- advertisement -

Showers

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Heather(CA), Mar 18, 2010.

1. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Seth went from a beautiful 107 two hours and forty-five minutes after his last bolus to the 50's just because he took a less than 10 minute shower, I want to scream! Anyone have any tips for next time? I NEED sleep:mad:

He drank 4oz of milk, but I'm thinking a glucose tab or two next time?:confused:

2. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

No suggestions, but I'm with you on the sleep! Jayden came home from cheerleading saying her pump site was hurting and bg was over 300. I gave a shot and waited two hours, then rechecked/changed site. Bg was 543. Just lovely. Gave the suggested pump correction through the new site. Checked in 2.5 hours and 39!!!! So, here I am, waiting until I can recheck her after treating the low. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

3. Heather(CA)

Grrrr I hear you, Seth just went low again...66. I gave him two juices, I hope he comes up. I am really tired. I've been working two jobs. Waiting for a recheck here too

4. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

OK...survey says 80 at present. I'm going to get her a peanut butter cracker and then go back to bed. I'll be up in three hours anyway to get ready for work, so I'll check her again.

GRRRRRR. Hope you get some sleep soon, Heather!

5. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

I feel for you Heather... getting a teenager to "plan ahead" for showers and insulin intake is the bane of my existence. :D It seems this comes up in our home at least a couple of times a week when trying to balance after school activities, evening activities, showers in between, and trying to follow a regulated insulin regime.

We're open to suggestions....

6. Toni

Toni Banned

DN, being female, takes half hour showers. But she disconnects so is not getting insulin during this time. I don't have to replace any insulin after the shower either. I think Seth will have to have ten grams of something, maybe fifteen, before he gets in the shower. He can't take off the Pod so I can see why he is going low. P.S. I would worry about him going low IN the shower. You are not likely to be checking on him when he is in there as he is older. I really would not want him to go low in there. If he takes a shower within an hour or even hour and a half after dinner, you can throw in the free carbs then.

7. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

OK, I get the "Mom get the checker" .. DS was at 69 at 5:30 am est, ... juice box and 2 peanut butter crackers, tho he realllly wanted a donut! :-( We havent had donuts in forever! He was still hungry, his reaction to low's, so he had peanut butter with celery, too. Sigh. He told me yesterday while in the nurses office for another low of 69, he watched a girl eat a donut. :-( I think I will treat him this weekend.

8. Toni

Toni Banned

I don't know if it will be the same for your son but one donut seems to be okay. Sis does buy them sometimes. Even the Dunkin Donuts with frosting, 30 grams and she's usually fine. Insulin seems to cover donuts for her. That would be one donut. Not sure what would happen if she had a few.

9. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

Sleep? What is that? Sounds familiar but dont' think it's something that happens around here anymore . . .

10. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

Showers cause lows?

11. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

YDMV, but for most.. yes. The warm water/elevated body temperature stimulates insulin absorption.

12. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I think it is important to remember that this disease effects each child differently. There are very rarely blanket statements that can be made that apply to all children. I think hot baths taken right after dosing with insulin are more of a concern, in general, than showers. This is not to discount Heather's experience, this is a good post.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  13. Christopher

I guess we would have to do a poll to see if this really applies to "most" kids. My guess would be that it doesn't...but you never know.

I have never seen a low from a shower, but I have seen several from hot baths taken too soon after dosing.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Sorry Heather, I got nothing. Maddie disconnects and then runs high after showering.:rolleyes: especially if there's hair washing - that can take forever!:p Hope you get it worked out.

15. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

I was wondering, could this low be caused in part due to exercise/activity earlier in the day? A ten minute shower for a teen is actually pretty quick. Seems like a big drop for a quick shower. I hope you ended up getting some sleep!

16. Heather(CA)

The weather is changing at the same time so I did change some basals. No shower tonight and he's a little high 178 unlike last night..

17. Christopher

How are things tonight?

18. lisahackman

lisahackman Approved members

Alexa often goes low in the shower as well. It isn't just the OmniPod-it happened when she was MDI as well. Something about the insulin and the warm water just can trigger for her. I know it isn't everyone but I do have to watch her. It is worse in the evening after a day full of activity but it can happen with morning showers as well. YDMV!!!!

19. blbrocky

blbrocky Approved members

When my son was diagnosed and in the hospital we were told by the Endo to wait 20 minutes after bolusing before showering.

20. Heather(CA)

178 two hours after dinner, then went up to 190 something at 3+ hours, so I corrected and he woke up at 100. I had changed his 7 to midnight basal from 2.0 to 1.5. No shower...