advertisement

Should we or shouldnt we get a cgm???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Cdpimpinella, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Cdpimpinella

Cdpimpinella Approved members

My husband and I are considering getting our daughter a CGM. However we dont know any other families who have a CGM. Just wondering your views on them...is it confusing? Does your child mind wearing another device on them? My daughter is 6 and is the bravest girl I know. She has been pumping with the Animas One Touch Ping since Dec 2011 with no problems. She would probably be fine with it...its me I am worried about.

2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Best thing since sliced bread! Seriously, my son had an illness recently that had his sugars all crazy and oh my goodness, that thing was such a sleep saver! Today it was amazing to watch it work its way around a pizza dinner. I've learned SO MUCH about how his body reacts to things, we've been able to tweak his overnight basals based on some very specific trends we could clearly see.

I say yes.

3. Lance

Lance Approved members

We wouldn't be without it. It has been a MAJOR plus in Z's life.

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

There is definitely a learning curve when you start it, but once you get going its a great tool. Personally, I'd give up the pump before I gave up the cgms.

5. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

We love the cgms and like Kim, we would give up the pump before the cgms. It makes live so much easier. There is a learning curve to it, but I think it would be smart to start now, while your dd is still young. Young children adjust easier, and especially ones she is in prepuberty, or starting on doing stuff without you, the cgms will give you a big piece of mind.

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Well, my family could not live wthout it!!!

OUr clincal aid could not live without it!!

I never thought of having it for my dd until reading of it on little one here. we had a trial and were hooked.

Take it as you may. But if you are a "tester" then it will make you ife better with less tests.

When it it workin well we are only testing 3-5 times a day, when before and a todddler we wer testing 12 times a day.

At tis point it is not n opption. everyone that is taking care of her feels better that it is on her even during those times that it is not working well.

In the end of this all. I think that you need to try it and see what info you can gain than just dismissing it all.

i too thought that it may be too much to have my D carry the receiver for the dexcom, but really it has give her allot of control over the situation

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

As a seperate note, my dd's teacher had a t1 last year on shots and she has allready voiced her preference to a pump/cgm.

Like Steinfeild: NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH IT

But: it gives others a sence of control. Letting a teacher dissmis a T1 to the care of the "clinic" is huge. Of course she is only 6 now, but as the teacher stated, having an idea of what was going on was immense.

8. Droz

Droz Approved members

There are pros and cons like anything else. But one thing I will stress is that you will still need to test bs on the glucometeter just as much or sometimes more!!! You never correct with insulin or food based on what the sensor may say. It takes three hours plus three glucose readings in the begining for the sensor to start reading bs. Those first three readings are calabrated into the pump and then it will start giving you numbers. However extreme highs and lows will throw off the cgms. There is usually a 20min. delay because the cgms is testing the fluid between the skin not the blood. I do like the cgms because my son does not feel his lows and with the minimed relem it can even predict lows and highs and will give an alarm. The graphs I down load every week-two weeks. The informaton helps me make changes and fine tuning to the pump that I would not normally be able to do. Just like learning how to use the pump, there are a lot of features and alarms you will not use in the begining until you are comfortable. You can usually call your rep. and they will train you and even let you try it for a week or so you can make a choice. My son has been using it for four years now. He takes breaks. One week on and maybe 2 weeks off depending on how he is doing.
    I hope some of this helps

9. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

My son started using the dexcom 2 weeks ago. Honestly, it is the best thing we have done for him/us. This sensor has been very accurate and the trending info is eyeopening. Our sensor is 15 days old and still going strong.

10. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I did feel like there was a lot to learn about the Navigator, but the Dexcom is super easy to learn and use. All that you have to do is look at the size of the manuals that come with each of them to figure out that. I don't know personally about the Minimed. My son is likely going to order a Dexcom because he knows that he cannot live without a CGM and his Navigator is on its last legs.