- advertisement -

She wants a pump vacation. Advice?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jcanolson, Jul 30, 2013.

1. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

After almost 8 years on a pump, she came
    back from camp wanting to switch the MDI. We have the Lantus and the doctor's instructions. What else do I need to know? Dr. says Lantus once per day, but I seem to recall people saying it works better splitting the dose. What have I forgotten about MDI? What apps are available to help keep track of IOB, dosing, etc?

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

personally I would still use the pump to keep track of everything for you since you are used to it. Your dd is only 9???(hate how you can not se the signature once you are replying), so you will be be the one needing to keep track of IOB and such for her?

kind of depends on what your dd basal needs are and whether they are fairly steady or if the fluctuate and if you see a peak with Lantus.

we only use 1 dose of Lantus and do not split it, but it we see a peak and she has increased basal needs right after going to bed, so we time the Lantus peak to cover the increased need.

3. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

DD takes pump breaks often and she usually has better A1C's on MDI than pumping, so don't fret. We split the dose because she needed much less insulin at night. We switched to Levemir as it does not sting like Lantus does, but it also does not last the full 24 hours.

I think it is great that you let your child take the lead on this. She may get sick of shots right away, or she may enjoy the freedom of not wearing a pump for a while. DD's breaks have been as short as a month and as long as 9 months.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We go untethered every summer. My daughter is older, so for her she needs varied overnight basals. We still have a set on her, and we hook her up overnight to cover for when the Levimere runs out.

We will use the pen for corrections and bolusing, but there are times when she wants a break from the pen and we just plug in.

I would say to her, fine, we can take a break, but just so you know you will need shots anytime you want to eat, no complaining. I have found that when my daughter wanted to do MDI outside of summer, the novelty wore off quick and we went back to pumping pretty quickly. We also find that it takes a while to get a good balance of long acting. Yes, there's a formula for converting, but that is just a starting point. We always have to tweak it until things start to work for us. Usually it takes at least a week of changes to get to a good spot.