- advertisement -

Should I have a 504 plan in place?

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by kgerrick, Aug 29, 2011.

1. kgerrick

kgerrick Approved members

Just looking for some input. My dd is back at school as of last Wed. I have not put a 504 plan in place at her school. (Quick backround: dd was diagnosed at the end of last school year.) I have had great support from the school secretary. Also, dd has taken over control of her own care, of course I am always overseeing how things are going. Caitlin asked if she could please not go to the office before lunch everyday like we did when she was diagnosed, to test and take insulin before lunch. I talked to school and they are willing to do whatever I ask. So what I decided was to supply the school with extra insulin, glucagon, needles, strips, alcohol, juice, snacks, glucose tabs and gel, an extra meter and the official detailed orders from the endo that covers what to do if... So I'm not sure if I should be putting a 504 in place. By the way she is in the 8th grade at the middle school. Privacy is very important to her and so far she is testing before her lunch and taking the appropriate insulin to carbs. I check her meter everyday. I feel like things are going good. Should I be doing more or have I done enough at this point? Thank you all for your advise!:)

2. kgerrick

I forgot to finish what I decided. Which is supply the school with all it needs for her care then let dd be responsible for testing and insulin before lunch and before getting on the bus for the long ride home (30 min). The school will always notify me with any highs above the number 250 and lows below 80. And all of her teachers know she is T1D.

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Danielle is in a similar situation. She has never had a 504, only a medical plan and the schools she has gone to have been terrific about giving her whatever she needs. But I am concerned about High School and may get one in place before she is a Freshman, just to be safe.

One theory is the best time to get a 504 in place is before you need it. Especially as they progress into High School and more standardized testing, you want to make sure she gets the accommodations she needs. Good luck.

4. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

The 504 plan is for accommodations to level the playing field for your dd. The plan has nothing to do with the endo's orders. The plan makes sure your dd is not penalized for situations over which she may not have control, & to allow her the same access to education that every other student has.

A couple of issues we've dealt with that are covered in our 504:

DD left at the beginning of class to go to the nurse's clinic to change her pump site. While she was gone the class was given a pop quiz. By the time she returned she had 10 mins to complete the quiz. Everyone else had 25 mins. She failed the quiz because she ran out of time, but the 504 allowed her a do-over so her grade didn't suffer.

Sitting out PE because of high BGs with ketones during a round of prednisone. Her participation grade was 0, which dropped her overall grade. The 504 plan insured she the 0 was not averaged into her 6 weeks grade.

I love hearing about schools that are so accommodating on their own, but even in those situations the staff can change & the kids move to different schools as they get older. The 504 plan is a safety net.

5. kgerrick

Thank you Michelle'e Mon and Chris-

You clarified this for me. I see now that it is a safety net. You both make complete sense. Thank you!:)

6. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

also, in some situations with state testing which is often has time limits, they have very strict rules on leaving the classroom at any time, so you'll want a 504 accommodation that allows her to have the test stopped and restarted if she needs to check BGs and treat a low or if she has to leave to get more assistance with BG. Often the school simply cannot make that sort of accommodation without a 504 in place.

7. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

Ours is one of those schools. Testing begins in 3rd grade, w/o a 504 my son would not be allowed to test bg, treat or stop to treat. He wouldn't even be allowed to have his meter! It's important.

8. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

i would recommend in addition to the diabetes management plan also having a 504 plan in place. We have a great nurse at the school that can handle the medical part of the diabetes but the 504 plan says stuff like she's allowed to test any where any time. She's allowed to leave the class for restroom or water breaks. If her BS is high or low she can retake a test. During state testing she was running around 300 so she was allowed to re-take the test later on the next morning.

9. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Our state's standardized testing has changed this year & will have a 4 hour time limit. The first school year after dx, we had it in the 504 that the school had apply for accommodations for my dd. The state board denied us any accommodations, so we just followed the existing 504 & she had a special monitor assigned to her. There was no time limit on the test, & she was allowed to leave for any d care. Because of this, last year we marked out the paragraph concerning applying for accommodations. I didn't find out about the new time limit until after we'd already signed the new plan for this year. I'll be contacting the 504 coordinator in the next week or so, to request a time stop on the test. I've seen some of the details of the testing. It worries me that if she has a low that takes a while to come up, she might not have time to finish. It also irritates me that this is one more thing to discourage these kids from doing what they need to do to care for themselves. To make matters worse, if our kids don't pass these tests, they don't pass to the next grade.

10. kgerrick

Thanks everyone. Really great info.

11. Victoria!

Victoria! Approved members

FYI...This site has a GREAT selection of 504 plans by age/grade and therapy. It may not have everything you need, but is a great place to start.

12. kgerrick

Thanks! I will take a look at them!!

13. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

You should absolutely get a 504 in place. Great situations can change quickly. One person gets sick or is fired and everything changes.

14. kgerrick

I am going to get the paperwork for it this week and talk to the secretary about scheduling an appt. to sit down with the principal, nurse and secretary who does a lot of go between work. Thanks!!:)

15. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

You need a 504 inplace before there is a problem. For us, it ensures that Ab can delay taking a test if out of a range of 70-250, or if she needs to stop and check and/or treat a low bg that she will not be penalized for time. For state testing, her time will be extended if necessary. Looking ahead, this will be important for SAT's and ACT's. We also have a provision that if a flu outbreak affects the school, Ab may stay at home as a precaution and receive tutoring. Our school district has been wonderful.

16. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

Hi Kristen,
    I have been meaning to call you but life has been super crazy!!! Anyway I wanted you to know that we have not had a 504 the whole time Alli has been dx'd. This year I called the director of special ed and she said that Alli needs one so she can be protected. So if you want one all you have to do is give them a call. How is that for a great school system!!!!

17. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

My DD is also 13 and in 8th :rolleyes: My only question is how will the school be able to notify you of all numbers over 250 if dd is independently managing her D? I only hear about highs if maddie texts me the number or if she has a big issue like a pump "no delivery" alarm or an empty cartridge or dead battery and she goes to the nurse to trouble shoot the problem. Other than that, only Maddie knows what her bg is doing during the school day.

18. kgerrick

Thanks Judy! I got your voicemail. We've have been crazy busy too! My sister in law is moving out today and Cait has her 3 month endo appt. today also. Not to mention all the work leading up to moving my sister in law out. Thanks for your advice!:)

19. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

I agree. It is important to have accomodations in place when taking Regents, AP tests and especially SAT's & ACT's which have many strict testing rules. The results of these tests are important in the college process. It is easier to get the accomdations when you have a 504 in place. My son was diagnosed at 10 years old but we waited until he went to high school before we had a 504 because we had wonderful care in both grammer and middle school and did not find a need for it.

20. kgerrick

Hi Marcia,

That's a great idea. I never thought of the flu out break. Caitlin had her endo team appointment today and they gave her a flu shot. I am going to put that provision in her plan as well. Very good idea. Thanks for writing.