- advertisement -

served coke over and over....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof2here, Aug 5, 2012.

1. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

Just a lil' vent because I know many of you will understand...

It is so irritating to get a regular coke instead of a diet at a drive thru and then, thankfully discover it before your kid drinks all 32 oz.... then return it and try to explain why something like this is important and you are met with a 'who cares' attitude by the Wendy's manager (no apology, in fact just rudeness) THEN you get the next drink and it, too, is Coke.

Then you go inside to talk to a different manager because the previous one is hiding and she claims to understand BUT, as it turns out, the machine is dispensing just coke, not diet. I explained that it has been meter tested and it clearly tastes like coke. She proceeds to doubt by saying that her employees, who drink diet, would have said something if it was not diet (um, that is not true because they didn't say anything and it wasn't diet). I asked her to try it and she did and then had no comment for me.

She understands so much that they continue to take orders for diet coke and fill them with coke (the lines are clearly messed up). I told her that she needs to check the lines as they are switched. She says she does them herself every morning and it is a Coke issue. They will contact Coke tomorrow (while still serving 'diet' which is really COKE and taking orders for 'diet').

Clueless.

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Contact Wendy's world headquarters. Give dates and times so that they can address the managers.

We've had this happen, and yes, it is frustrating. Especially when it's a day that 100 proof soda just won't respond to insulin.

3. timsma

timsma Approved members

This happened to us many years ago at a McDonalds. It turned out to be a coke issue. THey had regular coke in the boxes labeled as diet coke. We tested many of them for them, and about the 8th one in, it was finally actually diet rather than regular. They mislabeled many boxes. For a thank you to us for testing them to find out the problem, they gave us many coupons for free products. So it may actually have nothing to do with Wendy's at all. Just wanted to share our experience with you.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Stuff like that happens. Good thing we can use the meter to check. I wouldn't let it bother me - the world at large doesn't really get why it matters - trying to press the point over such a small matter is only going to make you crazy and make your son anxious.

jmho

5. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

How frustrating!! I hope your ds's bg didn't shoot through the roof. I like the meter trick to see if the soda is diet or regular....curious if all meters can do that?

6. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

Allison, I know the ping meter does. If you test diet it says BG low. I havent tested for regular soda yet.

OP sory to hear about the mix up.

7. timsma

timsma Approved members

You don't need a meter to test the pop. Just carry the diastixs with you and dip one in the pop to see if it has sugar in it or not. Of course if you prefer to test it on the meter for sugar, you can do that too. We've used the diastix for almost 16 years now since he can't ALWAYS detect the taste of sugar pop vs diet.

8. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Thanks for the diastix tip. Do you purchase them online? I Google to see, but if you have a favorite place to purchase...can you let me know. Thanks!

@Jennie thanks for letting me know the ping meter can test sodas. :cwds:

9. sooz

sooz Approved members

Wow good for you for catching that, TWICE! It just goes to show how important paying attention to everything is. I can only imagine how high he would have gone if he had innocently and unknowingly drunk that coke. It is disturbing to think how many other people were affected by that mistake. Thanks for an important heads up.

10. momof2here

Thanks for your input.

I did leave my son in the car, we had our dog with and it worked out that he stayed in the car with it running w/ac while I spoke to the manager and returned the second beverage.

11. momof2here

Wow, mcd's handled it nicely! :)

12. momof2here

Thanks for your nice note :)

It just makes every situation better when nice people like you all chime in and make it better! :)

Thanks to you and everyone!

13. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Regular soda reads "high" just like your BS might if you don't catch it. Diet reads either "error" or 'low" depending on the type of fountain dispensing it (sometimes there is a slight amount of contamination.. not enough to contribute a significant amount of carbs, but enough that there's "something" for the meter to read instead of causing an error because there's no glucose in the sample at all).

It happened to me about 18 months ago, I had a bit of a cold so I didn't immediately taste the difference (normally I can, plus regular soda causes almost a burning feeling in the back of my throat from the sugar - kind of like honey does), and since we were in the middle of our kitchen remodel I was super thirsty (likely bordering on dehydrated from all the physical work) when we went to lunch where they had a self-serve soda fountain, and I know that I didn't just fill my cup with regular, but I downed two sodas while we waited for our food and another while we ate (which I didn't finish and took with us).. only to be greeted with a 583 about 90 minutes later when I was wondering why I felt so yucky and had a wicked headache when my BS was fine before lunch. I wasn't wearing my dexcom at the time or I might have caught it sooner.

For some reason I never finished the drink I took with me and I tested it and it was regular.. I was so mad.

14. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

It happens a lot. It really does. Not just in fast food joints. Luckily I can usually tell the difference by taste, and so can T. Immediately. If you happen to be at a place serving sodas in glasses, the diet version is visibly darker than the regular.

So, even if you get a place to change their practices, the next one down the street can still mess up. Ever vigilant.

15. caspi

caspi Approved members

My son is able to tell the difference between a regular soda and diet with just one sip so it really wouldn't have been that huge of an issue for us personally (i.e. he wouldn't have downed all 32 or so ounces of a regular soda). I guess it depends on the age of the child (my son is 13). He's told me in the past that the drink was regular, we've brought it back and they switched it out. These things happen. Machines malfunction and clueless people are.... clueless. ;)

16. Ali

Ali Approved members

It can be hard to tell. I often use my hubby as my tester. I actually rarely order diet on my own (mainly cause I am too cheap and just go with water:eek:), but do know that I have been served sugar soda by mistak, either by server or machine, once in a while (based on later tests:eek:). I do question my drinks almost all the time when I order sugar or alcohol free, and my hubby or kids check for me.:cwds:ali

17. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

Never realized how lucky I am that Hanna hates soda!

18. timsma

timsma Approved members

You can buy them at any drugstore. Sometimes they're behind the pharmacy counter. I buy the bottle of 50 count and just keep them in my purse, and Tim has a bottle in his diabetes bag as well. They are the same strips one would use to test the urine for sugar presence.

19. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We've had this happen to us, several times. Once we asked for a light lemonade and ended up with a sprite.. its a good thing my daughter doesn't like bubbles, otherwise I wouldn't have know. Other times we've gotten rootbeer instead of diet and regular cook instead of diet. MOST of the time they appologize and fix the problem asap.

20. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

I had something similar happen. I ordered Molly a small sugar free sno-cone from a local place and then when they handed it to me I asked again "sugar free, right?" They said yes, I didn't taste it to make sure because I trusted them, not my best decision. Molly is only 6 so she wasn't paying any attention to whether it tasted diet or not. We had no idea until we tested an hour or two later and her BG was 470! I was pretty mad, but now I just make sure and watch them make it and then I know for sure and we haven't had any crazy BGs after sno-cones since.