advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shopping Incident

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by jules12, Nov 29, 2017.

1. jules12

jules12 Approved members

This was a first for us - while shopping in an electronics store on Black Friday with the family, my son's bg went low (50) in the store. His pump was alarming and he confirmed it with a bg check. Well -- one of the employees thought they saw him put something in his pocket (which he did -- obviously his pump and/or meter). I ended up purchasing some candy while checking out which he opened and starting eating right away. The police pulled us aside as we were exiting the store. Asked him a few questions about what might be in his pockets and thanked us for cooperating and on we went.

Just curious if this has ever happened to anyone else.

2. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

Never had this happen, but completely understand the store employee's perspective. He was just doing his job.

3. jules12

jules12 Approved members

We totally weren't upset or anything - just never really thought about it until it happened. Everyone was nice....didn't mean to imply otherwise.

4. Deb Schmidt

Deb Schmidt New Member

Wow - now that's one that I haven't experienced with my son before! Part of me understands that the store is being careful and following policy, but the other part of me realizes that I'd likely be on edge just worrying about the low that I likely wouldn't have been thrilled about the police query.

5. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

I do remember when my daughter was small & would be low at the grocery store, I would just open the juice boxes or whatever & give it to her. We were buying it, of course, but I was always ready for someone to be making a comment about eating stuff before buying or whatever. These days, I wouldn't let anyone make me feel bad for doing what I need to in order to take care of my own.