- advertisement -

Should a 4 year old go on CGMS?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by twodoor2, Nov 5, 2007.

1. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

My daughter is a bit young for a pump, but do they allow CGMS for someone her age? I think it would greatly help manage her diabetes, while I give the shots.

Our doctor said she would be fitted for a pump in 6 months time. Does that sound normal to you for a four year old?

2. Isabelle's Mom

Isabelle's Mom Approved members

Isabelle started pumping just before she turned two, and started CGM-ing a few months after that. So, it doesn't seem too young at all to me. It has really helped her A1c's and reduced her post-meal spikes. Not to mention reducing the finger pokes and giving us some peace of mind! It's priceless.

As for starting the CGM before the pump, others here have done it and I'll leave the comments to them!

3. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

Jessi started pumping when she was 15 months, so it doesnt sound young to me. CGMS wasnt available when we started pumping, and we are still working with insurance to get her started on it now.

If your insurance and dr will go with cgms I say go for it.

4. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

The six month wait for the pump probably have more to do with insurance stipulations than it does for the best interest of the child. If I had a very young child dx'd I would want the pump immediately. The pump can accurately dose very small amounts of insulin while a syringe is very limited in dosing insulin. Our insurance has a six month wait to get coverage a pump after dx.

There are several parents of very young children with CGMS on this forum. My DD has used CGM since June. She is eight years old; she told me to make sure that is was working before Halloween. This way she wouldn't need any fingerpokes to see where her BG was heading...just pokes for insulin and some glucose corrections.

5. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

We started the CGMs before the pump and it made pump start soooooooooo much easier! If your Dr and insurance will go for it I would DEFINATLY start the cgms first. We had our basals set in a week :eek:

6. twodoor2

I contacted our insurance and they will cover whatever pump we choose. I assume that the minimed is the only one right now with FDA approved CGMS. Is that a correct statement, and is that what most of you have your children on for CGMS?

Also, how long is the waiting period to get a pump once insurance approves it?

7. Mommaof7

Mommaof7 Approved members

Just curious, what type of insurance do you have? I would love to get my son on the CGMS but our insurance won't cover any of it and we just can't afford the costs.

8. twodoor2

We are on Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Illinois PPO. However, not all PPO's are the same, it also depends on your company and what they will allow to be covered if you're insured through your employer.

9. Mommaof7

Mommaof7 Approved members

thanks, just curious. we have Kaiser in Hawaii and just found out they are getting rid of the diabetes program they have and rid of many supplies I use regularly for my son. I'm looking into paying out of pocket for another insurance to cover it, just not sure yet, looking into all our options.

10. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

My daughter started pumping at 14 months and it was the best decision we ever made! It really helped make life a lot easier with a young child. (my husband had been pumping for years, so it was a pretty easy decision for us)

We started trying out CGMS when she was about 19 months and got on the waiting list for the MM 522 as soon as we could. It came out last November and she's been wearing it 24/7 ever since. It's Great!!!!

We had to fight with our old-school endo's to use this great technology, so you are very lucky to have doctors that are aggressive and proactive.

It's not always easy to learn a new way to manage D, but once you get it all figured out it's amazingly better! Go for it!

11. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

my daughter started pumping before 3.5years old. I know many have started younger than her.. I believe she's at the ideal age for a pump, it'll only give you better control. the CGMS isn't FDA approved for under 7, but many get them covered.. kaylee's is arriving on wednesday through ups.. Although we had to pay that part out of pocket.. the pump was covered by insurance..

I don't see a reason why you have to wait the 6months.. right now is a perfect time, if you want it..

12. Budapest

Budapest Approved members

Hi,

Unfortunately there are some endos telling people to wait 6 mo or a year before starting to pump. BS (and I don't mean Blood Sugar)

Find a more up-to-date doctor for your child.

We switched endos and started pumping at 2 and CGMing at 2.5 yrs. We never regretted it for one second. (Our child just turned 3.)