- advertisement -

Seriously considering ditching the pods

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jaredsmom, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

Our 4 years is up and quite frankly as of late I have not been very happy with the pods. Getting a lot of highs on the 3 rd day some with ketones. We completely changed where we were putting them went from stomach to arms with seamed to help but now he is knocking them off at times in addition to having occlutions with no alarm which lead to ketones. Also tired of the highs after pod changes which for the most part we can but not always. Just wondering if being untethered is really worth all the hassle. I have been looking at the animas ping and thinking it would solve the issues we our having, plus we like the remote and the fact that it should soon be integrated with dexcom. Just looking for some insite.

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

If you really want the CGM now I wouldn't hold your breath for Animas integrated coming soon. It is closer, but still in the approval process. We were originally told the later half of 2010, but that has come and gone. Mainly the hold up is because they are trying to get FDA approval for use on kids.

IMO it's a later rather than sooner.

3. KaseyK

KaseyK Approved members

I think if youre having that many issues Id lean towards a new pump. I hear the tslim is pretty awesome!

We are lovong the Omnipod, but a tubed pump just isnt an option for my crazy 5 yr old. In the summer we have issues keeping the pods on because of swimming but othere than that his arms are the best spot for us

4. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Molly loves the Ping...and after the initial learning curve of inserting the insets, hasn't had much of a problem. I will say, though, that Molly switches out every 2 days...just couldn't get more out of the sites. Once we bit the bullet on that, life was a lot more consistent! It was nice to try different infusion sets, too! Be aware, though, that once Animas integrates with Dexcom, the pump won't have a remote. Molly really only uses it when she wears a dress--otherwise she just grabs her pump, calibrates the carbs and ratio in her head and puts in the insulin amount.

5. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

How do you know he's having occlusions? I know people who recently started having issues with suddenly needing to change sets every couple of days, or even every day on tubed pumps, so they have their drawbacks too. I think if you're tired of the pod, by all means switch, but I don't want you to think all your problems will be solved and then get frustrated all over again.

6. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

When Charlie started pumping the rep told us that the Dexcom would be integrated within the year. That was abot 4 years ago. :rolleyes: We love the remote on the Ping and use it 99% of the time and we have always had good customer service from Animas. That being said, it's about time for a new pump and we are looking at the other pumps. Charlie wants tubeless and we want integrated CGM.

7. ShelbysMom

ShelbysMom Approved members

First pump we went on was the Omnipod.....loved it for about a year...but started having some of the same problems as you...Went ahead with the switch to Minimed and haven't looked back. DD loved the MM from the first day....but by that point we were really frustrated with the pod. I think sometimes its just nice to have a change...the tubing really hasn't been a big deal at all (I was surprised). Also, we had to do a little tweaking with her cannula length and made me wonder if that wasn't some of our problem with Omnipod....once we went to Minimed with longer cannula, we had much better luck with sites....we swim a lot during summer and its so nice not to worry about pod coming off....we just disconnect for an hour and swim...

But for some, Omnipod works wonderful....I think if you are ready for a change, you should go for it....I'm considering Ping as well for next pump just because it seems it will be the first integrated with Dex - who knows when:(....unless new minimed sensor comes out and we love it....(not so crazy about current sensor with Minimed).

8. Jaredsmom

How long will they let you try out a pump at this point we have plenty of pods to switch back if it doesn't work out and the pdm was replaced under warranty not long ago. So if it didn't resolve our issues or he didn't like it we could always switch back. What I am thinking is he would benefit from a steel cannula or maybe just a longer one and that is not an option with omnipod. Also it is a possibility that we may not have as good of insurance in 14. Mths my dh contract is up with the company he works for and since it was bought out we don't know what will happen when they are up for contract renewal. I have the option of insurance through my work but it sucks and the pods are a lot more expensive ongoing than just buying a pump and then supplies since our max out of pocket has almost been meet for this year.

9. Traci

Traci Approved members

You'll have the PDM, so switching shouldn't be a big deal. If you don't like the new one, you can always just order more pods instead of sets and cartridges. I think quite a few people go back and forth without problems. We love no tubing, but were on a tubed pump before and don't want to go back to that. In my experience, any issues we've had with the pods seem to resolve after a few months. It's constantly changing.

10. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

Keep in mind that insurance only lets you upgrade about every 4 yrs. Unless you're up for a pump upgrade, you may have to pay a lot for the pump. Check it out with your insurance.

We are podders, been at it for about 4 months and do love it. We've learned to tape every pod down or it will come off the tape. We use several areas, butt, arms, thighs.

I will say this though, a friend of ours also podded for many years for her son since he was 2. Recently though at age 5 they started having terrible times keeping the tape on him and the pods would constantly come off. They had to switch to the Ping, even though she was hesitant about the tubing. She said she was amazed at the difference. The biggest thing she mentioned was not having a post site high change. She didn't know why either, but something about the pod would cause highs at the change. We don't have this issue yet thankfully. Our son is still on very small amounts of insulin which I think help that.

But if you're seriously having concerns, then definitely look into the ping.

Wish you the best with your decision!

11. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I agree that you should definitely check it out with your insurance, but you should know that policies may vary widely. Not all limit you to four years.

12. Jaredsmom

We are have had our omnipod 4 1/2 years so we are due for a new pump. Max oop pretty much met for this year too so the pump would be covered pretty much all but maybe $110 so it's the perfect time for him to get a new pump. He is 13 now so thought about looking at the tslim as well. In the end it will be his decision, but I know he is getting frustrated with the pods as well about 2 months ago he said he wanted to quit pumping because a pod failed overnight and landed him in the hospital in ketoacidosis. Also he gets really ticked of when they fail and he has to change it early. Not to say that won't happen with a tubbed pump but I feel like we need to try something different at this point.

13. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We already have our Animas Vibe so they are out there.. Just FDA holding them up... I would HOPE that they aren't too far away for you..

14. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

If that's the case, you might want to think about going untethered regardless of what pump he's on.

15. Dan

Dan Approved members

I am sorry you have been having so many issues with your Pods. We have been Podding for about the same amount of time as you guys have. However, I have not had the same issues. If it were me I would hold out a few more months until the new smaller pod comes out and see if this resolves your issues. If not I would consider the T-Slim.

I have played with the T-Slim on two occasions and I like the ease of use. My son is going to be 9 this December so I have to consider something that he will be able to use on his own. I also like the fact that all the settings are on one screen and can be changed every hour. This would lead to much better basal controls for us.

If I was going to wait a little I may consider the Vibe since we already have the G4 and an integrated CGM would be great.

Dan

16. Jaredsmom

We have decided to go with the ping going to call his endo on Monday to get the ball rolling. Jared is actually very open to being teathered and likes the remote. Also the fact that he can bolus from the remote or directly from the pump if he leaves his remote in another rm.

17. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Just keep in mind that if the numbers are consistently creeping up on the 3rd day, you can always switch out the infusion set (without changing the cartridge) every 2 or 2 1/2 days! Doing that made our lives so much better!! We'd put in a new infusion set, detach the new tubbing...set it aside in a baggie, and attach the current insulin filled tubbing we had been using to the new set (filling the new canula, of course). We'd use the tubbing that we set aside when we switched out to a new cartridge. That way, the cartridge and tubbing always were changed every 3 days, regardless of how frequently we switched out the infusion set. Hope that makes sense! :) Hope you love it!

18. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

pods - day three

We have experienced similar issues on day three with the pods and we were told that some kids' pods tend to, by day three, get clogged with cells and cause delivery to be stubborn - particularly in times of strong growth. So, the remedy of this is to get a three month prescription of five boxes of pods and change them every 2 days instead of three. That is what we did (rather than continually experience a high on day three) and that absolutely solved the problem.

So, just fill it up with less insulin and change every two days. Insurance covered this because it was a recommendation by our medical team in collaboration with Insulet.

I can sympathize with wanting to try something new but the pods are so amazing that I am just glad we worked out a kink, a long time ago, and moved on while still being able to use the pods.

Best of luck!

19. Jaredsmom

Yes our insurance would cover us changing pods every 2 days however since we pay a percentage it would also greatly increase what we pay out of pocket. This coupled with the fact that it really makes Jared mad that he has to change out pods early. We did great with the pods for 3 years but the last year not so great and he has grown a lot so that could be part of it. Another thing is we don't want to be stuck with the omnipod for four more years. At this point I have a Pdm that is 6 mths old (we just had it replaced under warranty)and 2 1/2 boxes of pods so if he wanted to go back he could.

20. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Just chiming in to note that the ping holds less than 200u - I think it's 180u. Not sure how much insulin he's using now or might be within the next 4 years but it might be something to think about if you haven't already.

Good luck with the switch :cwds: