- advertisement -

Service Dogs in College

Discussion in 'Diabetes and College' started by Dancerwithadog, May 26, 2010.

1. Dancerwithadog

Dancerwithadog Approved members

I'll be heading off to college in one year and my decison to take my service dog with me is a hard one. Her name is Izzie and she's 3 and a half years old..she alerts to my blood sugar going high or low and my parents and I decided she would be a good idea for college..the university I'm planning on going to Texas Tech in Lubbock Texas and they are very supportive in my decision to bring her out there. I think if you have the time and are willing to spend time training a diabetic alert dog is something to look in for college..just think your parents wont be there to wake you up to test and I know I dont wake up to my CGM alarm going off its not loud enough for me but Izzie wakes me up to test and will retrieve whatever i may need insulin out of the fridge, juices, etc. Give me some feedback with what you think :)

2. Rukio

Rukio Banned

I think it would probably be a good idea to take your dog then. ^^

3. gboysmom

gboysmom Approved members

I think that is an outstanding idea and I LOVE that Tech is supporting you in this decision. :D

4. Dancerwithadog

See that's what I'm thinking she should go with me..without her my A1C wouldn't be an 8.4 I mean that's not perfect but its good for me

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

If you think she'll help you while in school.. then you should take her.. if you don't take her.. how would that effect her? By that I mean, would she 'lose' some of her training? Like after you've been in school all year, and during summer vacation you don't retain everything.. would she be lost without you? I think it's probably best for both of you for you to take her with you. :)

6. Dancerwithadog

She really would be lost without me and I would be lost without her she's like my security blanket..and I'm so glad tech is being supportive of her :)

7. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

Hi!

I see you are in Sherman. We are in Texas as well. Where did you get your diabetes dog?

My 9-year-old son was just diagnosed in March, but he's heard of these dogs and his heart longs for one.

Ummmm.....I kind of like the idea, too! :)

Thanks!

8. Dancerwithadog

Nice to meet you too! I got my service dog from pawsibilities unleahsed in frankfort kentucky, just letting you know its a lot of work having a service dog and takes a lot of time :)

9. Ali

Ali Approved members

Do a search on the general CWD site about service dogs. Lots of info and lots re the good and not so good organizations training dogs.:cwds: Ali

10. kbarcelona

kbarcelona New Member

Hi! My name is Kaysey. I have been diabetic for 7 years now and I am almost 17 years old. I am at the point now where I am getting ready for college. I have one year left in high school then I am on my own! While I am very excited, I am also very nervous. In the middle of the night I experience severe lows, and I rely on my mom to wake me in the morning to test me and get me juice. While I am in college I don't know what I am going to do. That's when the idea of a diabetes alert dog came up. I am doing a lot of research over the internet and my mom thinks it is a wonderful idea. I was wondering how much your dog cost you? I know there are some non-profit organizations, and then there are others that are very expensive. Please let me know!

11. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

12. StageMom

StageMom Approved members

This is something that we would like to eventually look into as well. We are dog people, but I lost one of my four legged kiddos two years ago, and my only dog will be eleven this summer. I think she is feeling her age, too. My nine year old T1 would love to have a dog of his own, and I'm thinking a DAD would be a great companion and help to him and us.