- advertisement -

Severe Bruises

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 2' started by teacher32, Jan 3, 2012.

1. teacher32

teacher32 New Member

Three days ago I tripped and fell over a small table in an airport terminal. Both of my legs were badly bruised. My left leg was actually bleeding due to a gash on my shin which also had a large lump and the beginning of a serious bruise. My left knee was completely bruised with another lump forming under it and another lump and bruise formed on my lower right shin. I flew home thinking that the bruises and gash would quickly heal and I'd be okay. The gash on my shin is still bleeding slightly requiring a bandage, but the lump has gone down and the bruise seems to be healing. My right knee is completely black and dark purple, and the lump is still there including a spongy area where I'm afraid blood may have accumulated. My knee is numb whenever I touch it, but I can bend my leg and walk for short periods of time without as much pain. Since this happened on New Year's Eve, my doctors offices have been closed until today. My question is should I just wait a few more days to see how my legs feel or should I contact one of my doctors and have them take a look at my "banged-up" legs. Having Type 2 diabetes sometimes complicates situations that would ordinarily be simple so I'm in a quandry about what I should do.:confused:

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

I don't have type 2 - so I can't speak to that.

However I did a nasty fall on some concrete stairs last year and went right down on my knee (or just below it actually) and wow did that hurt! It was black and swollen - but nothing broken. It hurt to walk but I had no real trouble walking - more like the way a bruise would hurt not something really messed up.

The accumulated blood from the bruise did start to drain down into my foot and cause my ankle and foot to turn black too - and swollen a bit.

I kept it elevated and iced as much as I could for the first few days. I think I went to the doctor to make sure it was good but I can't remember.

Under the circumstances you don't want an infection to get in there - I suggest contacting the doctor and going in - better safe than sorry if you can.