- advertisement -

Service Dogs for diabetic children

Discussion in 'Other Hot Topics' started by lycaonia, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

This is a common hot topic on this board.. Every few months this subject comes up.. search alert dog, and you'll see..

My point in posting is that Alert dogs sound wonderful.. they truely do.. but they aren't all butterflies and rainbows.. it takes a lot of work and a lot of money.. not only training the dog, but then feeding and generally taking care of the dog. The flip side needs to be looked at as well.. the general care and needs of a dog, grooming and vet bills.. and then add in the extras of an alert dog. The training, on going training of the dog..

It most definitely comes down to personal choice.. I'd love a dog that would alert to lows and highs at home.. but I'm not interested in having a dog under my feet 24/7, going everywhere with us.. I'm quite sure it would irritate Kaylee.. an alert dog will attract attention as well. sure the plastic piece of a cgms will cause stares, but you can, for the most part, hide that so no one sees it, an alert dog you can't - unless, of course, you have a pocket puppy :)-

Its obviously a very personal and extremely important decision, like I said before, you get an alert dog and it doesn't work out (for whatever reason) you are out a LOT of money and you can't just put the dog in a drawer. So, while there are some here who have fantasticly amazing alert dogs, its not always the case and those asking about alert dogs should also know about the down side and what could go wrong.. all the 'what ifs' need to be thought of and they should understand its not all rainbows and butterfies when you get an alert dog.

2. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Some people are not capable of having an "intelligent conversation" but only want to jump into subjects of which they are totally ignorant just to stir the pot. It's a huge pattern with them and not worth wasting your time on. It's the only reason these threads get out of control & people can't get the information they are looking for.

For anyone interested, the Barbara Davis Center in Denver is, at this very moment, putting together a study to show proof that these dogs work. The details are being organized and the funding is being raised. The study should prove that not only do the dogs work better and are more accurate & dependable than a CGMS, they can beat any meter by 15 to 30 minutes. If anyone is interested in backing the study with financing I will be more than happy to give you the contact.

Have these dogs been proven yet? No. Have they been DISproven? Heck no! Can dogs do this? Beyond a shadow of a doubt. I've seen it with many dogs & many diabetics. Do you disbelieve that dogs can sniff drugs, bombs, cadavers? How many studies are there for those? I don't know & I don't care but I believe they can.

BTW, all three of our dogs, even the "family pets" alert on drugs and they've never been trained to do so. Our diabetic alert dog also can alert on people who have seizures.

One last comment: I also believe in God. Just a little thing called "faith".

3. Rukio

Rukio Banned

This is why I look up to you...

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Why do this? No one else is doing this.

5. KatieJane'smom

Really? Really? Are you serious?

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Wow! It's fascinating that you know the results of the study before it even happens! With that kind of predictive ability, YOU could probably be an alert dog. ;)

I'll be especially interested to see how a dog can "beat" a meter. BG is BG.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Yes, really. It's not that complicated.

Other people are disagreeing on the issue - disagreeing, but not being disagreeable. Your post makes accusations about people's character and motive, there is, a huge difference between the two.

8. Flutterby

WOW.. I didn't know have a difference of opinion resulted in having lack of intelligence or being ignorant.

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I'm sure Katie Jane's mom is speaking to me to which I'll say that I was simply quoting a line that Jeff has used himself in the past. And I'm sure Jeff is a pot-stirrer.:rolleyes:

10. KatieJane'smom

Here's just one example...you can read back for the rest. Not wasting my time on it as I see the usual posse has been rounded up and is on the attack. This has nothing at all to do with the OP's question. Why are you all turning it into something else? Hmmm... Curiouser and curiouser!

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

11. frizzyrazzy

KJM the only who has turned this into something is YOU. I made my statement earlier, I disagreed, I chose to not continue the conversation. END OF STORY. YOU have dug it back up, you have come out and attacked at me, YOU have stirred the pot, which you always do. And in about 5 min you and your alternate id's will all show up singing the praises of dogs. Seriously. Get over it already.

12. Flutterby

I'm sorry, but I'm so tired of this.. this discussion was going just fine.. no one was arguing until YOU started calling people ignorant and not having an intelligent conversation.. YOU are being rude.. You know.. there are usually a few that speak up to you.. you know why? because everyone else is afraid of you.

You are the one that turned this into something else.. go back and reread the thread.. It was completely on subject until this post
    The ONLY pot stiring I see is coming from you.. Calling other ignorant and incapable of having an intellegent conversation goes beyond rude.

13. KatieJane'smom

Actually FrizzyRazzy is the one who said the things you are accusing me of. She's the one I was quoting in both your examples above.

I actually haven't done anything but what I usually do - answer the OP and give information.

(Isn't there one more posse member that hasn't shown up yet?)

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Isn't this just a bit infantile? Not to mention, inaccurate?:rolleyes:

15. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

You quoted two words out of her post, yet claim to have accurately represented what she said. So, yeah. You pretty much haven't done anything but what you usually do.

We gave her the night off. We can't be on the patrol for hypocrisy and pot-stirring 24/7, you know. ;)

16. frizzyrazzy

Actually, my quote needs to be read in context. I was disagreeing with the assertion that empirical evidence is just as good as scientific research and that I could see that it was going to be impossible to have an intelligent conversation (due to the heated nature of this topic) and which I removed myself from the conversation and never said another word about. Saying we cannot have an intelligent conversation (when one person's mind is already made up) is a far different thing than saying someone is unintelligent.

If anyone is a posse, it's you who only shows up every time a dog thread happens.

Seriously, back the hell off. I rarely speak to you or respond to your posts because any time I do you jump all over me. BACK OFF.

17. Lee

Lee Approved members

I am not being rude, but I am curious - you are doing fund-raising to pay for Maggie, Chell's Dog. Chell has had Maggie for quite a while. Did they let you take Maggie home without the full payment? I have a friend whose child cannot wear a CGMS and I mentioned an alert dog, but the continued fund-raising is a little intimidating, since she is broker then me (which is pretty darn near flat broke)! She has asked me quite a few questions and they all center around cost!

How much did Maggie cost and did they let you pay on installments?

18. Flutterby

So, what your saying is you didn't call people incapable of having an intelligent conversation and you didn't call people ignorant?? You're telling me that Frizzy logged into your account and posted the above quote??

Frizzy said a simple thing, if you want a family pet, get a dog, if you want a cgms, get a cgms.. JEFF has said it..

You've got that right!

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about..

I've gone back and read the thread.. everything was perfectly fine until you came back and started calling people names.. and now you'll say we're all mean..

I don't understand why those that don't use a alert dog can't have a conversation in a thread about alert dogs without you getting huffy? We all know you have an amazing alert dog.. but that doesn't mean you 'own' the thread.. its a public forum and people are allowed to post their opinions even if they do not agree with you.. Its doesn't make anyone ignorant or incapable of having an intelligent conversation.

19. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

No, no one is doing any fund raising for Maggie & Chell..its all up to us. For the rest of the question Lee..Pm me privately here or on FB, and we will chat. Thanks,

Michelle

20. Rukio

Rukio Banned

Because I can...

I am going to try not to mini-mod, but please, coming from a middle source, can you shut it about who is accusing and crud! Geeze. This is one of the few times I will have an actual realistic opinion.

You guys are not in the right to accuse anyone of stirring the pot, Morrighan knows you all have done it at one point or another. Now then, may we please drop that topic and go back to helping the OP?!?!
    In fact, I do it quite a bit to see if people are mature enough to grow up and realize they should act better about a subject, agree to disagree and move on. Can you please agree to disagree and move on?

-Flame me signal-
    ~Rukio
    lirl, I type to slow >.> I was refering to sarah, frizzy, hawkeyegirl and Katiejanes mom =3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.