- advertisement -

Shots

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by otwellfamilyx4, Nov 26, 2010.

1. otwellfamilyx4

otwellfamilyx4 Approved members

How many of you parents of teens with D, still help them with shots?
    My son is 13, and is on a pump--for 5 years now. He can do a site change--
    but refuses to do it anywhere but his booty.
    And if he's HI, he won't give himself a shot---either myself or my husband has to do it. Its been a rather frustrating thing to deal with.

2. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

My son is 14, diagnosed last December at age 13. He will do his lantus shot in his leg, and he will do his lunch time Humalog shot with the pen, all the others he asks us to do and we do it. He doesnt like to fill the syringe, he gets frustrated with the air bubbles, etc. I figure he has the rest of his life to inject, if he wants our help, he's got it! :cwds: And we pretty much do all the carb counting for him, I know he could do it if he wanted/needed to, he hears us and he does chime in once in a while...which is a great thing to know that he is really listening to what we have to say! lol

- Kathy

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  3. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Our son is 13, soon to be 14. Dx this January and I do everything for him. He will bolus most of the time when I ask him to, but I count 99% of his carbs and do all his site changes. He is autistic though, so I have no idea how much he would do for himself if he was neurotypical.

4. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I did most of Seth's shots when he was at home before pumping, he did the ones at school and if I was too busy. He could do them, I just helped out because I figured he had the rest of his life to do it.

Does your son know how but just doesn't feel like it? Or he doesn't feel comfortable doing them?

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

If my daughter were at home and asked me to do a shot I would, no questions asked. She will be here for maybe 4-6 more years, and I don't mind easing her load for that time.

She has many decades after she leaves home to do her shots herself..

6. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

I agree with everyone above. We grab supplies. We fill pods. We test at night. He does fine on his own, but we try to make sure he isn't on his own all the time.
    Just curious, how often is this occurring? Why not bolus from the pump or change out the site then bolus? Does HI mean 300 to 400, or off the scale for your meter?

7. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

My 16 yo still wants me to put in his sites, fill his insulin. I do what he asks me. He has the burden of this for the rest of his life. I'll lighten the load as much as he wants while he's living with me.

8. kyles_mom

kyles_mom Approved members

I pretty much do everything for Kyle at this point. He has never done a site change, and if he needs a shot because of a bad site I do that as well. I think like the rest have already said.... he has the rest of his life to do it himself. I count all his carbs for him at home, but he is very well versed in doing this. He counts his own carbs at school and when he's out with friends. I think the important thing is that they know how to do it, not that they are actually doing it, kwim?

9. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My older is 13 soon to be 14. He can do most of the pump load process but still doesn't know how to give a shot. We just haven't taught him that. He rarely gets shots, maybe one every couple of years at most? We do it then.

10. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

He is going to need to know how to give shots. Someday the pump will malfunction. You may not be around to give him the shot.

11. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

He's only 13 years old, I wouldn't worry in till around the age of 17-19 when they are off to university/college, because it's no longer an option when your not around your parents....but for now I wouldn't worry about it

12. Andii

Andii Approved members

My daughter can finally do site changes and shots, but still wants me to do most of the work. I'm fine with that, but periodically I remind her that I'm not coming to college with her ;)