It's easy on the tummy too.
    Lollipops dipped in sugar are good for a quick boost too.

8. chelsedin

Thanks all.. those are some helpful ideas! :)

9. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

No additional ideas...just wishes that your daughter is feeling better very soon!:cwds:

10. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

If using soda, stir out the bubbles. Flat Coke has always worked to settle my stomach.

11. chelsedin

Well, I am working her up from another low right now..it is getting increasingly more difficult to pull her up from lows. She did eat dinner, pasta with cheese, also a glass of milk. She hasn't vomited all day, but this was the first real meal she had all day. I've never quite been in this situation.. if she keeps this food down, I should be going in the right direction and not need to bring her in, right?

12. sooz

sooz Approved members

May I suggest, dairy may not be the best thing you could be giving her right now. You might want to stick with the BRAT diet for a bit, bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. Toast with jelly would be a good thing to bring her up a bit. Dairy, milk and cheese, is kind of rough on a sick tummy. I'm glad she is feeling better. You don't need to bring her in if her numbers stay manageable.

http://familydoctor.org/familydocto...at-diet-recovering-from-an-upset-stomach.html

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  13. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Also, we find after a tummy bug that he does not absorb carbs as well. I have to cut his doses way back, sometimes the basal as well. A lot of times we just do basal and no pre-bolus for meals and correct if necessary, for the first couple of days. Then I go to half-dose for meals and correct as necessary. It often takes a week for him to get back to normal dosing.

14. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Yes, definitely this!! I was so mystified the first time my son had severe diarrhea and he went low and I couldn't get him above 50 for hours no matter what. Well, not mystified really, but panic bordering on hysteria.:rolleyes::eek: We ended up taking him into the ER when we could not reach his endo...at which point his BG started to come up.:rolleyes:

Definitely bolus very conservatively if at all these first days. Good luck!

15. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

Same experience here. My son's had a tummy bug a few times since diagnosis, and for about 5 days afterwards, he did not need any boluses. Basal was down as well.

16. wilf

wilf Approved members

You've heard from many of us that you need to reduce the insulin she's getting - time to take that advice..:cwds:

17. tandjjt

tandjjt Approved members

I know you have said she is low, but have you checked ketones anyway? My son has been known to throw HUGE ketones with low blood sugars due to stomach bugs. It gets really tricky then because the insulin is needed to get rid of the ketones but you can't keep it going normally because of the lows... That is when zophran has saved the day for us - it stops the puking completely for my son and he is able to get carbs going in so blood sugar can come up and insulin can be given (granted, maybe still not normal doses because of tummy bugs and food absorption issues) to clear ketones.

We have a great endo team and when it gets to being this complicated, we call them up for help - they help us make sure we cover all bases and tell us if we get to the point that we need to go to the ER - But luckily, the zophran has worked so well that we've been able to get back on track at home each time so far (fingers crossed that we'll continue with that luck ;) )

18. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I must disagree. With lows and ketones you need carbs, not carbs and insulin. I would quote Hanas but that section of the book is not digitized. Carbs for lows and ketones, not insulin until bgs have reached a safe range.

Ketones with lows and not eating are starvation ketones. Chemically the same as "regular" ketones but not ketones as a precursor to DKA.