- advertisement -

Service Dogs for diabetic children

Discussion in 'Other Hot Topics' started by lycaonia, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee

Lee Approved members

I asked a legitimate question and hope that you supply and answer since her child cannot wear a cgm.

Being a friend of Frizz's, I guess that makes me another member of the posse...

Wow - I honestly don't know why talking about dogs sets you off so much - everytime someone DARES to mention something against dogs, you fly off the handle and go off on them and accuse them of being in a posse. EVERY SINGLE TIME! Well, actually, you don't usually contradict Jeff - but every other person. When you start seeing attacks when there are none made, it is time for some introspection on why certain posters set you off every single time. And if self reflection doesn't work, well, I mean, they make meds for that you know.

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

who's Morrighan? or am I reading that wrong?:)

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

LOL - Jeff, you've got your marching orders from Rukio! An "actual realistic opinion" wants us to "shut our pie hole" and "crud" - quaking in my boots ... really, I am...

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  4. Rukio

Rukio Banned

XD

If I am in the right, then hear this, if not, you've been warned.

Answer me this, how many of the people who are against the D dog have actuallly had one? How many? Until they have had one, I don't believe they should be allowed to post their opinion on them. =3

~Rukio

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

:confused:

really, really confused

6. Flutterby

Never had one.... I'm NOT against the alert dogs.. not at all.. if you go back and re-read my threads, you'll see..

Sorry, public forum.. I'm allowed to post my opinion wherever I like..

didn't you just ask everyone to stop? and now you are continueing?

7. Rukio

Rukio Banned

Well, I don't care if I do get kicked off the site, because you know what? I'm not sure I even like putting up with smarties like your post. =3 Besides, shouldn't we get back on topic now? Unless you can further destroy this topic.

(Maybe D dog topics should be banned, because they cause such an issue)

To answer your question about Morrighan, shes a celtic myth that I generally use due to having played Mabinogi so long. ^^

8. Rukio

Rukio Banned

I wasn't refering to you. Plus, I was just wondering, just wondering if their opinion is on fact/experience or just believes/what they've heard. =3

9. Flutterby

ok.. thanks, thought I missed something there.. ;)

10. Rukio

Rukio Banned

xD I get that question occasionally.
    Um, I PM'd the OP giving them some of the information I had discovered while trying to find my own D dog. I take it the flame war is now a calmer zone? =3

11. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Very astute from such a young one!

BTW, to the OP: We have worked with Liz Norris from PawsibilitiesUnleashed in Frankfurt, KY. You can find a link to her from my DD's website. PM me and I'll answer your questions. The usual suspects have turned this thread into a joke so that it will be closed. It's their M.O. so just try to ignore it.

You might find it funny/interesting that my kids just got yearbooks and there is a pic of my son, a pic of my daughter, and a pic of "Shots" in the Freshman class photos. He's also listed in the back and appears on several pages throughout the yearbook. He's just one of the kids at school.

12. Flutterby

yes, yes, indeed.. its very predictable. :rolleyes:

13. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I've always wanted to be in a posse. Usually I am Head Ilk, but I think I can be posse.

I think dogs are wonderful creatures, whether they alert or not. I do hate cleaning their feet when they've been in the mud, but I love them to pieces. And of course my dogs have always been the smartest ones around. :rolleyes:

There are some people here asking genuinely for information. Sadly, it seems much of the information is anecdotal, and a number of the providers of alert dogs have proven to be unscrupulous. Others seem to be more than above board. We also have anecdotal reports of cats alerting. I don't pay attention to those, because I am deathly allergic.

I agree with Jeff and with others that there is no scientific evidence to support animal alerting. I enjoy reading about the pups and the process, nonetheless. I have also learned to be on watch for the dog signal that flashes in the night sky every.single.time this topic comes up. Our own little CWD version of the Twilight Bark.

Rukio, dear, now that I'm aware that Morrigan is monitoring our forum, I'm doing my level best to hold myself in check.

I must depart now, as my non-alerting schnauzer is disturbed by his boy's frustration with a video game. I am not making this up.

14. Rukio

Rukio Banned

I merely use them as a reference and they are in fact a myth and that I do not like using Gods name outside of praise for him.
    I will not lower myself to your level now, I have had my moment, that was yours. Lets move on now. And its Morrighan, in case you didn't realize the correct way of spelling it =3

OP: generally they only accept kids 12-13 and older, make sure that your kid is willing to help with caring for it, look at as many places as possible, actually go there unnancounced if they will let you, so you know what it really looks like.

15. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Clearly there is a lot of passion around the use of dogs as low detectors. At this moment in time, however, there is no science to support their use. Could a well designed study demonstrate that a trained alert dog can sense a low (or high)? We shall see.

My point is simply that those who claim that dogs will always alert to a low have no basis in science to make that claim right now. A few people reporting that their dog "does something" when they're low is not science. It's interesting, and is worthly of research, but in and of itself those claims are just that -- claims.

Today's CGMs have ample evidence to support their claims. Do they work perfectly? No. Is science demonstrating that the use of CGM is changing diabetes care for the better? Yes.

I'm going to close the thread because I believe that the discussion has run its course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.