- advertisement -

Should I call the doctor?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom2Michael, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Mom2Michael

Mom2Michael Approved members

This is our first time being sick since going on the pump.
    Michael has been having high numbers for a few days now, anywhere from 200-400 and last night he started to vomit. The last time he was in the bathroom I had him pee on a stick and his ketones were between trace and small and his glucose was 2000+. Is this because of the stomach thing he's picked up or from high numbers the last few days. I also think he had more candy at school yesterday than I was made aware of :( I just checked his blood and he was 546! I did a bolus even tho he's asleep.

2. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

Do you have a ketone meter? Is the site good? If he has ketones and they are making him vomit then you could have a bad site. Theres also the tummy bug thing. Either way call the doctor if you want but check the site for sure and prepare for tummy bug illness.

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I think its ok to keep him home for now. The ketones are probably from the high numbers and the illness. They both put stress on the body and make for production of ketones. With the high BGs you can keep giving more insulin which should help clear the ketones. Is he able to sip some gatorade or water? Call the endo to get advice about how much insulin to give him today. He probably wont feel like eating much so maybe just fluids today. Hope he feels better fast!

4. Mom2Michael

Mom2Michael Approved members

We changed the site last night so it's probably okay. I know there is a stomach virus going around. If he had to get it too bad it wasn't last week when he was off the entire week because of the snow.

5. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

Eewww.. Then hes probably got it. So sorry! We just went through it too. Best you can do now is keep on top of the ketones and do your best to get carbs in so you can bolus. Basically follow the sick day rules. Popsicles are a good slow way to get carbs in.

We use emetrol and prescription phenergen. It works for us but many folks here wont agree. Its up to you and your doc.

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

As long as ketones are low you can manage at home - but you sure should increase his basals while he's sick..

By the way, what meter goes up to 2000+?

7. Becky Stevens mom

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

9. Becky Stevens mom

10. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

If his bg is going down with corrections, I'd leave the site as is. But if it's not going down significantly, I'd change the site again.

Oh, and call the dr if you are worried. That's what they are there for.

11. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

If you are ever in doubt, call the doctor office at least let them know what is going on. Our clinic will even call us back to check in and give some advice! I find it a little piece of mind knowing that the clinic is aware. Good luck!

12. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

The great thing about the pump is you can do a temp basal. When my ds is sick it could go up 10-40% depending on how stubborn the numbers are.