- advertisement -

Sharps containers??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Hayden'sMom, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Hayden'sMom

Hayden'sMom Approved members

Hey all...

I am in the midst of getting all DS's "goodies" together for school. I need to have 2 sharps containers for lancets. One is for the class room and I was going to use a bigger one for that... I need one for the library, but my pharmacy only has big ones.. any suggestions for little ones? Do you think it has to be the standard yellow sharps container? Any suggestions??

Much thanks:)

2. Lucky 868

Lucky 868 Approved members

WalMart has smaller Sharps containers online. Ours are red, though, not yellow and I'm not sure what size the yellow ones are. WalMart's small one is around $5, I think, and you can get it delivered to your home pretty quickly.

Just curious, why does the library need a separate container?

Cyndy
    Mom to N, 17

3. Hudson_Rocks

Hudson_Rocks Approved members

4. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

Your suppose to change lancets :eek:, lol.

My DD will only change her's once a day and that is usually after she does her bed time check........and she does not have a multi-click

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yes, I'm curious too.

Is your child changing the lancet every time they test? Are they requiring your child to put test strips in there?
    When we were using changeable lancets, we would just change once daily at the nurses office. Now, we use the Multiclix and I try:eek: to turn it every day.

As for sharps, I get ours at Target or CVS, BD brand. About $3.

6. dragonfly

dragonfly Approved members

check with a different pharmacy. One of our local ones hands out small ones for free.

7. Lynnieg123

Lynnieg123 Approved members

We just use large plastic orange juice bottles at home (our town dump suggested it) I would think any small thick plastic container would suffice for school like an empty Emerald nut container.

8. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

How many times is he being tested at school? If it is only a few times, I would just use the same lancer and not have to worry about all these sharps containers. Seems like overkill.

9. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Another person curious as to why the library needs a seperate sharps container. Ashleigh just stores all her used lancets and test strips in the back of her meter case. Then throws everything away once she gets home.

10. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

Connor throws his used strips and lancet drums (okay, that never actually happens - we're in the turn once a day club) in the bottom of his diabetes bag. I clean the used strips out of his bag at night. The only place they use a sharps container is in the clinic for used needle tips for his shots. We didn't provide the sharps container; the school did. We have found luck finding the small sharps containers at small, local pharmacies.

11. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

We use an empty bandaid container, plastic, to store used strips, lancet, and pen needles, and the odd syringe, and kept it in her kit. Now on the pump and using drums, we don't need a sharps container at all, but we do use a small metal mints contaner (altoids) to store used strips and one or two used drums. This is for when we don't have a trash can near by.

And we use an empty clorox cleanup wipes container for the counter for sensor changes and site changes. But if we ever get new MM sensors in the US, I might never need a sharps container again! Woo hoo. :D

12. Beach bum

In a school setting, I would want a sharps container, this way there is no mistaking what it is, little hands can't get inside it or shake out the needles.
    I know our school would insist on it from a liability standpoint, and I'd have to agree this is definitely one I would comply on.

I do remember seeing small, travel sized containers at Target or Walmart.

Our school requires the changing in the nurses office because there is an industrial sized container there. Luckily, we are on drums, so no bother there. If only she would change the drums on a daily basis, I would be a happy woman. As for strips, I'm just happy if they make it to the bottom of the diabetes bag!

13. Hayden'sMom

Thanks everyone!

The school requires us to change the lancet everytime:eek: I was thinking if this is the requirement and the sharps container is in the class....where will they put the used ones? (they want DS to check his finger and then replace lancet with a new one incase the Aide pokes herself or something).

So yeah, this issue along with so many others has me totally freaked out about Hayden starting Kindergarten on Friday... I had to go and buy chocolate today:eek:

14. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

Have you guys tried the multiclix? The drums eliminate an exposed needle and you just twist the top to change the lancet - it might eliminate the sharps container issue all together.

15. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Have you looked at the Multiclix lancets? They really are perfect for school. No sharps to dispose of or worry about. You can use any lancet device with your current meter.

16. Christopher

I think it is totally inappropriate for the school to be dictating how often you change your lancet.

They want a 5 year old to be responsible for changing the lancet every time? Simply because they are worried about the adult accidentally poking themselves? If your son is checking himself then how would an Aid get poked?

Also, if that is their fear then wouldn't it make more sense to just use the same lancet and then there would be Zero chance of the Aid poking themselves.

Sorry, this just seems wrong to me on several levels.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  17. Hayden'sMom

Um. I totally agree. The whole kindergarten school with diabetes is just seeming to be turning out wrong!!!! We don't have school nurses here, just aides. Apparently they will be helping my 5 year old check his BS...then I have to magically show up and push the buttons on the pump so he can eat!!! EVERYTIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyways, I really don't know how the heck they are going to change the lancet everytime.. what happens on the playground??? They can't make him go back inside to check when the Aide will have his supplies in a small bag with her? I am trying to be positive, but it just might be a freaking disaster:(

18. Hayden'sMom

Multi-clicks might be the answer... I will have to look into them.

19. Christopher

Sorry you are dealing with this. Does he have a 504 or a health plan? I think the important thing here is that you need to decide exactly how you want his diabetes handled at school, and then make it very clear to the school personnel exactly what they need to do. You and his endo are in charge of his medical care and they are responsible for carrying out your plan. I know it is easier said than done. Good luck....

20. Beach bum

The school cannot dictate this, get a note from your doctor saying that it's perfectly fine to change the lancet once daily. And, if they are so hell bent on the lancet changing every time, then they can supply you with the requested sharps containers.

I'd be visited by DSS for our lancet habits lately.:eek: Let's just put it this way, we could be a little better...