- advertisement -

"severe" diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Charmed7, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

Ok - I have to do the set up before I explain what happened this weekend at a birthday party.

My DH would bring my DD to school for preschool last year and all the parents would mingle while they waited for the doors to open. There's one mom that has a kid in my eldest diabetic son's class. DH would talk with different parents as "groups" started to form. It wasn't until my son was hospitalized that this particular mom became interested in talking with DH. So she has been dubbed "Nosy Mom."

So this weekend at a birthday party for classmates of my DD, Nosy mom asked how son was doing. And they found out that her son is his "nurse buddy" when he needs to check his sugars. (Hubby at this point is not really interested in chatting it up, but is being polite) She then starts to talk about a cousin of a mother in law etc who has "severe" diabetes. Naturally, this rubs hubby the wrong way. He starts saying, "You either have it or you don't. I wouldn't call my wife "severly" pregnant." LOL.

Of course this morning I was getting changed and he said, "Man, you are severly pregnant!" Jerk :D

Just had to share. These types of things just make me laugh inside. ;)

C7

2. mishcoto

mishcoto Approved members

Severely pregnant~ lol

I love what your DH told that woman, I'm going to steal it and use it if the opportunity arises. (I'll have to come up with a different scenario though as my DH is not pregnant ;))

3. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

I've got to call my BFF severely pregnant. She is HUGE belly-wise this time. I think her baby #3 is gonna be a biggun!

4. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

That mom must be "severly" stupid. :D We are battling high sugars now so "she must have it bad" - not well controlled. Diabetes is like a toddler who has been given cake, kool aid, sugar and hasn't slept in 2 days - not well controlled :eek:

5. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

From the layperson's perspective, those that have all the D knowledge thanks to the media, yes there IS a severe type of diabetes. When type 2's have to go on insulin, its a more severe type.
    I just tell people Sam has the autoimmune kind, the kind he can't do anything about that no diet or exercise will change it,

I try to have compassion and realize most people truly don't know better. 5 years and 1 day ago, I was that person and I wish I still was:cwds:

6. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

LOL that's funny:D

7. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

That was funny about being severely pregnant. I have had people say they have borderline diabetes. I tell them, Oh that is like being 'borderline pregnant'

8. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Perhaps they are referring to being pre-diabetic, which Type 2s do experience before become full-blown Type 2s?

9. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Funny!

I just tell them Type 1 is an autoimmune disease (and not caused by lifestyle choices if the conversation takes that path). I don't think people mean to be unkind. Maybe she was hearing all about it from her son if he's your son's buddy.