- advertisement -

Service dogs for diabetes

Discussion in 'Other Hot Topics' started by Jeff, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Have they really? I don't remember.

The question is not a side by side comparison of either's pros & cons. It's how invasive either is. In the day to day activities. What do they prefer with respect to this aspect?

I don't remember this being addressed. If it has, then ignore it.

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Thought this was cool (bold is mine). Yeah, Yahoo News is maybe not the best source, but anyway.;)

Would be nice if the studies mentioned in the ADA article I posted earlier would come to light.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/life/answered-lifes-25-toughest-questions-1453059/

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

I want to re-iterate that I have drawn no conclusions about this subject. I, too, am a tad confused why this topic draws, what seems like, so much hostility. I have said I haven't watched this topic historically so I can't be sure there's not some history there.

In any event, I think it shouldn't be surprising that some people are skeptical - I know I am - but being skeptical doesn't mean one disbelieves until proven true. I haven't dismissed anything out of hand and do find the topic interesting.

With that having been said, me being a skeptic I should tell you, you should be aware that your "100% accurate" statement is sure to trigger skeptics - which is understandable. This is why I asked you to clarify what that means. In all honestly I'm not sure if you mean the dog never fails to alert on a high or low or if you mean that when the dog does alert it always correlates to a high or low. This may not seem like a difference but there is quite a difference between the two - scientifically. I wouldn't judge between the two but it would certainly serve to clarify and to help those of us who are genuinely curious to better understand.

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Some interesting articles I came across.

http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/blog/flashpoints/dogs-for-diabetes/

Dogs for Diabetes
    by Quinn PhillipsDogs have long been trained to assist people with certain medical conditions, including mobility impairment and blindness. Now, diabetes is getting added to the list, at least experimentally.

Cancer and Bio-detection Dogs, a nonprofit center and sponsor of research in Aylesbury, England, is in the process of training 17 Diabetic Hypo-Alert Dogs to detect hypoglycemia in people with diabetes. Dogs? sense of smell can be sharp enough to detect changes in blood glucose level before humans notice them, possibly a boon to people who frequently experience low blood glucose or who have hypoglycemia unawareness.

According to an article on the Today show Web site about the program, 65% of people with Type 1 diabetes reported in a survey (conducted last year at Queen's University Belfast) that their dogs reacted when they had episodes of hypoglycemia. But no large trial has been conducted to study how early, and how effectively, dogs detect blood glucose changes, or to discern whether other technology such as a continuous glucose monitor might accomplish the same goals more effectively or at a lower cost. The chief executive of Cancer and Bio-detection Dogs maintains that dogs can detect blood chemical changes in the realm of parts per trillion, something that no external man-made sensor can do.

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/lifestyles/article_9f92df12-369c-11df-916c-001cc4c03286.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5183290/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carrie-pollare/doggies-rule-the-story-of_b_185379.html

http://www.rps.psu.edu/probing/sniffing.html

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

See, this is what I don't get. You are happy to answer questions, but not from some people. You can snark and be pissy, and it's a "joke" and we should all "lighten up." If anyone else does, it's "hateful" and the "mean girls posse." Speaking of being a mean girl, I'd say posting crap on FB behind people's back is the true definition of a mean girl. At least I'm honest enough to say what I think to your face.

As for it being the exact same conversation, I'm puzzled. I can think of at least two things you said that I've never heard before - that of BG dropping in non-Ds before they have a seizure and the study at Barbara Davis. People asked you (politely) for follow-up information and you have thus far declined to give it. It's certainly up to you whether you want to post more or not, but we are not just retreading the same ground here, at least from my POV.

Here's the thing. You are not the thread police. Threads evolve as people post, and it is not for you to say what they are or are not meant to be. I will continue to read and comment in these threads because they're interesting to me. I also suspect that if I stated in a CGM thread that CGMs were 100% accurate or better in most every way than dogs, you'd have a thing or two to say about it, but I don't make such outlandish and unsupportable statements.

6. Rukio

Rukio Banned

Anything that is rude, abusive, or vulgar
    =3 TOS
    children read this ya know.
    Anyways, I am honestly curious as to how dogs do it, sense the Bg that is.

7. hawkeyegirl

Report it, then. You hear worse on network TV. :rolleyes:

8. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

When I use finger sticks they're 100% accurate at catching lows too - except when I don't check and miss one. So my questions are exactly the same as yours - accurate against what criteria? Catches EVERY low or high, and how do you know that.

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

Honestly Rukio, this is an adult part of the forum, it is not in the Teen or Children's section. If you take offense to those two very tame words, then you are just as responsible for reading them as we are for writing them.

Jeff does have a filter in place that does not allow bad words...like ****. He does this so no one gets offended by intentional or unintentional foul language. Those two words are not classified as foul.

10. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Rukio, Im not sure if people realize that you are a 13 year old I believe:confused: Im not sure why you spend the majority of your time reading the parents of children with diabetes or threads in Hot topics. Have you looked at the kids or teens sections of the forums? I think the subject matter in those sections may be more at your maturity level

11. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

12. Rukio

Rukio Banned

Well
    A. I'm not refering to myself, some kid may get on here trying to find information and stumble upon that.
    B. Have you seen the activity for teens/kids almost nothing o.o
    C. Nei, I doubt it, I cant hardly decode chat speak nowadays. x.x

13. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Great article, Michelle. Kinda blows those theories way out of the water about the dogs "not being able to pick their person out of a hundred others" or "not being able to alert at a distance", huh?

14. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Now again, that was snippy. You are the one calling out people for attitude when I clearly see it there. You wonder why people get defensive when you post about your dog - that's why!

15. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Very interesting article Michelle.. this is amazing
    Their explination of the way a dog tracks humans was also pretty interesting, the way its done in phases...

For the record.. I don't think anyone doubted that a dog smell is amazing.. I think that is a pretty well known fact..

In anycase.. thanks for the links.. :cwds:

16. Rukio

Rukio Banned

o_O that didn't sound snippy to me at all, sounded like she was just making a statement.

17. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

How was that snippy at all? Just saying it contradicts those theories. Others can pick apart my every word but I have to keep my mouth shut in return? Is it any wonder that I might have an attitude after all the hate thrown at me? I'm perfectly fine just posting our experience which seems fine with everyone except a select few. Noticed they went after someone else earlier today on another thread so I shouldn't take it personally.

The "mean girl posse" as they seem to like to call themselves has literally run every other SD owner, except me & Michelle, off this site. I happen to feel sorry for people like that. How unhappy they must be to be so hateful.

Here is a direct quote from Brynn, who was just posting a day or so ago, "I will NEVER go back there again!"

18. Rukio

Rukio Banned

Oh. My. Morrighan. Brynn left? D=
    *you left me out. though corgi isnt certified yet, she still goes most places with me now. xDDD

19. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

I found the dog smelling article interesting..thats why I posted it.

Kim....Chell and I play games with Maggie, to get maggie to track her scent.

Have you ever seen the k-9 dogs track a person who is lost or kidnapped. A few years ago when we lived in Illinois, we were able to see how the K-9 police force was able to track a persons scent. It was a demonstration only....but it was amazing to watch!

Michelle

20. hawkeyegirl

That's funny. She's viewing the forums right now. :rolleyes: And we don't call ourselves the mean girl posse. That came from your FB status. ;)

ETA: Interesting articles, Michelle! The cancer-sniffing thing is pretty cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.