- advertisement -

Share unconventional things, make me feel better please!

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by nanhsot, Sep 18, 2012.

1. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son is such a radical sometimes it freaks me out, but somehow it works for him. Tonight he went with me to his sister's volleyball game and we went out to dinner after. He calmly asks if I happened to grab insulin. Nope, why?? Cause I'm all out. I am (duh) a little panicky and give him a few suggestions of carb free foods to order. He orders a cheeseburger and fries!

Then I see him BLOWING into his tubing. That little goofball thinks he got about 20 units and danged if he wasn't 120 when he got home!

I can't decide if I'm impressed or appalled. I have to say that I'm thankful he can McGyver his way out of diabetic emergencies but I surely wish he was a bit more attentive to the fact that he CLEARLY should have planned better.

Any other creative strategies to overcome diabetic emergencies out there?

Teenagers. They are their own brand of idiot sometimes.

This actually isn't the first time he's done this actually....

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I know a type 1 who knows a type 1 who went somewhere, realized he was out of insulin... and drank alcohol to shut down his liver and actually was still not high two days later.

3. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

you have to give him props for creativity!

4. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Great laugh this morning! Kudos to the ingenuity.

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

What a great story!

I am sorry, but that can't be beat. My son would just go high until he got back home.

6. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

Oh boy, I will have to remember that next time Vincent runs out of insulin in his pump...

7. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I had to do that before :)

8. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I once forgot my poker (I was at school an hour away from home=O) I just picked a scab from a shaving cut every time I needed to test=O.... it worked

I've also gone on shots over night cause I ran out of insulin at a diabetic friends house.... but I think your story wins

9. Mrs. Russman

Mrs. Russman Approved members

LOL so true.
    Ben showed up at a picnic the other night and handed me a meter with no test strips and an infusion site. He didn't have one in all afternoon! And he walked off to find some friends!.

10. Parla

Parla Approved members

I hope he didn't have cheeseburger in his mouth when he blew into the tube! :D

Stories like these make me feel like we are all gonna be alright. And the next time we are driving down the road and I hear Fur Elise for the second time that day I will be sure to say, "Hey J! Just blow in the tubing!" Ours only holds ten units so we should be fine.

11. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Kids are so creative. I am going to have to remember to do that when I am short on insulin. LOL

12. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I use the multiclix and for a while I was changing the lancets every blood sugar check. Once (or maybe more than once) I pulled out the drum of lancets and then realized I didn't have another. You can't reuse a drum. I used a pen needle to draw blood.
    When I told my CDE that story she told me I was a hard core diabetic ;)

13. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

I used to fill my reservoir with air and pump through the insulin in the tubing. I seem to recall this being easier when I was on Animas instead of MM, but this may also be that I got older and less risk-takey and more responsible about not running out around the time I switched.

I've also used a variety of objects as lancets before as well. Personally, I find syringes to be a little too fragile for my tough fingers, but nail clippers work pretty well.

14. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I've tried this before, but it didn't work because when I primed the reservoir full of air it never got to the point where it recognised insulin in the reservoir, so I couldn't stop priming. Not sure if it's possible to get around that?