- advertisement -

Shocker a Pump Question!! =o)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wenlefeb, Aug 4, 2011.

1. wenlefeb

wenlefeb Approved members

Sooooo Ethan will have had Type 1 for 3 years in October. We are now discussing the pump and a CGM for him. We are looking at the Omnipod and Medtronic primarily. My husband and I like that you can combine the CGM with the pump on the Medtronic, my son likes the idea of no tubes on the Omnipod. I would like to know if anyone has experience with both or either and what you like and dislike about both!! BTW Ethan is 11.

Thanks
    Wendee LeFebvre

2. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

We use medtronic

We went with medtronic, mostly because of the integrated CGM Feature.

I really like also the pod with no tubes; however, it may depend on the age of your child. THe pod was way too large for my 4 year old. But my friend just transitioned to the pod with her 10 year old boy and he loves it.

How old is your child?

3. hopeo71

hopeo71 Approved members

If you go to the Omnipod website, they will send you a free non-working pod to actually put on and keep on for a couple days to see how you like it. I did that for Jordan, and it was nice but by the third day it looked like the pod was pulling away from the tape. One of the first things I did was find out what my insurance was going to cover. I didn't want a big out of pocket expense, thus we went with the Animas and have no out pocket expense. Good luck in your new journey

4. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We have the Omnipod, and LOVE IT! The only downside for us has been one bad shipment (that Insulet replaced) that made us nuts, but even with that, we wouldn't change a thing. :D

5. wenlefeb

wenlefeb Approved members

Thanks! Ethan is 11.

We are just starting the process to see what is covered! FUN***

Wendee

6. Mindy and Tim

Mindy and Tim Approved members

One main reason we decided to go with Medtronic was because with the Omnipod, you have to have the remote to work the pump. We figured that was just one more thing to have to worry about them losing. (My son was almost 11 when he started, my dau was 10 when she started).

7. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

When we first started talking about the pump, we were really excited about the Omnipod because of the no tubing...but we got the practice pod and it was so bulky...and then we went to a diabetes information fair and talked to reps for Animas, Medtronic, and Omnipod and really loved the idea of the integrated CGM on Medtronic.

Our coverage doesn't pay for the CGM, but we did end up going with Medtronic anyway. After all of my research, it just seemed like the best fit for us. I love the fact that the meter beams her blood sugar number to the pump, I love the ease of the Bolus wizard, I love the option of the integrated CGM in the future.

Definitely try to talk to reps from all the companies, and get their informational brochures. You might also want to ask your endo's office and see which pump they prefer to work with. Obviously, don't let them dictate which pump you should get, but they may have reasons they prefer a certain pump which don't necessarily occur to us.

8. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

My son is 14 and he wouldn't even consider the pumps with tubing, so I don't have any input on those...but we just started pumping with Omnipod a couple weeks ago and are madly in love with it!

Whichever pump you choose, believe what you read on here - pumping is absolutely awesome for the kids.

I read tons of "why we love pumping" posts on here, but I didn't really get it until we started pumping. I soooo get it now, it really does make life a lot easier and more normal for my son!

9. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

My son is 9 (will be 10 soon) and uses the Omnipod..and just recently the dexcom cgms. We love both and have had very few issues with the pod. It is the best pump for my son and we have no regrets. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

10. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

My DD has been pumping with the Omnipod for just over a year. We chose it because it is tubeless, we found the automatic insertion quite tolerable (DD and I each compared it to being snapped by a rubber band), and the user interface on the controller (the PDM) easy to use and understand.

The pods are bulky on my just turned 7-year old, but the new smaller profile pods have been submitted to the FDA.

We are also looking forward to the integration with the DexCom CGM, but are not sure when that will happen.

Our first month of pumping, it seemed that we had a high rate of pod failures out of the box. We have not yet had an occlusion and only once have we had to change a site due to a bent cannula.

Overall, we are happy with our choice..

Definitely meet with the reps of the different companies to get a sense of the pros and cons.

Good luck!

11. emilyblake

emilyblake Approved members

Our daughter turned 5, 2 weeks before she started using Omnipod and is on the small side for her age (so is my other non-D daughter). She is now 7, weighs around 45 lbs and is super trim. The pods would of course be better if smaller, but the lack of tubing was a huge driver for us. We are extremely happy with it and the Dexcom but do use skin tac wipes to help the pods stay on. I like the auto-insertion as well. We use lidocaine cream to numb the pump site about 1 hour prior to insertion to help with any pain.

We liked the Dexcom's lifespan (7 days per sensor and we never get less - usually closer to 2 weeks or more). Dexcom has been great, I honestly can't imagine living without a CGM - and the sensor is so tiny (compared to pods).

I am happy there are pump choices because maybe our requirements will change one day. I recognize benefits and drawbacks with each type of pump available but for now this is the one for us.

Good Luck!

12. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

My daughter has been using the Omnipod with the Minimed Guardian CGM for over 4 years. I think it's a great combination. She started them both at age 8, and is now 13.

13. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

We were on the Minimed (522 and Revel) for 3 years, and have been on Omnipod along with the Dexcom for 6 months. My DD is 14, and she definitely prefers the Omnipod.

What I miss on the Revel: Active Insulin Display!

What I love about the Omnipod: Tubeless. Full functioning Remote. Easy to insert. No more trying to find her pump on her pajamas in the middle of the night!

For us, switching to the Omnipod really made a big difference in how my DD felt about her T1 - but everyone is different. She feels less different and more confident with the pod. There are a few things that are more work for me on the Omnipod (can't refill the pod with insulin, absolutely have to change it by a certain deadline every 3 days), but it's worth it because it makes her happy.

The Revel is a great pump - it's really about what works for you!

14. alismom

alismom Approved members

Allison has been using the Omnipod and Dexcom for two years. Loves them both and wouldn't change either.

15. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

This is part of the reason we chose minimed. :) Of course, he still has his meter to keep track of, but those are easier to replace.

His Dr. highly recommended minimed. He said it is the best pump out there. That's his opinion. DS didn't like the idea of the pod; he thought it would be too bulky (I admit we never got the free demo pod). I didn't like the idea of higher monthly costs, since each pod is so expensive. I bet he'd consider switching to omnipod (when the time comes for a new pump) if the pods are smaller by then.

We've been pumping (with MM) since May and love it! The tubing isn't such a big deal for DS. I was really surprised that his a1c went down after starting the pump because it was already low before pumping (6.2 went down to 6.0. Yay!!!). I think it went down because he is able to correct those "in between" numbers that aren't high enough to justify an extra shot on MDI. I like that it does all the "remembering" for me, different I:C ratios, etc. And I love that I don't have to explain all that to someone when I leave him with someone else, like a babysitter or at school.

I have put button holes in the pockets of some of his pants to thread the tubing through, so the tubing doesn't show when he tucks in his shirt. Just a little tip. :)

So I'm going to say the same thing people said to me when I asked about choosing pumps...whichever one you choose, you'll like it. The differences are pretty minor (aside from tubeless), so they're all great. You'll love the freedom from shots. I recommend getting the demo pod for your DS. The D center near us has demo pumps you can look at, so maybe there's a place near you that will do that, as well. There's no substitute for seeing it with your own eyes. I think that will help a lot in your decision making.

Good luck!