- advertisement -

Sharps in college

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by nanhsot, Aug 11, 2013.

1. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

So we've never really worried about sharps, at first used a milk jug for used needles, but more recently just bent the needle over and tossed in trash. Yeah, I'm sure that's horrible but it's worked as far as I know (and I did check our local trash company when first diagnosed, they had NO policy for it).

I did buy a sharps container for his dorm room, figuring his roommates would rather not have needles laying around! I'm curious what others do, and how what does one do with a full sharps box? There is no medical clinic on campus, the health services are done on an as needed basis at the local medical clinic.

How do you handle sharps in college? The needle to fill the tslim cartridge is particularly wicked!

2. moco89

moco89 Approved members

3. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Yes, the convenience of not having to change sites/fill cartridges won out over apidra. He's on novolog and while there's been some adjustments it's working pretty well.

It's a nifty little pump!

5. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Molly was required to check in with the nurse at school and was given a sharps container.

6. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I hadn't even thought of this! I'm going to have to figure some thing out for that...

7. Deal

Deal Approved members

On vacation we just use an old water bottle and when full either hand it in at a pharmacy or trash it. A tonne of medical waste collected properly ends up in landfills or dumped illegally. They are suppose to incinerate it but that is expensive so some collectors choose to make some extra money and illegally dispose it elsewhere. Guaranteed landfill seems like a reasonable alternative.

8. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Yeah, we cannot take sharps in to pharmacies in the US.

In my state, there are no disposal rules on sharps and there is no hazardous waste program where I can safely dispose the needles. There is a collection of sharps sitting in the garage where I live.

Legally, I can throw the sharps in the trash in a laundry detergent bottle, but I do not think this is the right thing to do.

9. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

after reading this post I called the health services at my school to ask them what I should do... they said I could bring my sharps there (and also that I did not need an official 'sharps' container (at home I just put them in an old laundry detergent container) I would call and ask what your schools policy is.

10. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

I just used a detergent bottle. They are made of similar thick plastic as sharps containers. At one point I had biohazard stickers to label them with, I think that was during college? It all runs together:eek: