advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shaking Knees when going low

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by hockey7, Apr 16, 2007.

1. hockey7

hockey7 Approved members

Ok this may be an old wives tale but has anyone ever heard of getting your child to bend their knees (while standing up) to see if they are shaking when they feel like they are going low....Someone told me this and just wanna check if anyone else has heard it...

I would never not test to confirm if hes low or just wanting lollies:)

2. jpb286

jpb286 Approved members

I dunno about that, but the only time my KNEES were shaking when I was low, was a while ago(10 years in fact) a few weeks before I got my pump and my blood sugar was 6 mg/dl. YES, 6 mg/dl.

I was alert and knew everything that was going on and was at school but my knees started shaking and then gave out (my brain decided walking wasnt necessary for survival at that moment) and I couldnt speak. This one teacher(who knew I was diabetic, but had never seen anyone this bad) handed me a pen and a pad, and I scribbled on it "DIAL 911 NOW, GLUCAGON IN DESK"

We always kept glucagon in the teachers desk drawer in elementary school just in case, and a minute later the teacher whips out the glucagon, mixes it up, and I was able to give it to myself. When EMS showed up sugar was up to 20mg/dl, so I got an amp of D50 which helped significantly.

Because my A1Cs were around 7.0 then (but BG's were 20-400) we had to try and "convince" the insurance company to purchase the pump. Well after 8 EMS transports that year due to severe hypoglycemia, they finally "gave in".

Now it is Virginia State Law that the insurance companies HAVE TO PAY for an insulin pump if the doctor writes a prescription for one. They have no choice. My case(pre-pump) was one of the reasons this eventually became state law.

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Rachel doesn't seem to get shakey - if shes feeling low, she'll be pale, and usually say "I think I feel low, or maybe I'm just hot" :confused:

4. Kirsten

Kirsten Approved members

Griffin sometimes says that his legs feel funny when he is low, but I've never seen them shake.

Kirsten

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Kaylee's sure sign of low is that she says she cant walk! she's always right on!

6. Deannas mom

Deannas mom Approved members

Deanna's first sign of being low is shaky leggs, Ive actualy seen them shake:(
    she also gets very pale and will sweat, (these two symptome come after the shakes)

7. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

I've never seen my daughter's knees/legs shake. But when she was younger and not as articulate she would say that her legs just felt low or that she was too weak to walk. She also used to frequently say, "mom, my heart is telling me that I am low." I am sure it had something to do with the adrenaline, but she said her heart always felt weird when she was low.

Now she just says that she feels low. She doesn't elaborate. Only rarely (when she is very, very low) does she show outward symptoms of a low, I rely almost entirely on self-reporting.

8. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

I have not heard of that old wise tale.
    My daughter's most often symptom when low is complaining her legs hurt. Her hands shake while testing when were below a 60.

9. lisahackman

lisahackman Approved members

Alexa's legs either hurt or feel shaky. When she asks me to bring her the meter, it means she feels very low. She is always right on.

I am amazed that after 6 months she is so "in tune" with what is going on!

10. Noel

Noel Approved members

Aidan will say he is shaky....Most times you can see him shake....also there is something in his eyes....I can always see it.

Not so with my husband....his biggest symptom is hunger....extreme hunger. Don't usually see anything different with his eyes.

11. Mojo's mommy

Mojo's mommy Approved members

Courtneys #1 sign is shaky legs...sometimes she will not feel a low until she stands up,hence probably the reason she has NEVER detected a low at night

12. gsmom

gsmom Approved members

You people ALWAYS teach or give me more insight every time I'm here!! Gillian has been complaining that her legs hurt (no shaking though) A LOT lately. It didn't dawn on me that it could be her d as her brother has never complained of this! Man, do I feel like a total incompetant!!!

13. Mojo's mommy

Mojo's mommy Approved members

Your not incompetent at all!! Courtney also gets a ton of what we call leg aches (growing pains) that could also be what your daughter is experiencing

14. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

doesn't say they shake but....

Hi Karen, I'm going to check next time he's low. That way I can see if it happens and then all the other times I can check prior to testing to see if he's faking (he'll fess up then when he knows I'm on to him!)
    Will be an interesting test.

15. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I have never noted the shaky legs but I start to sweat and become irritable especially when people try to tell me I am having a hot flash and I know I am not. I am low and I know it. Actually I am glad I am aware of the lows because I have a friend who does not and I think that is so scary

16. mom to a sports nut

mom to a sports nut Approved members

Often the first thing Melissa notices is shaky legs, then she tests.