- advertisement -

She saved my life.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CaitlynGrisham, Nov 12, 2010.

1. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

I had a very bad low today in 2nd period physics. The kind of low where you shake and can't control yourself, you know? Well, my friend, being the awesome friend that she is, gave me juice and got be back to normal. I realized today that this is not the first time that she's saved my life while everyone else sat and stared at me like I'm an idiot.

I was down in L.A. with a school club that I'm in called FBLA: Future Business Leaders of America, and we were staying in this awesome hotel. We attended conferences and chillaxed by the pool. It was great. The second morning rolls around and Cassie (my friend) tried to wake me up to no avail. She grabs my meter because she notices that I'm breaking out in a cold sweat and tests me. Apparently, I was waaaaay too low. (She gave me some numbers when I called her a day or so ago to ask her what I was when she tested me and she said 15 & 18, but I think she's confused because I don't believe my meter reads that low. I really don't know.) She grabs the juice and pours it into my mouth because she can't find the glucagon. I slowly come to, after much kicking and resisting the juice. I tested thirty minutes later and I was only at 35. At this point, I'm conscious so I drink more juice and eat something.

Everything up until the 35 bg is all her story because I don't remember any of it. It made me realize that I could have really been in trouble if she hadn't have been there. Our roommates were gone and no one was on our floor. She was the only one there with me. If she hadn't have been there, I could have gone into seizures and no one would have found me in time.

I don't mean to depress anyone; that wasn't my intention. I just...feel so thankful for my friend(s) who have saved my life countless times. I hope that everyone here can find friends that will be assertive enough to shove crackers and juice into their mouths against much resistance during a low or be willing to give an injection with that scary glucagon needle if need be. I know that friends like that are sorta rare these days :)

So, yeah. That was my inspirational story for the day. :cwds:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  2. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

I'm confused? :confused: What glucose meter shows 15 or an 18?

3. CaitlynGrisham

My old one showed it, but I can't remember what brand it was. I'll look for it online and try to link it to you.

4. CaitlynGrisham

I had the One Touch Ultra Smart. That being said, this is mostly my friends story that she told me. I don't have the logs anymore and those are the numbers that she gave me, so there's margin for error. After all this time, it's entirely plausible that she might have gotten the numbers wrong.

5. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

What a great friend!:D Clone her! LOL Have you thought about getting a cgms just in case she isn't there if there is a next time?

6. CaitlynGrisham

I love her like the sister that I never had :D
    I wish I could! I would give everyone a copy of her! She's even gone to glucagon training just for me :D
    I am working with minimed and insurance to get on track for a cgms right now, actually. :) I am hoping that I will get it in the next month or so!

7. MReinhardt

Must have been a pretty old meter. Non of the newer One Touch or the One Touch Ultra meters really read that low. The lowest they will read now is "LO" that means 20 or below. Glad your friend was there to help you out! Hope you never have to experience that again or your friend!! Scary for both.

CGMS would be an awesome tool to help avoid those low, lows. Although they are not perfect, they do help!

Good luck with the CGMS too. Just remember that there is a learning curve to using the MM CGMS or any CGMS.

8. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

Great friend!

9. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

awesome! I hope matt finds great friends like yours some day!

10. sooz

sooz Approved members

You have a wonderful friend! I hope if my granddaughter ever needs something similar someone will be there for her too!!

11. Brendan's Mom

Brendan's Mom Approved members

OMG! That is so scary! Thank goodness your friend was there for you. God Bless her! I hope my son have friends like that when he gets older. I hope you can get the CGM soon. Wow. Please try to be careful. Take care. :D

12. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Great story!

My DD is going on a school trip soon. She has asked for a specific friend to be her roommate because she knows that she will look out for her. This friend is very shy and has a hard time making friends. My DD overlooks the shyness and pulls her into social settings. I am confident that if the need arises, this shy friend will rise to the occasion.

Tell your friend that lots of moms out in CWD land appreciate her very much.

13. Caleb's*mom

Caleb's*mom Approved members

What a blessing your friend is!!:D

14. Deannas mom

Deannas mom Approved members

You are blessed to have such a friend.. My daughter has a friend like that,,she is always the one to look out for her just as your friend has done,,,hang on to her tight and let her know how much she is appreciated not only by you but by all us CWD mom here..:cwds:

15. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

I don't actually know what the lowest our meter will read is, but one of the ones we used to use for the fire department would read pretty low. I remember getting a 12 on a guy one night. I was surprised enough that I had someone else test him 3 more times while I was getting his IV started and the dextrose in :) I think it was an older model of Accu-Check, but I really don't remember.

16. emm142

emm142 Approved members

My Accu-Chek Aviva, Accu-Chek Aviva Nano and Bayer Contour Link all read down to 10.

17. MReinhardt

That's why I was asking! I was confused. I had a hard time downloading the Accu-Chec manual, and when I finally got it download, I came across this (look in the yellow box) . . .

Accu-Chec Aviva - from the booklet
    [​IMG]

And from the One Touch Ultra Smart meter
    [​IMG]

18. caspi

caspi Approved members

I think it is important for all of us with CWD's to educate their friends regarding what happens when they go low. I tell them all that if they ever see Cameron laying on the ground, he's not faking and to call me right away on his cell phone. Thank God this has never happened, but it's important for them to be aware of this.

Because of this, Cameron was able to help a schoolmate a couple of months after his dx. The boy had a seizure (not D related) and was laying on the ground at the playground and Cameron ran over to the teacher to tell her. The rest of the kids thought the boy was playing around. (This was actually when I started educating his friends that if they ever see Cameron laying down, to call me.)

Back to the OP, you are so blessed to have such a wonderful friend!! Thanks for sharing your story!! :cwds:

19. Mom2henry

Mom2henry Approved members

So glad she was there and had the presence of mind to act.
    I too hope my son will have friends like that-so scary-glad you are OK.