- advertisement -

Should I be worried???

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by pianoplayer4, Jul 21, 2010.

1. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

my dd has had d about 6 months and so far has done really well with it, doing her injections, checking her bg. but recently she has started to do things like not bolus until after her snack up to thriy minutes really when ever it is convient for her. this is partly my fault for telling her its ok but that s when we are having a meal and she is not sure how many carbs she will have until the end (buffet, meals brought in courses) I can tell that she is struggling ith d but she won't talk to a theripist I knwo that and she won't even atlk to her friends about it really. she dosent like talking about us badly to her friends ( another thing thats my fault we have always stressed that you should not atlk bad about your siblings to others) were ok right now but I'm worried that she is only going to get worse, maybe not bolusing at all or not testing when she should. arrrgggghhhh maybe I'm just being to much of a worry wort:(

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

How old is your teenager? That can make a difference.

I log everything and check my son's meter and pump to keep an eye on things. She needs to know you are there to help her remember and to make adjustments as needed. You have to keep an eye on things.

Not everyone has to talk about issues -- we didn't in my family and it seems to work ok.

3. mommyof5

mommyof5 Approved members

I think its normal(well at least at my house lol) for them to go through this. It was an easy first year because she honeymooned pretty good. Kaley hated and still hates d. She hates talking about it, she hates when people ask her about her blood sugars and how she's doing. All of it. She was diagnosed at 12 and it took her somewhere dark for a while. She agreed to counciling after a long 2 years lol, which I'm not sure how much it helped, but I think it had more to do with knowing we were on her side. She still hates d. She still struggles with doing things right and "forgetting" to bolus. She is getting betyer though. Her attitude has changed. She is much happier. We had to set some new rules like instead of texting me random # when she is away it must be a clear picture of her meter with date and time showing. It makes it easier on het because I can figure out exactly what needs to be done if anything needs to be done. Kind of takes the pressure off. It will get better for you daughter. Sometimes they have to figure feelings on there own. Kaley said she did it because she wanted to ne normal and some other reasons. I can't imagine being a teen with diabetes. It's got to be a tough place.

4. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

does she have any friends with D? I think that really helps, it takes time to find those kids with D. my dd has like at least 1 or 2 really good friends with D. we met them after dx.

5. Mom of 15 yr old

Mom of 15 yr old Approved members

been there too

Oh my - I read this post and I could have written it myself. 1 1/2 years later and there still are times when my teenager "bucks" the diagnosis. I think that sometimes she just wants to be normal. Sometimes - doesn't take insulin for snacks, doesn't eat the right things, doesn't take her shots before meals. I have talked with her doctor, she said this is SO normal for a teen. We had her talk with a professional for awhile. It was a good thing. Did it change her ways - not fully - but it did make her realize that we aren't the bad guys in this whole situation. We are her support and her shoulder and the hug when she needs it. I would say 95% of the time - she is good and does the right things. She is a teen (16) - I let her handle it. I do butt in when I need to and give her the lectures when she needs them. I do check her meter periodically. It helps to have a school nurse who is not only a great support for my teen - but in my corner as well. It has become a true partnership. This is something they will have forever - I can't even relate to that. If she needs to feel "normal" at times to help her cope - I am on her side.